Yeti GOBOX Collection

Deer Pack (college budget)

WBouldin

So i know there are 100s of threads on packs and ive scoured through most all of them but Im still lost. Im doing my first western deer hunt this year as posted in another thread. All my other deer hunting has been out of a tree in GA. Nonetheless im looking for a pack that isnt incredibly expensive that i can pack out a deer in. These cali bucks arent massive bodied so it doesnt have to be that beefy. Ive looked at the Badlands 2200 and MR DragonSlayer (MAX PRICE RANGE!!!) and some Eberlestock ones but i cannot find the ONE. The dragon slayer is what i will get if i absolutley have to but being on my budget id like to avoid spending over 300 if there is a pack that will do me god enough to pack out.

Any suggestions? Anybody trying to sell soemthing that could work?

Surplus Army ruck. I know i can hear you all now, but hear me out. You are on a budget why waste a couple hundred bucks on a mid range pack that was never meant to do what you are wanting one for,(pack a heavy load)only to upgrade later when your finances allow?

I know that packs have advanced light years, but they are dependable and can be picked up for a song.

There is nothing wrong with buying entry level gear and upgrading as stuff wears out or you truly need it.I see a lot of young guys that think they have to have the newest and best,and there is nothing wrong with that but dont let it keep you on the sidelines.

The more experience I get the more I think that regular backpacking packs are more worth the money than a "hunting" pack. It seems that with many "hunting" packs you pay quite a bit more for camo and just the fact is called a "hunting" pack. You can find a cheap gregory or alps or northface pack with just as solid of stays for less then half the price of even the lower end "hunting" packs like Eberlestock and Badlands and such.

The more experience I get the more I think that regular backpacking packs are more worth the money than a "hunting" pack. It seems that with many "hunting" packs you pay quite a bit more for camo and just the fact is called a "hunting" pack. You can find a cheap gregory or alps or northface pack with just as solid of stays for less then half the price of even the lower end "hunting" packs like Eberlestock and Badlands and such.

Didnt even think about that. Thanks!

CabinFever makes a great point! The one difference is that with a true backpacking pack, while probably more comfortable than a lot of the hunting packs out there, you will have to put the meat in the pack with the rest of your gear. If you're ok with that, then great! If not, I used a badlands for years because I could carry my personals on the inside, and use the exterior flap and bat wings to hold all the meat and head of a muley buck without too much problem on the outside. I have now switched to MR, and it is heads and tails more comfortabl...but for the money, there's nothing wrong with the badlands...

For the college budget, why not try and borrow one? I have a frame pack thats hauled out a couple of deer, but never by me

Last edited:
You don't need a pack go Beast Mode and throw it over your shoulders and go. Or drag it out

KRasmussen, I really think that is a good option for a guy working with a budget. I humped one all over the world ,nothing fancy but the damn things work.

Save your dollars for fuel and food. Go to the nearest pawn shop, Goodwill Store or whatever and take a look. Find you a decent looking pack and frame that looks like some college girl from Kansas City used it once. Pay the 20 dollars and don't look back until you are rich and famous.
We have been using such packs for several years and I assure you that, unless you are hunting with Greenhorn you will not know the difference.

Here is proof that they work, the wife and boys backing out another load of meat, hide and head.
These packs even have hydration systems in them, they look suspiciously like one gallon milk jugs.
Go hunt, have fun! twodot

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 866
I've been doing it just like twodot for years. Old school metal frame pack that you can find at pawn shops or garage sales. Not the most comfortable thing, but it won't kill ya either. Have hauled out a few elk and a handfull of deer with them and they flat out work. Usually don't hike in it though. Only grab the meat haulers after I've got one down.

We used to go to REI and buy some webbing and buckles and add a couple of horrizontal straps to help control the volume of the ALICE pack and secure the loads a little better. For 30-40 bucks you can buy aftermarket shoulder straps and kidney pads for your ALICE.

There are deals to be had if you dig such as:
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=29995

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=30016

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6730707#Post6730707

Most guys will haggle with you a bit too.

Another option is to do what I did on a budget to get my Longhunter from Kifaru. I bought the G2 Bag with birthday cash, made sure all of my Christmas gifts were cash and bought the frame, and then found a MR LId for 65. Total package I saved close to $150.

I like Twodots idea. If you wanna go a little cheaper you just have to be a little tougher.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 584
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 595
Wow thanks guys! Opened up many ideas that never crossed my mind. I will research all the options and see whats gonna work out best. I like the surplus idea but I also like the REI idea. Getting a backpacking pack would double because my friends are trying to get me into backpacking. As for meat in the pack, I'm sure I can whip some contraption to fix that issue. Thanks again guys

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back