Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Deep Freeze and Cooler

markwilks

Any suggestions on what size cooler and a deep freeze would be good for one Elk?

Coolers: A few, smaller 50-75qt, don't go too big (esp rotomolded) as they get too heavy to move

Freezer: Bigger than you think, and whatever you do, DO NOT buy a chest freezer. Everything will become a stinking mess, and prime cuts will get lost in the bottom. Stand-up freezer. Buy one 1st, or you'll be buying one anyway, just two tears from now after you've sold your chest freezer at a financial loss.

Freezer: Bigger than you think, and whatever you do, DO NOT buy a chest freezer. Everything will become a stinking mess, and prime cuts will get lost in the bottom. Stand-up freezer. Buy one 1st, or you'll be buying one anyway, just two tears from now after you've sold your chest freezer at a financial loss.
I would debate that. Milk crates make good divided compartments in a chest freezer. My bottom row is 2 laundry baskets, with 3 baskets across the top. I also group items in reusable cloth shopping bags.

Freezer Burn

Chest freezers tend to keep food at a more consistent temperature than upright freezers. This means that you can theoretically leave things frozen for longer periods of time without issue.This is because of their need for manual defrosting; there is less air circulating through the freezer, which keeps freezer burn to a minimum. In addition, there is no food stored on the door, which can be a different temperature than the interior.

Upright freezers that have been equipped with auto-defrost often have more air circulation. While this means that they’re lower in maintenance, it also means that food stored in them is more prone to developing freezer burn or the accumulation of ice crystals. Temperatures are also not as consistent, so you may not be able to leave food in an upright freezer for as long a period of time.

Chest Freezer​

finger up green
PROS
  • More storage capability
  • More affordable to purchase
  • Less expensive to run
  • More energy-efficient
  • Keeps food fresh during a power outage
  • Lasts 15 to 20 years

finger down grey
CONS
  • Fewer organizational baskets and shelves
  • No auto-defrost
  • Harder to clean and maintain
  • Takes up more floor space
  • Harder to reach items
$600 - $950
(14 cu. ft. chest freezer, installed)

Upright Freezer​

finger up green
PROS
  • More organizational baskets and shelves
  • Auto-defrost feature
  • Requires less floor space
  • Easier to clean
  • Items are easier to reach

finger down grey
CONS
  • Less space for large items
  • More costly
  • Faster fool spoilage during a power outage
  • Lasts 10 to 15 years
$700 - $1,150
(14.4 cu. ft. upright freezer, installed)

Any suggestions on what size cooler and a deep freeze would be good for one Elk?
Personally I wouldn't get a freezer specifically to fit an elk. Nice to have some extra room for other meat/animals, food, ice jugs, etc .. Also depends on size of your family and how much room you have for the freezer. I really like my chest freezer but like mentioned you need to create and organization process so your don't bury and forget things at the bottom.

I second cheat freezer and milk crates. Divide meat and cuts by container. No more having to dig

Personally I wouldn't get a freezer specifically to fit an elk. Nice to have some extra room for other meat/animals, food, ice jugs, etc .. Also depends on size of your family and how much room you have for the freezer. I really like my chest freezer but like mentioned you need to create and organization process so your don't bury and forget things at the bottom.
5C2C7B33-FAD0-4204-BE55-AEB36BBFEF15.jpeg
Always better to have more room! And this is the first year for the upright. I’m stoked. No more digging to find the cut I want.

I did keep the 1/2 chest freezer though.

I have a chest freezer and an upright. I can’t stand the chest freezer. It has milk crates in it. It’s better than no milk crates, but it still stinks.

Last edited:
^^^

I literally move batches of stuff from the chest freezer to the upright as soon as I have a clear shelf in the upright. It’s a system based entirely on preferring the upright freezer. I didn’t purchase either one, and when I was given the upright, I fell in love. I still have the chest because I perpetually have more frozen meat than will fit in the upright. When the chest starts getting low, I get paranoid and become very interested in shooting the first legal animal I see. Heck, I kinda feel that way when the chest isn’t completely full. I like to wonder where I’ll store the next animal I kill before I get too picky, BUT I’d rather have 2-3 uprights than a chest and an upright.

I have two 52 Quart Artics. They claim that their measurements are the actual quarts it will fit, unlike the "competition". I could barely get a quartered out/processed bull into the two. I'm buying a third for next year's trip.

Upright is the way to go as far as freezers, but it looks like you already figured that out.

I started with one chest freezer and now have three. They stay cold when the power is out. I keep one for processed wild game, one for quarters, roasts and heads waiting to be euro’d, and one for store bought stuff.

One day when I have the room I’ll add a upright but my dream is to have a walk in cooler and freezer.

I have two 52 Quart Artics. They claim that their measurements are the actual quarts it will fit, unlike the "competition". I could barely get a quartered out/processed bull into the two. I'm buying a third for next year's trip.

Upright is the way to go as far as freezers, but it looks like you already figured that out.
Thank you. I was thinking of buying two 100 qt coolers or a combination of coolers that gives me 200 qts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back