Caribou Gear

Dropped Project Alaska

DHaffner

So I was pretty excited about this show since I would like to do a similar hunt someday. Unfortunately I just watched an episode where the highlight was a Moose filmed from over 2 miles away walking down a hill while the hunters sat in lawn chairs for 2 consecutive shows....

FAIL.

I like the show but it seems to much about not much. Even that is better then 90% of what is out there. I still really enjoy some of the older OYOA shows and also the MeatEater shows.

I too am pretty disappointed in the guys toughness. I get the idea that they are scared to leave camp. Too afraid to get lost. Go read some stories by Walt Prothero. He used to get dropped off and cover huge expanses of territory ALONE for 6 weeks. He woud start out hunting sheep then drop down and pick up a cached raft and float out for a several weeks. Now he is a tough Dude, and that was a real adventure. I'd like to see a show on that. These two brothers are on a month long camping trip, calling it life and death. I bet most Alaskans are watching it for comic relief.

Prothero has done some pretty cool hunts in Asia as well. I really like his writing. He's an adjunct professor at Weber State University in Zoology, but used to also teach some classes in the English department as well.

This week was worse than others...I can't believe I still watch this show. I guess I'm desperate for new shows. 2 weeks in a row and I swear they don't go further tha 200 yards from camp.

I think the show is just fine, but how much can you expect from inexperienced flat landers? I think they've made a good show, but your right saying that they look tired. I moved to the mountains from the midwest and thought I was in good shape fresh out of college, playing college athletics, but in reality its taken probably 2 years doing a significant amount of hiking to feel like I'm acclimated and to the area. That takes time and I believe no amount of training in the midwest can prepare you to spend more than 6 days straight hunting western terrain.

I dont get it. You are on the trip of a lifetime, with only days left in the moose season and they head back to camp because of a light rain. I have seen and killed a lot of game in a light rain. I usually see more animals then on a bright sunny day. First they are in caribou central and they shoot one then leave right away. What about the other tag? Now they are downstream and out of caribou country and rarely leave camp to try for a moose. They keep trying to call moose 2 miles away and wonder why nothing came in. I would have wanted to close the distance before calling. They got the best gear you could ask for but they also have a whole lot of quit in them.

Was alright at first but getting tired of nothing getting shot. They better shoot something next episode or I'm done.

I think the show is just fine, but how much can you expect from inexperienced flat landers? I think they've made a good show, but your right saying that they look tired. I moved to the mountains from the midwest and thought I was in good shape fresh out of college, playing college athletics, but in reality its taken probably 2 years doing a significant amount of hiking to feel like I'm acclimated and to the area. That takes time and I believe no amount of training in the midwest can prepare you to spend more than 6 days straight hunting western terrain.

Not even in this midwestern flatland?
HPIM1066.jpg

I have never been to Alaska and don't know if I will even ever to go but your already in the middle of the Brooks Range straying from camp is not gonna hurt but I guess they figure there could be a moose anywhere.

I watched the first 2. I was hoping to see a couple of brothers experience Alaska as I had. Minus the scenery and the crying, any of us have had rougher hunts.I won't be buying the DVD.

So I was pretty excited about this show since I would like to do a similar hunt someday. Unfortunately I just watched an episode where the highlight was a Moose filmed from over 2 miles away walking down a hill while the hunters sat in lawn chairs for 2 consecutive shows....

FAIL.

I have a feeling they took the bait on cardinal moose rule number 1...

I recall a similar situation a few months back that ended a bit differently.

The mental game gets to lots of folks around day 5 it seems. I think these guys have done pretty good so far given their level of experience. Not having good food would suck big time, not to mention zap your stamina.

They probably could have put another day or so into caribou camp and doubled up their meat pile while on caribou and fish. Jumping the gun to head to moose camp seems to have been a mistake.

How often should a hunter harvest a moose in the water?

Just got done visiting with this life long Alaska resident that looks like Grizzly Adams. This exact topic came up and his advice was just wait you've got lots of time to let them get out of the water before you shoot,. Although it sounded like he's done it before. His advice was don''t and wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back