Deer question montana

Would you rather MT be all draw for mule deer OTC or keep it the same OTC general tag

• I want it all draw

Votes: 61 60.4%
  • Keep current system

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Your opinion of your season structure post in response

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
LOL. Yeah. Because I don’t bitch about how good it used to be and instead offer ideas on solutions to change.
Hmmmm... I have never bitched about how good it used to be. And, I was there in the "used to be". But, I see both sides. Yours as a newcomer expert, and the Montana aspect of folks that have been here and continue to be. Yeah, change it. mtmuley

Hmmmm... I have never bitched about how good it used to be. And, I was there in the "used to be". But, I see both sides. Yours as a newcomer expert, and the Montana aspect of folks that have been here and continue to be. Yeah, change it. mtmuley
That post makes zero sense. But thanks for participating.

My theory is this. People with access to private and acourse some outfitters and more than likely some non residents dont want change. Think about it. People with access to private would just be giving up hunting mule deer every yr. Outfitters for the most part just want more opportunities at making a buck. Non residents would go into a tougher draw.

I think alot of people that hunt otc mule deer on public realize there is a problem. The only way to reasonably fix the poor numbers and quality is to protect mulies by a limited draw.

Having grown up in Montana I DO appreciate being able to hunt multiple areas each year, which is not a problem with a general deer tag like we have now. I have been attempting to draw a more difficult tag for both elk and deer (and pay for my bonus points for M-S-G as well). My fear would be going from being eligible to harvest a buck every year (as a kid often the only animal harvested) to significantly less chance to harvest. Much like how antelope has changed. Wouldn’t be much hunting some years.

Leave it be... We won't have a hunting season at all if we can't take our kids hunting... And if my then 11 year old can kill a buck like this on a general hunt.. and see even better ones... I'd say those that bitch need to get a little farther away from the truck seat...

Attachments

• KIMG1151.JPG
    KIMG1151.JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 27
When I lived in ND, we would get MT rifle deer tags to afford ourselves additional hunting opportunities. Hunted hard and shot some decent bucks, nothing special. Frankly never really saw anything special on public land in MT. After a 3-4 years of doing this I stated I would trade a MT rifle deer tag for a ND archery deer tag every year. I still would! The difference in numbers and size of mature mulies was VERY apparent between the two states!

It’s a shame, as there is great potential in the state of MT.

Leave it be... We won't have a hunting season at all if we can't take our kids hunting... And if my then 11 year old can kill a buck like this on a general hunt.. and see even better ones... I'd say those that bitch need to get a little farther away from the truck seat...
Very nice buck! I bet your son was excited!

I believe there ways to decrease exploitation of mule deer without going to a draw. Eventually a draw will be the only option. Heck, I'd like to see a permit system for entering the state so I enjoy glacier NP again.

Wonder how all the other western state people take their kids hunting if they don’t have a 3 month long general tag?

Wonder how all the other western state people take their kids hunting if they don’t have a 3 month long general tag?
Idk...don't live there..don't want to..I came to Mt 31 years ago for a reason.... I like to hunt.. and it's a year around pursuit... Less than 2 months of the year there isn't some big game we can pursue... Hunt harder, hunt smarter....I live in a now "trophy area". All we can do is take pictures...

Idk...don't live there..don't want to..I came to Mt 31 years ago for a reason.... I like to hunt.. and it's a year around pursuit... Less than 2 months of the year there isn't some big game we can pursue... Hunt harder, hunt smarter....I live in a now "trophy area". All we can do is take pictures...
Continuing on the same path we are is not possible. Montana’s population continues to grow. Think of how it will be for your kids when they are your age if we continue on this same path

I find it funny that some assume that because we want better deer quality/hunting that we must not be killing anything, or that we need to get farther from the truck. You are missing the point...we’d like there to be a quality population of mature animals running around for our generation and the future. I do not want the state to go full LE, but I’d be open to ideas on shortening the season or shifting it so it didn’t encompass the rut.

Insane1, i agree the youth hunt for 10,11 yr olds is a good thing. And 12 to 17 yr olds should have an oppurtunity every yr. I dont know enough about other states, how or what they do for youth with all draw or mostly draw to comment on a good solution for youth opportunity with all draw. My boy the dinkslayer killed these 2 young bucks on the youth hunt 2018, 2019. In 2020 he chose to eat his tag, as he was dead set on shooting a mature buck. Bad luck and missed opportunities equals tag soup. OTC whitetail is a good option but access is key. Along with early october hunt.

Attachments

• 20191114_182602.jpg
    20191114_182602.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG952067.jpg
    IMG952067.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member