Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Deer question montana

Would you rather MT be all draw for mule deer OTC or keep it the same OTC general tag

• I want it all draw

Votes: 61 60.4%
  • Keep current system

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Your opinion of your season structure post in response

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
When I lived in Montana tags were all across the counter. Down the road I moved to where I am now, Antelope, Ore. When I moved here my tags came across the counter. The unit I live it is 95% private property. Several years after moving here across the counter was shut down and it all went to draw. First three years I got no tag, couldn't draw one. If I wanted to hunt it was over 200 mi trip to the valley for across the counter tags. Not so bad, I talked to a guy in NE Oregon that didn't draw at home and it was over 400 mi for him to get an across the counter valley tag to hunt. The only people in this state that have benefitted at all from the draw are the wealthy living in the valley and else where. Now if in the draw first choice went to unit resident's it would make a big difference, then everything after that is left over and you can draw. Over the years, at least here in Oregon it has become obvious that hunting is designed for the wealthy and those that spend money they can't afford to do it. I have not hunted deer in years for no other reason than having trouble getting a tag in my own unit. I cannot afford a trip to the valley simply to hunt deer. Lot of money in hunting and fishing and game dept's go where the money is!

Every year, the same thing... MT deer hunting sucks, and everyone has a solution but nothing will change. I don't think it has to go to a draw, it could be improved by changing the season. Stop killing every buck that walks and you might have a chance to improve deer hunting in MT.

That won't happen either, so you'll just need to realize the deer season you just had is as good as its ever going to get.
That's actually pretty funny. Guys on the forum from Montana keep telling us how crappy the deer and elk hunting is in their state.
But then 47.6 voted to keep the same system, assuming most of the responders are from Montana.
Seems like they just want to bitch about the problem but keep things the same. :unsure:

That's actually pretty funny. Guys on the forum from Montana keep telling us how crappy the deer and elk hunting is in their state.
But then 47.6 voted to keep the same system, assuming most of the responders are from Montana.
Seems like they just want to bitch about the problem but keep things the same. :unsure:
The poll is oversimplified. People can even agree on if there is a "problem" or what the problem is and never agree on how to fix it. I voted for going to draw, but I have to guess what that means to the OP. Montanans who voted to leave it as is probably do so because stye want to hunt every year. I certainly do. Both can exist. We have zones that FWP gives a tag to everyone that applies (100% draw), but they can only hunt Mule deer in that zone for that season. Doing that for every zone might limit hunters' flexibility, but also might give you some idea of where the "general" people are hunting.

I don't know what I am more disappointed in the lack of options that the "poll" presents or the fact that we are still talking about this or the fact that @8andcounting didn't start another one of these.

You can't have an 11 week season that begins in archery season first week in September ends after Thanksgiving for basically 95 percent of the districts in Montana. Pretty cut and dry, now we're talking about implementing a smoke pole show in December......

You take that November Rut hunt away though from all the families gathering hunts....... they'll get the pitchforks out and roast your ass.

You could look at season lengths, season dates, Weapons Restrictions, Special Permits, Draws vs. General, Private land Doe tags vs. a general doe tag, maybe guys not buying 7 doe tags!?!?!? on and on and on DISTRICT CLOSURES :eek: I KNOW RIGHT!!!

Year after year its the same deal. No change and it isn't going to.

Guess we all better learn to deal with it and rise up and hunt harder like @Werty, go deeper in the bush....

It's amazing bucks can even get to a age of 4 or better anymore. Here's to 2021 the year of the forkie for this guy, I'm jumping on the bandwagon of slaughter-town late November, and when it doesn't happen the flintlock is coming out.

You take that November Rut hunt away though from all the families gathering hunts....... they'll get the pitchforks out and roast your ass.
2021 is basically going to be the purge anyway. I say chop the deer season, buy some Dogecoin, load up your AR mags with whatever ammo you can find, and just strap in for the ride.

I should if waited until end of rifle season obviously. Most would of been depressed about not seeing many good bucks. Everyone too optimistic.

I know public otc mule deer is not that good mt. My opinion it needs to be a limited draw in all units.

The poll is oversimplified. People can even agree on if there is a "problem" or what the problem is and never agree on how to fix it. I voted for going to draw, but I have to guess what that means to the OP. Montanans who voted to leave it as is probably do so because stye want to hunt every year. I certainly do. Both can exist. We have zones that FWP gives a tag to everyone that applies (100% draw), but they can only hunt Mule deer in that zone for that season. Doing that for every zone might limit hunters' flexibility, but also might give you some idea of where the "general" people are hunting.
Pick a unit? mtmuley

Ya know, years ago a guy I worked with here got a unit restricted to 4 point or better. he claimed it really worked as he'd never seen that many four point deer in one place before. I on the other hand always hoped for one but actually I always went out to fill the freezer, it was the meat i needed I just happened to enjoy that way of getting it. Here in Oregon it's been pretty much the same. wouldn't mind shooting a big deer but first deal is meat in the freezer. here the only elk tags I get are for cows! Like to shoot a big bull? Lying if I said no but bottom line all my life has been meat in the freezer. I know a number of people that call them selves trophy hunter's. I have come to realize what that means is by the last day if i haven't filled the tag, any legal deer will be shot! So much for trophy hunting. Read a deal about Elgin Gates years ago. He was a trophy hunter and if an animal didn't suit him he did what he called counting coup on it. Dry fired his rifle at it and went on. Very few Elgin Gates over the years I think! In those days there were real trophy hunter's such as Elgin, subsistence hunter's and killer's. Today I believe that in America what we have a recreational hunter's. They do talk the talk but that's about it! If that's what you do, fine. Hunting has evolved into sport!

Pick a unit? mtmuley
Yes. Not sure it would be a great solution but just a thought. Always found it odd that MT manages one unit for good MD and that was it. Maybe group units together? Like all 700?

Pretty sure everyone would hate something about any change. The free for all we use now is liked because it is known.

Yes. Not sure it would be a great solution but just a thought. Always found it odd that MT manages one unit for good MD and that was it. Maybe group units together? Like all 700?

Pretty sure everyone would hate something about any change. The free for all we use now is liked because it is known.
You are new aren't you? mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back