I drew a once in a lifetime sheep tag at 25. Now what?

Congrats! You'll make but happen just do the best you can and be ok with it, its just a sheep... My wife ate a sheep tag because she was 8 months pregnant when the season opened.

Little babies are easy, they sleep all the time. Once mom gets back on her feet and you get into a routine it's pretty easy going for a while. The emotional rollercoaster is rough on the ladies.

Hopefully you have family that can help her out while you're gone? Or a close friend? Slipping away for a week maybe easier said than done for you though. I hated being away from my kids for more than 5-7 days at a time, mostly because of how much extra work is is for mom to do alone.
Thanks! We will absolutely make it happen. Ive got family that lives about 45 minutes away from where ill babe hunting!

Lots of great advice has been given, here's my take:

Try and get the wife out scouting with you - make it "our" sheep hunt, not "my" sheep hunt. Hopefully the pregnancy and delivery goes without a hitch - if she has the child via c-section, it's a long recovery process. Adjust hunt expectations accordingly. You've probably already figured this out, but women have a crazy good memory. 20 years from now, you won't want to hear, "Remember that time you had a sheep tag and we had a newborn . . . " Take the advice @Oak and @Khunter have given you - collectively those two probably know more people who have killed sheep/been apart of successful sheep hunts than anyone.

Most importantly, spend all the time possible with that little one - time flies and there is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, like having children. Of second importance, come back and give us a recap of the hunt!

Best of luck!

1) get really good with a 6.5 prc or a .270@500 yards. 2) get in great shape. 3) hire a sheep guide for your unit. 4) get great glass.

IMG_0289.jpeg

@popeyoung12, it sounded like the hunting was tough in the White Mountains last year. Too bad about all of the deadheads.

Is that the ram you ended up getting? Did you use the 6.5 PRC or the 270?

That's not my ram. I took the 5th ram I could have killed. Yes, winterkill was brutal. But the only tag punched of 6. 16 hour day, best hunt of my life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back