Dogs are Hunting Partners - Let's see 'em

I've always had a soft spot for dogs. Seems like a lot of folks here have the same weakness. Since we have a "Let's see 'em" thread for everything else, let's see pics of your dogs, whether they are gone or still with you. And a good story to go with 'em always adds color.

We had three dogs at one time, but we are now down to one. She is a fourteen years old cockapoo; deaf as a post and couldn't pass a DMV vision test. But, she still knows that sneaking up to me in the recliner and giving my foot the "Dairy Queen tap" is a good idea on warm days, well cold days too, for that matter. And for being such a great dog to remind me to enjoy life's simple pleasures, she gets a treat when we get there; two treats when Mom is out of town like she is right now. When Mrs. Fin sees this pic with vanilla ice cream remnants on Lilly's 'stache, I'm gonna be in the dog house.

View attachment 70062

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."
Penny the Wonder Dog (now) and Windy the Briard (when she was). Best dang dogs ever!Penny with pack.jpgWindy.jpg

Attachments

• Windy.jpg
    Windy.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1
Watching a dog hunt is great. For our chessys, I use moose antlers when training. Throw to a blind spot the dog can't see. Actually a game of trying to fool her. They won't quit. And watching Ruby work the wind. Circling with nothing on her mind but finding that thrown object, moose antlers n Kong chews sticks.
Ruby now is starting to look back to me for guidance and will move to the direction of my arm movement.
When folks say. This dog will hunt. I'm proud of Ruby. This dog can hunt
And this winter will be pulling the grandkids in a sled. With her big chessy smile FB_IMG_1634915968485.jpgFB_IMG_1634915786557.jpgFB_IMG_1634915793265.jpgFB_IMG_1634915574090.jpg

This is Ruby, she is 9 weeks old today. We took a quick 1300 mile road trip to pick her up and bring her home this weekend. Our senior dogs aren't yet sure what to think about her, and the cat seems to think we brought a new cat toy home. She loves to go on point on fallen leaves in the back yard, here's to hoping she transfers that enthusiasm to upland birds in the future. I spent 10 minutes playing fetch with her this morning before work, didn't teach her anything, she just seems to want to go get stuff when I throw it and bring it back to me.

51647359579_3307034f2f_k.jpg

Wife and I have been singing this nonstop since we got home with Ruby yesterday.

My hound loves bird Season, I’ve had a couple old timers tell me “that’s not a bird dog” well he loves it that’s all that matters.
Is it a Leopard Hound? My past Lep was a solid water retriever. Beautiful hound

I didn't want to sully @neffa3's balloon thread with gratuitous puppy pics, so I'm throwing some new Ruby pics in here where they belong. She turned 16 weeks old yesterday.

She goes from terrorizing old man Jim to snuggling with him at the drop of a hat.
51738951492_0ae68a96d7_o.jpg

51729503180_95bacce606_o.jpg

Haven't gotten her to stop hunting the cat yet, but she randomly decides on occasion that she will name him George, and she will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...
51744607824_2917ec0c86_o.jpg

51712979486_a806f82e62_o.jpg

I didn't want to sully @neffa3's balloon thread with gratuitous puppy pics, so I'm throwing some new Ruby pics in here where they belong. She turned 16 weeks old yesterday.

She goes from terrorizing old man Jim to snuggling with him at the drop of a hat.
51738951492_0ae68a96d7_o.jpg

51729503180_95bacce606_o.jpg

Haven't gotten her to stop hunting the cat yet, but she randomly decides on occasion that she will name him George, and she will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...
51744607824_2917ec0c86_o.jpg

51712979486_a806f82e62_o.jpg
she is a beautiful pup!

As I had shared on here before, we lost our14yr old lab mix back in March. One of the toughest things ever. Still chokes me up.
FDE39BF0-F95B-46CD-BE95-0B35D50F2514.jpeg

She was so unbelievably good and her loss so unbelievably difficult that I swore never again.

You know how it goes: lasted all of three months before I asked my wife and kids to put a deposit down on a chessie for my Father’s Day present.

Flew out to Bozeman on Monday to pick her up. The irony of flying from Virginia to Montana to pick up a Chesapeake is not lost on me.

21673CC2-7056-4628-8745-886301E079F5.jpeg

Got her from Shawn and Janet at Dustin’s Retrievers. Couldn’t be more happy with her.

C02163A3-F0BA-48FB-BE86-C6BE93845D2A.png

C05F7731-AD62-4413-88D6-920423948CA5.jpeg

Named her Dalva after my favorite Jim Harrison character and novel by the same name.

Looking forward to many, many good years and hunts to come.

As I had shared on here before, we lost our14yr old lab mix back in March. One of the toughest things ever. Still chokes me up.
View attachment 206262

She was so unbelievably good and her loss so unbelievably difficult that I swore never again.

You know how it goes: lasted all of three months before I asked my wife and kids to put a deposit down on a chessie for my Father’s Day present.

Flew out to Bozeman on Monday to pick her up. The irony of flying from Virginia to Montana to pick up a Chesapeake is not lost on me.

View attachment 206264

Got her from Shawn and Janet at Dustin’s Retrievers. Couldn’t be more happy with her.

View attachment 206265

View attachment 206266

Named her Dalva after my favorite Jim Harrison character and novel by the same name.

I flew from Portland, Oregon to Minneapolis, Minn to get my Sis then got her a ticket home in the main cabin of the plane. Trip isn't lost on me either! This is Snicker's mom.

OQk0015h.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 206262

View attachment 206264

View attachment 206265

View attachment 206266

Sorry you lost your freind. I picked up the chocolate above from the Dustin's a few months after my yellow passed away at 11. Chocolate is a great retriever. Belle is still missed and provided me with many great memories. belle-1.jpg

View attachment 206262

View attachment 206264

View attachment 206265

View attachment 206266

View attachment 206262

View attachment 206264

View attachment 206265

View attachment 206266

We are on our 3rd chessie. But our first female. I am very impressed. She has all the grit of the males no doubt. Just a smaller head. Natural at retrieving correctly working the wind. Absolutely beautiful to watch a dog hunt. Our first chess seemed like that one in a million dogs that's just right. I feel pretty lucky to get another. Except this one doesn't pee on every tire she sees.
I don't hunt duck but training her to find moose antlers. And use them for chew toys. And hooking a sled to her pull grandson in the snow. As is with most, they are always testing the waters to see what they can get away with.
Our males would tolerate other males but she does not like other dogs on our land. FB_IMG_1634915786557.jpgFB_IMG_1634915877269.jpg

Back