Dog owners- what do you do during elk camp?

He’s good company and he can blood track.
Fair enough. I'm pretty focused when I elk hunt. I don't even want my wife around. Me and my 110 pound Rott would attract attention I bet. I did run into a guy years ago hunting with a Dachshund. mtmuley

I usually take my dog with me, and have for over 40 years. When I'm stalking an animal, I have her on a leash. Once I did have one blood track a wounded whitetail buck. Montana regs state that dogs can't be used to chase game animals, but they may be used to recover wounded animals, and they must be on an up to 50 foot leash.
LXLAQKcl.jpg

gj6l1QKl.jpg

WgGp4MYl.jpg

I haven't camped a lot lately, most of the time I camp I am hunting so I really can't take the dog. If just out to camp and hike I would take my younger dog but our older dog (14) doesn't get around well and the wife don't camp so the dogs most often stay home with the wife. In the past during a time when I didn't hunt much and was in between marriages the dog I had went almost everywhere with me. We both liked it that way even on my two month long trips to Alaska.

Attachments

• Shadow at North Pole Alaska.jpg
    Shadow at North Pole Alaska.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 11
  • Welcome Alberta.JPG
    Welcome Alberta.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00041.JPG
    DSC00041.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Shadow.JPG
    Shadow.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 10
I have a Vizsla that is fun to bird hunt with, but way too energetic to take on a big game hunt. I'm a little jealous of those who have a dog that is calm and obedient enough to even think about taking on an elk hunting trip.

Attachments

• 20200126_170038862_iOS 1.jpg
    20200126_170038862_iOS 1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
For a little background- I'm currently single, living in an apartment, and dogless, but hoping to change that last part at some point with the right bird dog.

But as I look at the logistics of my fall in regards to big game hunting, I wasn't certain if it would best to take the dogs along, just leave in camp or the truck, leave them with non-hunting friends or family or spouses, or board them.

I know I would like to avoid boarding them, most likely leaving them in camp while out hunting, But that can lead to some very long days for the dog alone, plus there's risk of bothering other people. Crated in the truck would be fine on colder hunts, but the hunts would have to stay shorter, and be limited to colder days.

All of my friends here hunt, and I don't have any family around this region, so that's out the window. Which is why I was most curious if people take them to camp.

I usually take my dog with me, and have for over 40 years. When I'm stalking an animal, I have her on a leash. Once I did have one blood track a wounded whitetail buck. Montana regs state that dogs can't be used to chase game animals, but they may be used to recover wounded animals, and they must be on an up to 50 foot leash.
LXLAQKcl.jpg

gj6l1QKl.jpg

WgGp4MYl.jpg
Man that dog looks good for being forty.

For a little background- I'm currently single, living in an apartment, and dogless, but hoping to change that last part at some point with the right bird dog.

But as I look at the logistics of my fall in regards to big game hunting, I wasn't certain if it would best to take the dogs along, just leave in camp or the truck, leave them with non-hunting friends or family or spouses, or board them.

I know I would like to avoid boarding them, most likely leaving them in camp while out hunting, But that can lead to some very long days for the dog alone, plus there's risk of bothering other people. Crated in the truck would be fine on colder hunts, but the hunts would have to stay shorter, and be limited to colder days.

All of my friends here hunt, and I don't have any family around this region, so that's out the window. Which is why I was most curious if people take them to camp.

Just for future thought...if this is something you want to be able to do with your dog, start them young and take them EVERYWHERE. Ours has been traveling, making cross-country trips, staying in hotels, going hunting/hiking/camping since we brought her home. She’s damn near bomb-proof now, which makes it soooo much easier to take her on hunts and trips. It’s a pain when they’re little but pays off in spades when they’re older.

Tip number two...work hard on obedience training. We’ve only actually had to board ours a couple of times when we’ve flown places. She’s well behaved, so there’s no shortage of dog-loving friends who can’t wait to “babysit”. They get dog time, we know she’s with someone she likes.

Just for future thought...if this is something you want to be able to do with your dog, start them young and take them EVERYWHERE. Ours has been traveling, making cross-country trips, staying in hotels, going hunting/hiking/camping since we brought her home. She’s damn near bomb-proof now, which makes it soooo much easier to take her on hunts and trips. It’s a pain when they’re little but pays off in spades when they’re older.

Tip number two...work hard on obedience training. We’ve only actually had to board ours a couple of times when we’ve flown places. She’s well behaved, so there’s no shortage of dog-loving friends who can’t wait to “babysit”. They get dog time, we know she’s with someone she likes.

Really solid advice here. I worked hard on obedience training mine. Now I'm confident enough to take him hunting as I know when I give him a command, he will listen. If I didn't have that trust in him, he wouldn't get to go with me everywhere.

This! It also shows where I "messed up" with Hank. He's fairly obedient and a good dog, just gets WAY excited when he's around others or other dogs. Not aggressive nor a jumper, but should be better behaved.

The problem with your dogs left in camp, in your vehicle, tied up, kennelled or whatever is that unbeknownst to you they are barking and making a racket all day long. You are gone; you don't hear it; you don't even realize how it irritates others.
If they don't get to enjoy what the activity is ... please leave them home.

Nope they did not bark all day, we hunted close to camp and they were well behaved. Anyway we camp away from other folks.
Not all dogs are barkers all day, some folks make sure their dogs are well behaved. They got to go along for pack outs and camp time.

Nope they did not bark all day, we hunted close to camp and they were well behaved. Anyway we camp away from other folks.
Not all dogs are barkers all day, some folks make sure their dogs are well behaved. They got to go along for pack outs and camp time.
Good on you and good for your dogs. Thank-you. Unfortunately what you describe is not what I have experienced nor what I think is more widely seen.

It actually is illegal to have a dog with you while big game hunting in a few states.

Question: If I'm in an area that is open for mountain grouse as well as deer & elk, and I have my dog w/me & a .22 or a shotgun, plus my rifle, am I going to get cited if I have some claim to be chasing grouse as well as ungulates? Discretion of the warden or hard line on this?

This is spot on!

Our sled dogs obviously are trained to pull a sled and unless that is what we are doing with them, they stay home

But, like Hunting Wife, we have one dog that goes with us everywhere, truck, sled, canoe, airplane, camp, fishing, and hunting --from Muskox to Geese. Training is the key. Retriever, tracker, early danger alarm ( Bear ), companion.

this was a few years ago but some here ( David, Don, Guy, April ) will remember when we raised a couple of Wolves. Nobody harassed me when they were with me ;)

And speaking of that we are about to leave now.

Question: If I'm in an area that is open for mountain grouse as well as deer & elk, and I have my dog w/me & a .22 or a shotgun, plus my rifle, am I going to get cited if I have some claim to be chasing grouse as well as ungulates? Discretion of the warden or hard line on this?
I asked that specific question, you would be ok unless your dog shows a GW it is reacting to elk or big game you have a license for. The GW I talked with is not the write you up kind of guy but he does not give great latitude with any potential violations.

Straight Arrow, I agree. We worked hard to have well socialized and well behaved dogs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back