Do you own a ranch?

The state says it is. Even tho the area was laid out in townships.
1/4 of the original homestead.
The elk don't think it is. But they like it here. The cattle don't.

I knew a successful chicken rancher. 10 acres.

I’m not sure acreage matters as much as if it’s a actual, functional working ranch. Meaning it’s a way of life for the people living on it. Not a hobby or 2 horses a city slicker got scammed into buying.

Grass quality makes pinning an acre amount to it difficult. One area a family could make a living running cattle on 500 acres, another area may take 15,000. A large tract of land doesn’t make it a ranch anymore than raising a calf and chickens in the suburbs makes that a ranch.
My family had a ranch in southwest southDakota. They always said 1 cow for 10 acres. They had 10,000 acres which is about 1000 cows.

So for instance in parts of western slope CO I know this happens a lot... 1 ranching per say 10 "ranches". 1 family is leasing the 9 other properties to have enough land to raise enough cows to make it work. The other 9 have other sources of income... construction, restaurants etc. and then supplement it with leasing fees.

Properties are like 200-600acres?

All ranches, none ranches?
So IMO, which doesn’t count for much and I’m not a real big stickler on “terms” or words. For me the people leasing the others property would be considered the “ranch” the rest would just be property. This is coming from the western slope…………..of the Missouri River. I really don’t care how folks refer to their properties, but when someone comes here and has a 3 acre “farm” they get made fun of same as the 10 acre “ranches” out there.

It’s like me going to Silicon Valley and proclaiming I’m a tech wizard because I finally got a file attached to an email I sent after the 1018th time. They probably don’t get upset, but I’m gonna get laughed at.

My SIL (from Wyoming) years ago was comparing my parents 80 acres Michigan farm to ranches out west saying "ours wouldn't be considered a ranch". Her dad informed her that our little farm was running 40 head of momma angus and depending on which part of Wyoming, it might take 4000 acres to compare to what we were doing on 80. She got real quiet, real quick.
People can't wait to tell you how little they know.

My SIL (from Wyoming) years ago was comparing my parents 80 acres Michigan farm to ranches out west saying "ours wouldn't be considered a ranch". Her dad informed her that our little farm was running 40 head of momma angus and depending on which part of Wyoming, it might take 4000 acres to compare to what we were doing on 80. She got real quiet, real quick.
People can't wait to tell you how little they know.
It depends on the grass and feed they have. Read my post about my families ranch out west.

Ranch vs farm, to me it's like referencing a 5x5 or 10pt somewhere around that imaginary line called the Mississippi. I don't know one farmer or landowner in Ohio that uses the term ranch, even the ones I know that own > 4,000acres. Of course I'm talking Ohio here though, I can't wait to leave.
Farm = Ag and Ranch = livestock makes sense to me though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back