Discussion for the solo hunters

You're actually more likely to get injured when going into the woods with someone else, vs solo, as you're more likely to be cautious when you're alone.

Let somebody know where you're going, when you'll return. Then have fun.

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. JMHO

You're actually more likely to get injured when going into the woods with someone else, vs solo, as you're more likely to be cautious when you're alone.

Let somebody know where you're going, when you'll return. Then have fun.

Lots of good advice here! I'll throw in my $.02 I suppose.

What species your chasing is a big consideration, as others have said, 7 miles is quite the ask for a solo elk. Mule deer, no problem.

Don't go without at least a Spot, if not something that lets you talk both ways, it's just foolish to not have something these days when going solo. If you can afford to go on a backcountry backpack hunt, you can certainly afford some "insurance" that you'll make it home. I typically check in a couple times a day but my wife understands do not panic until it's been 36 hours without a message, this might not work for everyone but it does for us.

I hunt solo a lot, at least 50% of my hunts if not more. I always leave very detailed instructions about where I'm headed, but I also let it be known that I'm gonna go where it takes once I get in there. I go so far as some Google Earth print offs for the wife and one other buddy.

Another big consideration is in the field butchering, an elk is a whole lot of animal to handle alone, especially in steep terrain. Be prepared to tie off legs, horns, heads, whatever it takes to get the job done. You'll have to get creative to create that "extra set of hands" you have when hunting with a partner, so I always carry a little extra rope.

I also carry flagging tape to mark any points I might need to find easily again...where i shot from, where the animal was standing, first blood, where to take a specific turn back to camp etc. etc. Again, it's on you, there are no other eyes, flagging tape can come in handy.

I never go solo without 2 headlamps.

Take a notebook to pass the time, or play games on your phone, or a book to read, whatever it takes to keep yourself out there. Don't give up, no matter what, it's easier to do when no one else is there to help keep you in the game. Few things are more gratifying than pulling off a solo, DIY, Public Land, backpack hunt...successful or not.

I traveled solo many occasions for hunt and fish opportunities in the past though greatly slowed down the past few years - though getting back into it. For myself, 4 nights is usually my peak enjoyment duration. Beyond that and mentally it slowly begins to work against my solo enjoyment.

Griz country solo hunting / fishing personal must have items:
DeLorme InReach emergency communicator, Garmin Rino (w/OnXmaps), paper map/compass, Counter Assault bear spray, first aid and mini survival kit are a must. I build around those items when prepping for solo runs.

It will. ;) We just need to quit talking about this 'solo' stuff and figure out where Henry and Hank are gonna find us some birds! I'll bring whiskey for us and whatever Henry prefers... :D

You're on like Donkey Kong. You let me know when Hank is ready for team sports and we'll plan something.

I have done a fair amount of solo. I like making my own decision and my own pace. I always try to make sure I have a back up system for everything. I usually cover a lot of miles the first couple of days. I make sure I have treking poles so I know I can make it back if I take out a knee some where along the way and have come close to doing so, stepping over down fall on teh downhill. now I'm more careful. Ace wraps and a roll of athletic tape. A good first aid kit. lots of water. I have the gps and lots of spare batteries. If I'm in a new area i'll carry a second gps along with the compass and make sure I orient myself along the way during the day. Drainages always look diff from the other side. 2nd half of the day I start making my way back to the truck. I try to be within a mile of truck when the sun goes down.
I make sure my radar is up and always check 360 around me when I'm in the heavy stuff. I practice drawing the bear spray and my pistol on my scouting trips and that they are always carried in teh same position so i don't have to fumble for them.
I shot a bull late in teh day last year. Got to him at last light. Took some quick pics then made sure I lined up some trees to direct me out of ther in the right direction in the dark. Made a big diff as the gps batteries crapped out just as i headed back. I forgot to replace the batteries used the day before.
Borrowed some from one of the many lights that I carry. 2 headlamps, 2 200lumen flashlights.
I really hate quartering in the dark but not much choice.
Took two days to haul it out by myself - but it was memorable.
Lots of people shake their head at me going solo and hunting 4-7 miles out but I prepare for it best I can and then go and enjoy it. I don't think I'm cavalier abt it but I accept the risk.

Lots of good info in here. I too do quite a bit of hunting solo, although most of the trips are just day trips. I found that I'm most comfortable solo hiking in the dawn dark vs coming out in the evening dark, Might be a good way to break into it.

Otherwise, be a good boy scout and be prepared. I usually have at least 2 sets of back up batteries for my GPS and my headlamp. Plenty o warm stuff. InReach, map and compass. Tell someone yer plan.

Then just settle in for the silence, prepare to immerse yourself in your head. It's a big place or sometimes a very small place:confused:. If you are focused and positive (and in the animals), there isn't too much time for mind games. Although I will say, when you're back at your tent in griz country solo, those little sounds can play with your head. I've employed ear plugs and sometimes some Benedryl to get some shut eye. If the bear really wants to eat me, i figure it's not going to make a difference if I hear it coming or not.

Last edited:
You're on like Donkey Kong. You let me know when Hank is ready for team sports and we'll plan something.
Copy that! I don't plan on hunting him around other dogs too much if at all this, his first, fall. We'll see how he plays with others after that. Seeing lava rock chukars would be a fun experience for him after his exposure to preserve chukar here. He'll be like WTH are these running monsters! :D

I have almost always hunted alone.
I keep it within 5 mi from camp,usually way closer now.
Lotta folks hike right past where critters are to get to the GOOD spot ,with them watching...
Spare rechargables are always in my pack. And a couple knives .

I really appreciate the input guys, some really good info here. Truthfully, I would be passing elk on the way in but there is just something very special about the 7 mile mark that makes it tough not to try it. I would pack gear and food for 6-8 nights but realistically I may only be able to make it 4-5 nights. I am used to the hunting alone part the only difference would be coming back to an empty camp. The reward seems to drive me on the whole solo idea.

I have no real rules but when I am hunting solo I like to keep moving throughout the day. I never bought into the hunt mornings, nap mid day, and glass evenings. I keep moving and calling until I find a bull that will respond. I only have a few days in September to kill a bull so I need to maximize my opportunities in that short time. Last years bull came into my calls around 1:00 so it can happen at any time of day.

I hunt with friends and also solo. Each has its own reward. Use common sense and know your limitations. Carrying an elk out solo for 7 miles is a task most are not prepared to undertake unless you are in firefighter shape and unbothered by altitude. When you have an elk down is not the time to ask "Now what?".

I hunt with friends and also solo. Each has its own reward. Use common sense and know your limitations. Carrying an elk out solo for 7 miles is a task most are not prepared to undertake unless you are in firefighter shape and unbothered by altitude. When you have an elk down is not the time to ask "Now what?".

Exactly, i'm 6' 170 lbs and in good shape, gym 3 time's a week, run about 4-6 miles a week, and it took me 8 hr's too pack a bull out that was 2.5 miles from the road, so 5 miles round trip, I had too make 4 trips.... and it sucked, boned, never lost an ounce of meat, now triple that mileage i'm not so sure I could even do that alone.... but that's why a few year's back I invested in Pack Goats.... I got helper's now that I can talk too and they don't talk back or question me :D :hump: :W:
Matt

Back