Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best Elk Pack

The best elk pack is the one that fits YOU. And fits you with weight in it!!

I'd go with a 5000+ cc pack that cinches down well. Look for something sub ~6.5lbs. (Something like a full curl is stupid they weigh like 10lbs empty, put a jacket, water, snacks, and a FAK it there and you're suddenly at 20lbs)

Personally I really like a gun barer with an under the arm carry. Your barrel is right there so it makes you more aware of where your muzzle is pointing and keeps it from getting in the way when your hiking.

I wouldn't buy something without a meatshelf. They just allow you to carry heavy loads better, and keep blood off your gear. They also give you more carrying capacity.

If this is just a day pack the meat shelf isn't as big a deal.

Not all meatshelves are created equal; You want weight to sit as high on your back as possible. Typically when people struggle or experience pain with heavy loads it's because the load is too low. You should not have anything below your butt, your meatshelf or your pack if it's going in the bag, should allow you to get the load above your hips. There are certain companies that have poorly designed shelves that don't allow correct load carrying.

Packs are constantly being redesigned so my experience with one brand and criticism might not be relevant with newer models so I will refrain.

I have a SG and I've used it on elk/deer/moose/caribou/goat etc backpack hunts and then also or whitetail tree stand, and small game hunts. I like being able to keep my headlamps, knife, etc in it all year round and not having to shift stuff to a new pack with each season.
I'd agree with almost all of this, my only change would be for a pack that doesn't do overnights often I prefer a smaller bag, then add a drybag on the meat shelf between the frame and pack if you need more space, this keeps you honest with what you are throwing in the pack, having a 5,000ci pack tempts me to bring all sorts of odds and ends and pretty soon the pack gets heavy... the other thing I like about this is that with some forethought you can have everything camp related in the dry bag and easily ditch it at your campsite and continue hunting with the daypack without having to unpack...
I definitely prefer a pack with a frame and some sort of meat shelf even for a daypack, getting the first quarter out on your way back to the truck to get a meat pack is the only way to go if you are solo, then ditch the bag and keep packing with the frame.

I'd agree with almost all of this, my only change would be for a pack that doesn't do overnights often I prefer a smaller bag, then add a drybag on the meat shelf between the frame and pack if you need more space, this keeps you honest with what you are throwing in the pack, having a 5,000ci pack tempts me to bring all sorts of odds and ends and pretty soon the pack gets heavy... the other thing I like about this is that with some forethought you can have everything camp related in the dry bag and easily ditch it at your campsite and continue hunting with the daypack without having to unpack...
I definitely prefer a pack with a frame and some sort of meat shelf even for a daypack, getting the first quarter out on your way back to the truck to get a meat pack is the only way to go if you are solo, then ditch the bag and keep packing with the frame.
Seems like a whole lotta messin' ;)

IMO kifaru has the most comfortable frame. EXO has the best bags as far as weight and pocket layout. I use the hoodlum for multi day and the exo 1800 for day hunts

I tried a EXO, sold it. Have about 6 packs hanging in my gear room. My go to is a Eberlestock F1 tall. Add the bags you want/need. Build it the why YOU want it.
I’ve picked up a few bags here and there. That what I think I’ll need, leave the rest at home or in the truck.
IMO, you can’t beat a eberlestock scabbard for rifle carry.
Everyone has their own opinion, that’s mine.

Back