Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

E-Bike legality in Montana.

Well here in Montana there are millions of acres of FS , BLM and state, so picking one spot is not hard. WA, ID, WY, OR have plenty also open to the public.
The spots meeting the criteria described are so plentiful and appealing in those states listed that the difficulty is in choosing the family outing destination. Colorado, the state with the most elk, is not even listed, so throw that into the mix and you've got some real opportunities. You just don't need no stinkin' E-bike or other motor to hunt ... so, get over it!

Well here in Montana there are millions of acres of FS , BLM and state, so picking one spot is not hard. WA, ID, WY, OR have plenty also open to the public.
I'm sure there are millions of acres available but what are the chances of a 76 year old having a quality hunt with a decent chance of shooting the animal he's pursuing.
Some of you guys don't take into account what your life will be like at that age. If I have to use a e bike to continue doing what I love for as long as I can so be it.

I'm sure there are millions of acres available but what are the chances of a 76 year old having a quality hunt with a decent chance of shooting the animal he's pursuing.
Some of you guys don't take into account what your life will be like at that age. If I have to use a e bike to continue doing what I love for as long as I can so be it.

I have pics of my 80 year old grandpa with a cow elk he killed. He had 2 bad hips and could hardly walk. He hunted public land right up to the end and killed elk and antelope.

At 78 I was with him when he killed a nice bull.

Not once did he feel entitled to every last inch of FS. Times have changed for sure.

Any 76 year old who feels entitled so he has a "decent chance of shooting an animal" by sacrificing public lands by increasing easier access, doesn't deserve anything but a swift kick to the crotch.

I know what its like watching my Father, Grandfather, and even myself getting older. Each year I struggle to reach the same country I did the year before, but I sure as hell don't expect the rules to change to make it easier for me.

At 76 I'll just hunt where I can and be thankful that I had the opportunities I did and be content with the knowledge that others will get to enjoy the country the way I did. I wont be whimpering on some hunting board about how its not fair that I cant ride a motorized e-bike wherever the hell I want because I'm old.

Mental midgets come out of the wood-work every time things aren't easier...news flash, hunting isn't supposed to be easy.

I guess I don't see e-bikes being to big of a deal. If a guy passes me on a non motorized bike which is legal no big deal rite. But if a guy passes me on an e-bike I should be upset. Why, the only difference is one guy is working harder than the other and a little sweatier that's it. I guess the only real thing I would be upset about is he is getting further away from people and I don't have one. Yet!

I would like to go back through the threads over the last three years and call out publicly any person who has said "it didnt matter to them" that is now BITCHING about them. lol I bet those results would be interesting to see people reversing their initial claims....

For the record I am against them being used on any public land. Always have been, always will be.

Good question Nameless Range, here are some more thoughts you have generated. Motorcycles make noise pollution, e bikes do not. Motorcycles make fumes - smell, e bikes do not. Motorcycles cause environmental damage, e bikes leave no more marks on the environment than horses or pedal bikes (which e bikes are, you do have to pedal). Those are the differences I see. I would never advocate that these bikes should be allowed in Wilderness nor on non - motorized trail systems at all. There are lots of other places to do this.
This past fall I made a trip to Idaho into the Sawtooth mountains. Motorcycles rode past us everyday, I see the e bike as a very effective tool to even these odds up for me in a way that is much easier on the land and critters than motorcycles...and i will not smell like gas or tailpipe fumes.

Thanks for the response Marshman. I appreciate it, though it is important to note that they are currently allowed on non-motorized trails on Dept of Interior lands.

I think the chief reason most land managers limit different modes of travel into the backcountry isn't fumes or noise, though those may be involved, it is ease of access. The easier a place is to get to, the more degradation a place suffers. It's not the actual disturbance on the land in terms of bike tire vs horseshit vs footprints, it's the disturbance that comes with human activity in general - with herds of homo sapiens.

There are plenty of studies highlighting ungulate displacement due to the mere fact of people flying by on trails vs folks slowly walking vs folks riding horses. I've been researching this issue for a while now and admit that thus far the results are mixed. A person could cherry pick a study showing that bikes are no more negative on a landscape than hikers, or vice versa, but I think these arguments, especially arguments about which mode of travel affect trails more, miss the mark.

One thing though, that they all agree on, is that the easier a place is to get to, the more negative effect human recreation will have on wildlife.

EDIT: I was corrected by rwc101. This Bike would not be apply to the dept of interior's order. **

I shared this video on another e-bike thread a few weeks ago. The technology is progressing and we need to be ahead of it IMO.

