Discussion for the solo hunters

CJC

It looks like I may be hunting solo this year. I'd love to hear some of your personal experiences and rules. I understand everyone is different and some can go in 10 miles for 10 days and others only 1 mile for 2 days alone. There are grizzlys present in my area but the thought of personal injury is far more frightening to me. I may be hunting anywhere from 5 to 7 miles in the backcountry. Thanks for any feedback.

What exactly are you wanting to know?

I've solo hunted a fair bit. If you are truly frightened about things, it might not be a very enjoyable trip. You should have a healthy concern for injury, and establish the ground rule that you don't take stupid chances. I force myself to be very deliberate in dicey terrain. Just be aware of your higher risk movements like climbing, jumping, etc, and ask yourself if you really need to do them, or is there a safer way. Don't obsess on it, but don't be stupid and foolish.

Your biggest obstacle may very well be the mental aspect. Your mind is your biggest asset and your biggest enemy. If you can't channel it for positive affect, you're in trouble. I would strongly suggest you do a warm up trip this summer by yourself. I really enjoy the solo aspect, some people don't. Some folks get freaked out not talking to anyone else for 6 or 7 days.

Make sure you are physically prepared, and that you have the knowledge and skills to take care of yourself should something bad happen. Give someone a detailed itinerary and where they should start looking if you don't arrive home on time. Notify them if you change plans at all.

Lastly, be honest with yourself about how far in you should be going. I'll be honest, if you're going in 7 miles, you're passing elk on the way. Are you fully able to get a bull elk out, by yourself? You're looking at anywhere from 42 to 70 miles of packing, depending on the size of the bull. Don't let fear and doubt deter you, but don't be naively foolish either.

Good luck.

I was looking forward to doing a completely solo hunt this year also. But I was also concerned I'd get freaked out at night. I don't worry too much about the daytime but I'm kind of a chicken in the dark. Still, yet, I was a little bummed when a buddy of mine and another buddy of his said they wanted to go also. There was no way I could tell them no. And I didn't want to either. I highly doubt they'll want to backpack hunt and stay in the backcountry. Then I realized this could be just what I needed. A safety net sort of speak. They would have the basecamp and I could leave from there to backpack in and try my hand at it. If I get too freaked out I can go back to their camp. If not, I'll know what I'm capable of in the future. Plus they will be able to help if I'm fortunate enough to kill anything and vice versa.

I hate solo hunting, but I do get out by myself at times, I don't let that stop me. I just stay to more familiar terrain and cover less ground. I highly recommend a Spot too. It is good to summon SAR and you can use it to send a custom message to friends to help pack out.

What exactly are you wanting to know?

I've solo hunted a fair bit. If you are truly frightened about things, it might not be a very enjoyable trip. You should have a healthy concern for injury, and establish the ground rule that you don't take stupid chances. I force myself to be very deliberate in dicey terrain. Just be aware of your higher risk movements like climbing, jumping, etc, and ask yourself if you really need to do them, or is there a safer way. Don't obsess on it, but don't be stupid and foolish.

Your biggest obstacle may very well be the mental aspect. Your mind is your biggest asset and your biggest enemy. If you can't channel it for positive affect, you're in trouble. I would strongly suggest you do a warm up trip this summer by yourself. I really enjoy the solo aspect, some people don't. Some folks get freaked out not talking to anyone else for 6 or 7 days.

Make sure you are physically prepared, and that you have the knowledge and skills to take care of yourself should something bad happen. Give someone a detailed itinerary and where they should start looking if you don't arrive home on time. Notify them if you change plans at all.

Lastly, be honest with yourself about how far in you should be going. I'll be honest, if you're going in 7 miles, you're passing elk on the way. Are you fully able to get a bull elk out, by yourself? You're looking at anywhere from 42 to 70 miles of packing, depending on the size of the bull. Don't let fear and doubt deter you, but don't be naively foolish either.

Good luck.

Agreed. Not that you shouldn't go in 7 miles, but when I hunt elk solo I most definitely try not to. When I hunt solo in Griz country I don't move around in the dark unless I absolutely have to. I camp close enough to my glassing areas that I can get there during first light but not while hiking in the pitch black so I can see and avoid a bear. I glass at last light instead of hunting so I don't down an animal in the dark which is a bad idea in griz country when solo for a few reasons. Not hunting last light is my least favorite part of solo hunting in griz country but for me, its the safe way to go. Lastly, take a Spot or InReach in addition to leaving someone a detailed description on where you're going.

If personal injury is a major concern (which it is for most solo guys) I would suggest getting a satellite communicator or a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). A lot of guys are using the DeLorme (now Garmin) for text communication, SPOT for checking in, or the PLB for emergencies. All have their Pros and Cons. Do a search here and you'll find a couple awesome threads on backcountry communications.

Definitely invest in something like an inreach. The biggest concern for me is always at home. My wife would be a nervous wreck with three kids and a farm with me completely out of reach. The inreach let us communicate even though I have not been alone out west. But even here at home it has made her feel better when I have been in hard to reach areas.

