MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Dog owners- what do you do during elk camp?

One of the many, many things my wife does for me that I am eternally grateful for.

Dog stays at home. I had him at camp (campground) one year on a running line attached to two trees so he could move about some. A buddy said he did some barking while I was gone. I would not want to be sitting at elk camp and listening to a dog bark.

I have thought about taking my dog with me, but he would have to be on a leash. When I deer hunt in MI he goes and is crated until I am done or his services are needed. Duke tracked this buck last year 150 yard 18 hours old blood trail. Duke was just over 8 months old. My children got to tag along, and watch Duke work a live line instead of practice run.

Attachments

• DD39BD60-5875-4A9B-A435-53937DE5EC48.jpeg
    DD39BD60-5875-4A9B-A435-53937DE5EC48.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 15
Last year my family and dogs came for the first couple of days. On opening day I could hear my hound from a mile and a half away, mad at being left at camp. Thats distracting when you're listening for elk.

Take mine scouting, with an e-collar. She listens well, will stay put while I peak over ridges etc... However, she is visibly shaking in anticipation the whole time. She also can pound out a 10-12 mile mountain bike ride no problem. She's a pit bull/ mix thing and has a high prey drive for lizards and the like.

But just a little too high strung to trust if I was stalking....

What are the advantages to having a dog on an elk hunt? mtmuley
I like my dog she makes me happy, happy squirrels are harder hunting squirrels, harder hunting squirrels are more successful squirrels...

Fair enough. I'm pretty focused when I elk hunt. I don't even want my wife around. Me and my 110 pound Rott would attract attention I bet. I did run into a guy years ago hunting with a Dachshund. mtmuley

Id much rather have my dog around on a hunt than my wife, way less barking and whining.

Sounds like a lot of you guys have very poorly behaved dogs, and have been around more of the same. Archery does get difficult though, but rifle?? Nutting to it.

And after the deed is done they can take 30 # of burger. 3 dogs x 2 trips that starts to really make a difference.

Enjoy your dog they pass all too quickly.144.JPG443.JPG539.JPG370.JPGDSC04830.JPG

squirrel, my dog is extremely well behaved. Just don't need or want her on an elk hunt. Glad it works for you. mtmuley

Took one of my dogs once when solo hunting. I really enjoyed it!
I'm doing a solo bout (w/dragging sled) into the bob this year and I may just bring him along. Well behaved, stays tight, etc. I'll have to think on it though great post, squirrel! Pretty good company. More than one and that would be a no go.

I'm considering taking Bogey our lab on my November Deer hunt. The "trial run" was a camping trip in the Eastern Sierra Near Bridgeport.

Most of my elk hunting over the decades has been by pack string into high, tough country throughout Canada and our Rockies where the weather can get cold and snow deep. As much as I love my dogs company they stay home.

I’ve driven by soooooo many camps with barking dogs in kennels or dogs chasing off deer and whatever else. I think I’d lose my mind if I came across a dude and his dog out hunting in the elk woods. If you’re on private land, do what you want. But on public, have a little consideration for others—not everyone loves your dog like you do.

I’ve driven by soooooo many camps with barking dogs in kennels or dogs chasing off deer and whatever else. I think I’d lose my mind if I came across a dude and his dog out hunting in the elk woods. If you’re on private land, do what you want. But on public, have a little consideration for others—not everyone loves your dog like you do.
Odds are extremely high you'll spook more elk than my dog will. Maybe I should request more people have consideration and stay home.

Some dogs are barking fools and some are amazing. Some people are bumbling idiots and some are phenomenal hunters. Don't paint with a broad brush.

9F59FE67-3776-4D75-AD25-B8437C964277.jpeg

YMMV...
1604275540986.png

1604275906750.png

1604275937495.png

1604276089474.png

1604276298999.png

1604276353033.png

1604276483369.png

1604276546888.png

1604276583404.png

but when I'm thinking about who I want to take into the elk woods Gus is at the top of my short list...

1604276809389.png

@Bjcoyne

We have always had a zero tolerance barking policy with Gus, even people at the door. No barking ever, period.

This is Gus in the field, again zero tolerance policy never in front, always close, no exceptions.

That bear came into 15 feet with a call, as you might imagine it was kinda a mandatory shoot situation even though she wasn't really a "shooter", Gus didn't bark until it got real personal... although then he lost his mind lol.

Last year we had an elk come into us in the oak brush and Gus started barking at 10 yards, and probably a good thing as that bull was coming in hot.

I took this a couple weeks ago, Gus is between my legs and I'm using my cell phone. Right at 12 yards, wind was perfect and deer was dumb.

1604278375909.png

Point being just depends on the dog and the person and how much time, that person is willing to put into that dog.

Last edited:
@JLS and @wllm1313
That’s really awesome, my GSP is a beast on ducks and other birds but I’d never dream of taking him out for anything else. I think the bottom line is most shouldn’t take their dog to elk camp, you two (and I’m sure some others) being the exception that proves the rule.

Meet Boomer, I'd rather hunt with him than most people.

20200725_081349.jpg20200725_082124.jpg

Teej,

Can you talk about what you do if you spot a buck or bull? is there a point where you tie him up?

Would you call him particularly obedient?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back