Best Elk Pack

3855WIN

I’m looking for a lightweight pack that has a spot to pack a rifle or bow and can pack out an elk quarter. I’m ready to find a better pack than my 15 year old Badlands 2200. Which pack do I need?

I will not be overnighting with this pack very often, if at all.

They’re not cheap but Exo has 15% off this week. The 1800 (add a lid) is on the same frame as their bigger packs and would be perfect for a daypack with the same serious hauling ability. They make a rifle carrier that can be mounted on either side or the front of the bag. If you do plan to overnight it would probably be better to step up to a 3200.

Kuiu. I have a Icon Pro. Holds my rifle and have taken out lots of quarters with her.
My wife and I each have an Icon Pro.

They have now packed:
5 Antelope
4 Moose
3 Elk
1 Caribou
1 Black Bear
8 Deer

Literally 100's of miles hiked loaded. This year alone we put on close to 100. 50-100# Hauls were common. I'd estimate that I've had as much as 150# on it before. A full moose hind weighs quite a bit! I've also done a mature bull elk hind and front shoulder which really pushed the limit of what I could physically do...

The packs after 7 seasons now are starting to show their use. Some minor tears and stitching starting to come undone. Still fully 100% functional yet.

They’re not cheap but Exo has 15% off this week. The 1800 (add a lid) is on the same frame as their bigger packs and would be perfect for a daypack with the same serious hauling ability. They make a rifle carrier that can be mounted on either side or the front of the bag. If you do plan to overnight it would probably be better to step up to a 3200.
Exo is my pack of choice. Personally though, Id just get the 6400. It packs down within 1/2" of the smaller pack and IIRC the weight difference is only 4 oz all per Exo's website. You have a day pack to a meat packing machine all in one pack that way.

You will not find better customer service in any industry than they offer, which is worth a lot to me.

Last edited:
Exo is my pack of choice. Personally though, Id just get the 6400. It packs down within 1/2" of the smaller pack and IIRCC the weight difference is only 4 oz all per Exo's website. You have a day pack to a meat packing machine all in one pack that way.

You will not find better customer service in any industry than they offer, which is worth a lot to me.
And they build them here as a plus to that customer service 👍

Is the bag and frame sold separately?
Yes but when you go through the process of buying, you will be able to get both at the same time. It's actually something I really like about the system. Its super easy to swap packs. My wife runs the 3200 and I have the 5200. I know the bags have changed a bit since we purchased and I don't think those exact sizes are still available as we have. Its nice when I'm not hunting with my wife to be able to take the 3200 if I don't need the full size 5200.

Is the bag and frame sold separately?
Yes, it all is. I have the Icon Pro 3500 with
Belt punches
Meat haul sling
Rifle sling
Stalker pack with hydration bottle

It’s my everyday pack. Holds all my crap. I put my rifle in the middle of pack not on side as it balances better. I can then put my shooting stick on one side and hiking poles on other.

Going on 5 years and hundreds of miles.

If it’s possible try on multiple brands and see what fits you the best. Everyone’s body is shaped a little different and different packs will fit better or worse. Just an example My first pack I bought a Kifaru because I heard so much good about them. Went to sheep show in reno the following year and tried a Kuiu and the Kuiu fit me better and is more comfortable under weight when packing. So I now use a Kuiu

For carrying your rifle look into the kifaru gun bearer they look goofy but are great for carrying your rifle out of the way

And I’d recommend buying a pack a little bigger than you think you need. They compress down out of the way when not in use and don’t add noticeable weight.

Does the idea of a day pack with a pack frame back at the truck make any sense? I’d like a smaller pack while I’m hunting, but maybe the newer packs are light enough for it not to matter?

Does the idea of a day pack with a pack frame back at the truck make any sense? I’d like a smaller pack while I’m hunting, but maybe the newer packs are light enough for it not to matter?
I run a Kuiu Icon Pro also. I run a 2200 for a day pack. It's light enough that it always comes with me. Even when the items I have packed in it could fit in my pockets. Carbon Fiber frame helps make the whole setup really light. I use it every time I'm hunting any big game. Even stand hunting here in the midwest!

Watch some videos on the Kuiu packs. That'll explain it better than words can explain!

Seek Outside packs made in Grand Junction, Colorado are great. I’ve got three bags for my frame that get used for different purposes.

Mystery Ranch pop up 38 and Metcalf options for me. Neither have dedicated gun/bow slings, but have myriads of attachment options with auxiliary straps. Both have the expandable meat shelf for quarters/game bags.

My wife and I each have an Icon Pro.

They have now packed:
5 Antelope
4 Moose
3 Elk
1 Caribou
1 Black Bear
8 Deer

Literally 100's of miles hiked loaded. This year alone we put on close to 100. 50-100# Hauls were common. I'd estimate that I've had as much as 150# on it before. A full moose hind weighs quite a bit! I've also done a mature bull elk hind and front shoulder which really pushed the limit of what I could physically do...

The packs after 7 seasons now are starting to show their use. Some minor tears and stitching starting to come undone. Still fully 100% functional yet.
You all have killed more game than CWD!!!

Mystery Ranch pop up 38 and Metcalf options for me. Neither have dedicated gun/bow slings, but have myriads of attachment options with auxiliary straps. Both have the expandable meat shelf for quarters/game bags.
I’m changing packs as well. I’m down to these two. Leaning toward the popup38. Seems to be perfect for hunting from a base camp.

I hated this. I guess it depends how far from truck you are hunting. I have the EXO 4800 and have been pleased. The minor (1-2lbs) increase in weight over my “day hunting” pack is 100% worth it. I have one pack, all my essentials are always there, no switching between packs etc. and on the rare instance I kill something here in Montana the first trip out is not wasted as @Talk2elk mentioned above.

Also as mentioned they are made in USA and great customer service. If you want a pack that can haul meat the three I would look at would be EXO, Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch. All quality and made in US. Idk about Kuiu, I was not impressed with Seek, their frame is composite or aluminum? neither of which is costly but they command same price point as others - the one I saw was just a large duffel. EXO uses titanium, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier use carbon fiber.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back