Do you own a ranch?

My SIL (from Wyoming) years ago was comparing my parents 80 acres Michigan farm to ranches out west saying "ours wouldn't be considered a ranch". Her dad informed her that our little farm was running 40 head of momma angus and depending on which part of Wyoming, it might take 4000 acres to compare to what we were doing on 80. She got real quiet, real quick.
People can't wait to tell you how little they know.

Ok now I wanna know... what's everyone's min acreage for a ranch.
Round here it’s 400-500 acer

my aunt moved to new Mexico and said she bought a ranch , I asked when I could come hunt and she said “ the HOA didn’t allow it “
she bought 30 acere , that isn’t a ranch except in California, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Austin Texas area ( where californium is moving to)

Last edited:
So for instance in parts of western slope CO I know this happens a lot... 1 ranching per say 10 "ranches". 1 family is leasing the 9 other properties to have enough land to raise enough cows to make it work. The other 9 have other sources of income... construction, restaurants etc. and then supplement it with leasing fees.

Properties are like 200-600acres?

All ranches, none ranches?

Dork.

Ok now I wanna know... what's everyone's min acreage for a ranch.
I agree with what others have said. To me it’s more about the numbers of animals that the land will support. This is totally subjective, but in my mind it’s not a ranch unless you can run 100 head of cattle. Even then, it’s a small ranch. Where I live in SW MT that could take 3-4 sections. Back in Mississippi, we didn’t call them ranches, but a couple hundred acres could support just as many cows.

So for instance in parts of western slope CO I know this happens a lot... 1 ranching per say 10 "ranches". 1 family is leasing the 9 other properties to have enough land to raise enough cows to make it work. The other 9 have other sources of income... construction, restaurants etc. and then supplement it with leasing fees.

Properties are like 200-600acres?

All ranches, none ranches?
I would say none of the 9 have ranch's. A "ranch" or "farm" to me has less to do with size and more to do with making a living off your land. Ranch's get the majority of their income from livestock farms from agriculture. Anyone else just owns property and read to many Louis LAmour books.

I would say none of the 9 have ranch's. A "ranch" or "farm" to me has less to do with size and more to do with making a living off your land. Ranch's get the majority of their income from livestock farms from agriculture. Anyone else just owns property and read to many Louis LAmour books.
Mind if I have our landmen quote you on that ;)?

I agree with what others have said. To me it’s more about the numbers of animals that the land will support. This is totally subjective, but in my mind it’s not a ranch unless you can run 100 head of cattle. Even then, it’s a small ranch. Where I live in SW MT that could take 3-4 sections. Back in Mississippi, we didn’t call them ranches, but a couple hundred acres could support just as many cows.
You can't have a ranch in Mississippi. I don't care how many acres it is. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back