Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Do you own a ranch?

If I had a dollar for every time I talked to a person who just moved to Montana who called their "property" a ranch I could buy a teener of beer at the very least. I want to say back to them you mean "hobby farm"? I then however remember they are paying me to work on their property so I smile and continue on.

If I had a dollar for every time I talked to a person who just moved to Montana who called their "property" a ranch I could buy a teener of beer at the very least. I want to say back to them you mean "hobby farm"? I then however remember they are paying me to work on their property so I smile and continue on.
Hobby farm would be a very generous description of her place.

The citiots are fleeing Omaha and moving down by us. Everyone of them starts a “vineyard” or an “orchard” or some goofy thing on their “ranch”. They tend them about 2-3 years, then they realize it’s a lot of work for no pay and they turn into weed patches.

The complaints about dust from rock roads and animal smells are pretty comical though.

Ok now I wanna know... what's everyone's min acreage for a ranch.

I’m not sure acreage matters as much as if it’s a actual, functional working ranch. Meaning it’s a way of life for the people living on it. Not a hobby or 2 horses a city slicker got scammed into buying.

Grass quality makes pinning an acre amount to it difficult. One area a family could make a living running cattle on 500 acres, another area may take 15,000. A large tract of land doesn’t make it a ranch anymore than raising a calf and chickens in the suburbs makes that a ranch.

Ok now I wanna know... what's everyone's min acreage for a ranch.
In my onion it largely depends on type/quality of land. if you have 2-300 acres of irrigated land with good grass you can raise a cattle and thus have a ranch. However normally in my opinion the term "ranch" becomes appropriate once you have a full section.

Speaking of chickens, a former neighbor of mine tried to free range a bunchve chickens one summer. They were all, or mostly all, dead in a month, 40 or so. I think it was mainly the mink(s), but the foxes, coyotes, eagles, and owls surely contributed.

Im thinking of selling homing pigeon eggs for the agriculture tax write offs myself. Either that or young ones to some organic market - squab is a real delicacy!

I’m not sure acreage matters as much as if it’s a actual, functional working ranch. Meaning it’s a way of life for the people living on it. Not a hobby or 2 horses a city slicker got scammed into buying.

Grass quality makes pinning an acre amount to it difficult. One area a family could make a living running cattle on 500 acres, another area may take 15,000. A large tract of land doesn’t make it a ranch anymore than raising a calf and chickens in the suburbs makes that a ranch.
So for instance in parts of western slope CO I know this happens a lot... 1 ranching per say 10 "ranches". 1 family is leasing the 9 other properties to have enough land to raise enough cows to make it work. The other 9 have other sources of income... construction, restaurants etc. and then supplement it with leasing fees.

Properties are like 200-600acres?

All ranches, none ranches?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back