Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Do you own a ranch?

I do not have a ranch, but I am willing to take donations of small 500-1000 acre properties, sub irrigated and preferably in the migration corridor. Will also need cattle and somebody that knows what the heck they are doing to run it. I identify as a rancher trapped in a poor man's body!

Will also except large sums of money or tags since I struck out in AZ.

Damn, Mrs. Fin got out of the "ranching' business today. She sold her "ranch" (that grew nothing but peas) in Phillips County, Montana today .

............ All 20 acres of it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Damn, you must be rich! (y)

The citiots are fleeing Omaha and moving down by us. Everyone of them starts a “vineyard” or an “orchard” or some goofy thing on their “ranch”. They tend them about 2-3 years, then they realize it’s a lot of work for no pay and they turn into weed patches.

The complaints about dust from rock roads and animal smells are pretty comical though.
Kids raise a handful of pigs. Buddy of mine wanted to raise some so he could claim ag on his taxes. Told him won't work like thar but ok and got him a couple. He raised two pigs bought all the feed from the feed store. Told me he thinks he got screwed because he didn't even break even. Welcome to farming 101 dude.

I would say none of the 9 have ranch's. A "ranch" or "farm" to me has less to do with size and more to do with making a living off your land. Ranch's get the majority of their income from livestock farms from agriculture. Anyone else just owns property and read to many Louis LAmour books.
Doubt they know who Louis L'Amour is.

Why is that if you are East of the Rockies with 500 head of cattle and 5000 acres you are referred to as a farmer but once you enter the west you get the prestigious title of “rancher”?

Edit. I see this has already been hashed out.

Last edited:
I’m not sure acreage matters as much as if it’s a actual, functional working ranch. Meaning it’s a way of life for the people living on it. Not a hobby or 2 horses a city slicker got scammed into buying.

Grass quality makes pinning an acre amount to it difficult. One area a family could make a living running cattle on 500 acres, another area may take 15,000. A large tract of land doesn’t make it a ranch anymore than raising a calf and chickens in the suburbs makes that a ranch.
What he said^ actual ranchers or farmers don't really care what somebody considers them. There too busy trying to make a living at it. Not naming there animals, or having shirts made with there dumbass logo on it.

I remember telling a Texan once that I grew up on ranch. He asked how big it was and I said 400 acres.
He laughed his ass off.

I remember telling a Texan once that I grew up on ranch. He asked how big it was and I said 400 acres.
He laughed his ass off.

The last puppy we bought came off a ranch in Nebraska. I asked the gal how big the ranch was, she said "Oh, this little place? It's not that big, the one we had before in Montana was big, it was 40,000 acres, this one is only about 15,000." I guess it's all relative.

The big acreage owners in TX call non contingent parcels without a homestead mesquite pastures. The ones with creeks, ponds, and some hardwood are damn good whitetail, upland, feral swine, and angling habitat.

Ok now I wanna know... what's everyone's min acreage for a ranch.
Raising animals for the purpose of selling animal products and actually turning a profit on it every once in a while rather than funding it with money that you made doing something unrelated. Probably pretty hard to do on six acres, BUT there is a guy down the road with a fairly small place that raises 10-20 cattle and hauls in feed. I doubt he makes a living on it, but it probably supplements his “retirement” if you want to call all that work retirement.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back