Done with Gore Tex

kydeerhunter

Has anybody had any luck with Gore tex boots ?? I have had 8 pairs over about 25 years and they have all leaked but the 1st pair of Rockeys I had,that was when they were still make in the US .I have had Wolverine,Irish Setter and Rockeys.the last pair of boots was Lacrosse snake boots with Gore Tex and they leaked the first time out.

i think everyone but the shoe salesmen have had the same experience although they are waterproof for a few hikes. Not sure what we are doing wrong. ;)

Every boot I've had over the last 25+ years has leaked in less than a year. My 2014 Quest 4d's had a 2 week elk hunt, a 1 week antelope hunt, and two weekends scouting antelope and they failed the water test. I doubt they had 100 miles on them.
In my opinion, Gore-Tex in a boot is a great idea on paper, not so much in practice. It might be a tad stronger than tissue paper and when use in a boot, that is stretching and flexing, it's not going to last long in my experience. You have the toe box/forfoot juncture flexing with every step and when the leather or cordura mesh allows the inner bootie to get saturated with water, hydraulics will force water thru the membrane. Then there are long toe nails that work against the bootie and membrane with every step. I also have a size 13 foot and I think that contributes to the flexing/stretching.
I believe for best results you need a stiffer boot. That's the direction I'm going and just bought some Lowa Cevedale Pro from REI.

I've got a pair of 18 year old wolverines. They are STILL 100% waterproof.

I've sent to pair back to various companies in the last year cause they leaked so bad.

Todays gortex isnt the same as old gortex.

Pay close attention to the boot description. I have noticed that most boots now state that they are GoreTex "lined" and back in the early days I recall them saying they contained GoreTex "booties". If I buy "Lined" boots nowadays, I just expect them to leak.

a lot of people think there feet are wet from water while often your feet make there own moisture and you need better socks and better foot moisture management. i am not saying goretex or any other system out there works perfect but there is more than simply "my boots leak" took me awhile but i figured out what works for me and how to keep my feet dry.

C

I've only had two pairs of leaking gore-tex boots in the last 15 years and both were upland hunters going on a third year and had several hundred hard, hard miles on them. I always wear merino socks and have decent insoles. I get a little slack about cleaning the outsides which in both cases caused the leather to dry out and crack, causing the gore-tex to leak in those spots.

Lowa Mega Camps

I picked up a pair of Lowa Mega Camps which are a waterproof all leather boot, no Goretex. I think Goretex is no guarantee to dry feet, and have had better luck with all leather boots that I wore in my youth. The only problem with these Lowa's is that they are too wide for my skinny 13 feet, so they are heading to the for sale bin. Good luck with your new Lowa's, they make great boots.

goretex

I've also had no luck with Gore tex. Just threw out a year old pair of under armour speed freaks. Their waterproofing lasted almost a whole season. I go through a pair of boots a year. Just picked up some Lowa renegades. Heard good things. Will find out in august on my sheep hunt.

I agree, Goretex isn't what it used to be.
I had a pair of Meindl boots, lasted me nearly 10 years, new pair lasted 18 months, they said Goretex had failed and gave me a new pair, they have lasted 2 years and have started to leak.
But unless you wear plastic i suspect all 'breathable' waterproofs will let water in under extreme weather conditions.
Cheers
Richard

I've had good luck with Gore-tex.
20+ yrs on Danner Cascade Gore-tex and feet stay pretty dry still if their oiled/boot dressing good. My everyday work boots still. 2 pairs.
My Meindel Ibex just started leaking at top of toe,dried/soaked.15 yrs.
Just got some Lowa Tibets and they have same type liner stuff.
Keeping boots in good condition is key I think,don't expect a hiking /hunting boot to act like a rubber mud boot. And those don't breath so your feet will be soaked from inside after a day.

I also have the same Gore-Tex rain gear I've been using for 25 yrs, Cabellas.
If I'm going into deluge all day stuff the Gander Mtn waterfowler parka comes out,Gore-Tex.Never been wet in that.

Sure I've had a bunch of water go thru zippers,or a seam that gets worked all day working in rain.

Only thing water-PROOF gets soaked in sweat on inside if it doesn't breath.....boots or outer wear. Merino socks/baselayers and wool wicking works IMHO. So does Gore-tex.

a lot of people think there feet are wet from water while often your feet make there own moisture and you need better socks and better foot moisture management. i am not saying goretex or any other system out there works perfect but there is more than simply "my boots leak" took me awhile but i figured out what works for me and how to keep my feet dry.

C

Well my feet must sweat extra bad on a cold wet day! Except if I waterproofed the leather real good, then they don't sweat so much ;). Like the other people, 25+ years of gortex failing has convinced me it doesn't work so I just keep my leather waterproofed. The salesmen still claim it works though.

Ps you have to make sure the water isn't coming in from the top; wear gatiors when it's wet

Last edited:
I've had mixed results. Goretex has a guarantee, so you might try invoking it. I purchase my boots at REI, and have returned them up to a year later when they leaked. REI doesn't even ask questions. They can be pricier than elsewhere, though.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back