Through the years hunting with my son and then with a good friend and compatible hunting buddy was great, but after my son began hunting with his buddies and my buddy passed, I have hunted solo a lot. Drainages north of Yellowstone Park up the Gallatin were my favorites, but with the uptick in grizzly bear numbers and some tragic encounters by other hunters, I just don't go there. There are many other areas less frequented by grizzlies and now which hold more elk. But I still carry bear spray on my belt, as it is a smart precaution hunting, hiking, camping in Montana anywhere.
Heed the advice of JLS; those are important considerations.

I did my first solo trip to MT last November and really enjoyed it. That includes driving 2000 miles each way to get there and back. I'm the type that loves peace and solitude. I ended up getting a deer and no elk, so I can't speak about packing a bull out on my own, but I did pack my deer out in one trip.

I will be going on 1 or maybe 2 solo trips this year as a result of that hunt. I was in grizzly country too and although it doesn't bother me at all during the daytime, it does at night. If you don't want to camp in the backcountry, consider getting a motel room in a nearby town or sleeping in your truck, if you have a camper shell on it.

To me solo hunting requires you to enjoy being alone in a remote (high) location and enjoy being there and just looking at the beauty .
To do this you need to decide on how much you can carry in , camp stuff , food , etc , so you can determine how far you can go in. But remember if you get a elk it will require 3 to 4 trips (can vary depending on how much you can carry out in a trip) to get the elk out and your camping stuff. I find this the hardest part of solo hunting so be sure you know your limits so you only go in as far as you can get everything out.
This became a reality for me 4 years ago (I was 65 at that time) when it took 4 trips to get my elk and camp out, and it took me 3 days of rest before I could move without pain.
So solo hunting is a great experience but know the work involved and have a good time.

I think the mental aspect can be the toughest the first couple times you do a backcountry hunt alone. But, the more you do, the easier, and ultimately more fun it is.

I probably do 50% of my hunting alone. Nothing against hunting with friends and family, that is fun as well.

But, I just need time to do my own thing, make my own choices, no second guessing, no waiting around for others, etc.

I'm actually shocked how many people just flat would rather not go hunting than have to hunt alone, that just doesn't seem logical to me.

Just have a good plan, make correct choices, and enjoy the solitude...something that is in scarce supply these days.

What time of fall and species are you planning to hunt?

I agree 100% that this is going to be a huge mental game. You have to know yourself. If you are an extrovert this will be a challenge.

That does seem pretty deep in. I might shoot for closer to the 2-3 mile mark. I would Definitely recommend some type of communicator as mentioned previously. You may also consider contacting some packing services in the area that you could pay to help you get an elk off the mountain before it spoils.

Lastly, be honest with yourself about how far in you should be going. I'll be honest, if you're going in 7 miles, you're passing elk on the way.

Good luck.

This is an excellent statement. I personally like the 3-5 mile range. That's enough to still do a comfortable truck camp. I walk an hour in the dark, then start hunting.

Agreed, the hardest part is the mental aspect. Ide suggest truck camping solo your first season, getting to know how you handle being alone, and learning the things you will really need to take with you when you do finally venture out with a tent.

When you do go out alone, just really pay attention to your surroundings, even watching where you step in flat sage fields as I've had more opportunities to break a leg or twist an ankle in a badger hole then sliding off of a steep mountain side. I really keep an eye on what's going on behind me when out solo. If you do make a kill, obviously you don't want to cut yourself, but REALLY do not cut an animal in a way where your blade can slip and cut/stab your thigh. Cutting your femoral artery is a death sentence in a matter of minutes.

I prefer to hunt alone and have done many trips out west by myself, though not as extreme as many as far as distance and time. I try to stay inside of 5 miles as I think that would be on the outer limit of what I could pack and elk by myself.
Also as noted, taking great care is a given. Cut away from you, be overly cautious in dicey terrain, etc.
I don't take any form of communication device like the inreach or a sat phone. Probably not the wisest choice and I do consider it but haven't got one yet.
I usually have a pretty good idea of a hunt plan and go over that with my wife so she knows about where I should be on any given day, and will call or text whenever and if I get cell service.

I love hunting with family and friends, especially bird hunting. I really enjoy solo hunting for big game though. I like the aspect of going at my own pace and making my own decisions. You do have to take more into consideration where you kill something though. Can you get the animal out by yourself before the meat spoils and other questions like that.

The biggest hurdle I've had, is are you okay talking to yourself? During the day, while hunting, I don't have much of a problem. At camp, at night is when I get bored and would like to chat. But, I've found I enjoy talking to myself.

I think this is something that gets harder as we become more 'connected' or 'wired' in our everyday lives with technology.

The biggest hurdle I've had, is are you okay talking to yourself? During the day, while hunting, I don't have much of a problem. At camp, at night is when I get bored and would like to chat. But, I've found I enjoy talking to myself.

I think this is something that gets harder as we become more 'connected' or 'wired' in our everyday lives with technology.

A shot or two of good whiskey will help you come out of your shell and talk to yourself.

A shot or two of good whiskey will help you come out of your shell and talk to yourself.
It will. ;) We just need to quit talking about this 'solo' stuff and figure out where Henry and Hank are gonna find us some birds! I'll bring whiskey for us and whatever Henry prefers... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back