PEAX Equipment

Did you guys save any WY pronghorns for me?

It took about 150 bucks before we found one that caused me to give Mark a bullet, but I think he is pleased that we waited as long as we did.

This is not the big one from yesterday. Just couldn't relocate that one, so we headed further south.

I think most guys would shoot this buck on the last day they have to hunt.
IMG_5705.JPG

The mass from the front and back was better than the mass from the side. One of those bucks with more of a circular horn configuration, rather than the thin bladed form that looks massive from the side and thin from the front.
IMG_5698.JPG

Mark's first pronghorn has most of what you would want in a buck. Gotta love Wyoming on a year with good horn growth.
IMG_5701.JPG

The checkerboard of these areas make hunting access very difficult. It is hard to tell whether you are on private or public. I can say with all confidence, that without the Wyoming chip from HuntingGPSmaps.com, that we would have given up on many of these areas. They give OYOA guys priority delivery and service, so tell them you read about it here.

Mark's buck was on private land the first three times we saw him. We knew he was a good buck. We came back and checked on him, hoping that he would move his does to public. Finally he pushed his does to the adjacent public and even better, his lead doe wanted me to take her picture, so she stood at attention for five minutes. Five minutes was plenty of time for Mark to sneak out to the higher sage patch, put down the bipod and make a 180 yard shot on this buck.

Sorry for the sales pitch, but with this new GPS and this Wyoming map chip, I am not at all concerned about those units where private land can make access difficult. Yes, you might have to pass on good bucks when they are on private, but eventually, they will come to public. If you know where that public/private boundary is and you are ready when the time comes, you will get your chance.

Thanks, Mark. This was great fun, as are all antelope hunts, but with two great bucks like these, it will be hard to top. I am now repacking the OYOA truck and trailer, heading to NM for my nephew Cody's youth elk hunt.

Great bucks guys, congrats! Love the ivory tips on yours Randy.

Great bucks I also used the map chip in my garmin 450t its amaizing how much land you can hunt knowing for sure you are on public.All the other hunters in the unit I hunted seemed to stop at the fence lines With the chip you could tell the fences were not boundaries really helped us in our hunt.

It is not unlike Mark to give up something for someone else so I am not surprised by the pass. I know first hand. So, with that being said... It is great to hear that everyone had such a successful hunt and a great time together. Congratulations to both of you!

Looks like you guys had an awesome hunt! Congratulations on some great bucks!

Great bucks I also used the map chip in my garmin 450t its amaizing how much land you can hunt knowing for sure you are on public.All the other hunters in the unit I hunted seemed to stop at the fence lines With the chip you could tell the fences were not boundaries really helped us in our hunt.

Just curious...How much leeway are you guys giving the boundaries to be on the safe side?

Just curious...How much leeway are you guys giving the boundaries to be on the safe side?

Depends on whether or not there are fences. If not, I give about 100' and give even more when I am shooting something in case it were to run off..

I did about the same as fin said the biggest thing you have to remember is that just because you are on public land does not mean the animal you are hunting is.Just as an example some of the fences that were up the public land sometimes stretched a 1/2 mile or better past them.

Nice buck, stillkickin!

I hunted checkerboard this week as well, and having the land ownership in my GPS made it really, really easy...

All you guy's nice lopes have depleted my attaboy eupemisms....so, attaboy stillkickin.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back