Drew a Kansas elk tag!

Ttannahill14

Looks like my first elk may be from my home state of Kansas . We have a small herd, about 150 elk I have read, on Ft Rikey public ground. I don't remember the exact odds but I know they're slim and this was my first year applying with no points.

Cow tag. December 1st-31st with a rifle. Ft. Riley public land is about 100,000 acres of public land I believe. I believe I'm ineligible to apply for five years or so, so it's now or never!

image.jpg

Congratulations Travis. Maybe mine will come Friday??? Now I'm sitting with with five points I suppose.

If I'm reading it correct I can also hunt bow/muzzleloader from sep1-31 which would be awesome to chase them with a muzzleloader.

Yeah but you know how hot it is at that time of the year in Kansas. I guess if you are able to get a vehicle or atv to the kill site it would be alright. Better check into the game retrieval rules. Late season cow elk makes for mighty good table fair!

Wow, congrats that is the Holy grail for us Kansas hunters.

And yes, you read right you can hunt all seasons with legal equipment for that season so hit them all.

Please don't forget to take us on your journey here on this forum.

Not only with a muzzleloader, but during the rut!

Elk are incredibly huge animals. Make sure you read up on how to deal with an elk in hot weather and possibly line up a meat locker for proper ageing.

Here's the game plan as of now.

I'll get some miles in this weekend or next walking the grounds. September 1 is the opener. Scout the 31st and hunt with a muzzleloader as much as work allows me to until the 12th. The 12th is when the deer hunters show up so things will get crowded then. continue to hunt through September until I harvest. September is goona be HOT still in Kansas, 90+ degrees easy I would imagine. I'll spend Fri-Sunday chasing elk after september 12th since it's a 1.5 hour drive from my house and evening weekdays I"ll still get some time to chase whitetails on the farm. I was going to focus my efforts on watering holes in September cause of the heat. I'll transition to the managed food plots during the December rifle season.

I have a friend who drew this tag last year and was successful and he is giving me lots of advice. I'm open to input if anyone else has spent any time on FT riley even if just deer hunting.

I danced around and jumped and screamed like a little kit last night when I got notice of the tag. My wife said "you better act like that when I tell you I'm pregnant some day" haha - many years from now.

I'll update this thread during the scouting process. Once September is here I"ll start a new thread.

Hey Congrats! as a fellow kansan I can completely understand your joy, I have neer drawn. I did have a friend that drew years ago, ended up getting the biggest bull elk I ever seen harvested, an 8x8. Has it setting on his living room floor and it hits the ceiling. He would have not got that elk if it werent for some deer hunters telling him they saw the elk on the last day of the season and pointing him in the right direction. Take any and all information like that you can get. 150 elk on a 100,000 acres is kinda a needle in a haystack but thats why its called hunting The best of Luck to you!!!

Seriously, if you need help and coolers, quartering, de-boning pm me I will give you contact info I would be glad to run up and lend a hand.

Race you north Southwind, or car pool?

Don't really want to confess how many times I checked my spam mail, along with regular email inbox looking for my golden ticket. Keeping hope alive for next year I suppose.

KsDad, BigDonnie, Sounds like a road trip to me.

Ttannahill, you have your Kansas posse ready to ride. Have knives, coolers and pack will travel.

Any relation to Donnie?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back