These are electric motorcycles and little else. They have throttles and throw rooster tails and are currently legal on Dept of Interior non motorized trails. Imagine where the tech will be in 5 years.*

It took me two days to respond to your answer to my question because I was hunting with my dad, who is 74 and is physically broken from a lifetime in the military. We drove around in a side by side, drinking coffee and bitching about the changing world. We reminisced about hunts of yesteryear when we could get away from the road and hike into our favorite deer spots. When we got to the end of the road we turned around. I never once heard a lamentation about how the wild experiences of others should bend and be compromised due to the aging of an old hunter. I think that is the way to move forward, lest we start construction on an escalator to the top Granite Peak.

Last edited:
On second thought, if things like crossbows amd e bikes would push Montana to putting the entire state on a draw like it should be, maybe I do support them.

maybe their advocates are playing the long game and trying to push success rates and human encroachment to a point that FWP has no choice but to manage the resource.
Just kidding.

Which ebike with a 750 watt motor throws rooster tails?

I stand corrected on the bike I referenced above. It exceeds 750 watts and therefore would not be applicable, though bikes less than 750 watt, even with a throttle would be.

Thank you for highlighting that.

I stand by the rest of my post.

I stand corrected on the bike I referenced above. It exceeds 750 watts and therefore would not be applicable, though bikes less than 750 watt, even with a throttle would be.

Thank you for highlighting that.

Most class 2 ebikes are designed for road use. A throttle is a liability on a rough trail. The vast majority of bikes you would see in the backcountry are going to be pedal assist. I'm not sure I've even seen a trail worthy class 2 bike.

Not to say that any of that justifies having ebikes in non-motorized areas. I think the argument that bikes with motors are motorized vehicles makes itself without relying on exaggeration.

Thanks for the response Marshman. I appreciate it, though it is important to note that they are currently allowed on non-motorized trails on Dept of Interior lands.

I think the chief reason most land managers limit different modes of travel into the backcountry isn't fumes or noise, though those may be involved, it is ease of access. The easier a place is to get to, the more degradation a place suffers. It's not the actual disturbance on the land in terms of bike tire vs horseshit vs footprints, it's the disturbance that comes with human activity in general - with herds of homo sapiens.

There are plenty of studies highlighting ungulate displacement due to the mere fact of people flying by on trails vs folks slowly walking vs folks riding horses. I've been researching this issue for a while now and admit that thus far the results are mixed. A person could cherry pick a study showing that bikes are no more negative on a landscape than hikers, or vice versa, but I think these arguments, especially arguments about which mode of travel affect trails more, miss the mark.

One thing though, that they all agree on, is that the easier a place is to get to, the more negative effect human recreation will have on wildlife.

EDIT: I was corrected by rwc101. This Bike would not be apply to the dept of interior's order. **

I shared this video on another e-bike thread a few weeks ago. The technology is progressing and we need to be ahead of it IMO.

These are electric motorcycles and little else. They have throttles and throw rooster tails and are currently legal on Dept of Interior non motorized trails. Imagine where the tech will be in 5 years.*

It took me two days to respond to your answer to my question because I was hunting with my dad, who is 74 and is physically broken from a lifetime in the military. We drove around in a side by side, drinking coffee and bitching about the changing world. We reminisced about hunts of yesteryear when we could get away from the road and hike into our favorite deer spots. When we got to the end of the road we turned around. I never once heard a lamentation about how the wild experiences of others should bend and be compromised due to the aging of an old hunter. I think that is the way to move forward, lest we start construction on an escalator to the top Granite Peak.

My thanks also Nameless Range, This forum is great for being able to have a rational discussion about these topics with most on here. I completely agree with yours and some others thoughts on where these bikes should not be. They are not compatible with non motorized and or Wilderness areas. These areas are designated as such for good reason and we need more land to be preserved in this way.
My whole intent will be to use this e bike in areas that do not have these designations, specifically motorized trails, I am figuring out there are a lot of them in the new areas I am hunting. Like i have tried to articulate in this discussion in my opinion they are a much better deal than a motorcycle for me and the land in these places.

Let it be known that there are “mental midgets “ on both sides of the issue along with the internet commandos

Not to say that any of that justifies having ebikes in non-motorized areas. I think the argument that bikes with motors are motorized vehicles makes itself without relying on exaggeration.

I think that is fair. Your post got me to googling. I was watching videos of folks bomb around on trails on this bike, which has a throttle.

Hard not to believe the technology will change their capabilities even further as they increase in popularity. I spoke to an older fella at church last week who was sharing that his son had purchased an ebike and ridden it to the top of Casey Peak in the Elkhorns and how much easier it was. I didn't have the heart to tell him that was illegal.

Allowing e bikes is like extending a road. The advantage gained in the short term will be lost in the long term.
Some people have trouble getting that.
Everyone has there own opinion on this matter. We really don't know what kind of effects they will have for sure, just everyone speculating.

Everyone has there own opinion on this matter. We really don't know what kind of effects they will have for sure, just everyone speculating.

Doesn't take much speculation to know what effects more and easier access will have.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back