Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

UNIT 9 AZ LATE RIFLE HUNT

Geez, guys, seems like some folks must not have done so well in the early tag draws. I keep thinking back to the quote from Thumper's mom. Anyway, as you might expect there's plenty of information available if you dig a bit. As an example...https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/az-late-season-elk.261743/
This site has a search function? I wonder what I'd find if I searched Welcome to HT?

Ok you buch of mean Jerk's let see you guy's put your money where your mouth is.

Your post history is one of the richest I've ever seen.

Your first posts consisted of asking for help for a Colorado elk tag you drew in 521 in 2017.

A year later, in 2018, you pop on starting a thread asking for help for a New Mexico 6A elk tag you drew, claiming it is your first elk tag.

Up next, you started a thread asking what the bare minimum amount of meat you should give a friend of yours for helping you pack out an elk. Your friend sounds like a nice guy to come and help you pack an elk off of the mountain. I'm sure you gave him a couple of scraps of shank meat for his time....since, as you put it, it was your tag and you drove.

Up next, you ask for help to hunt Maui, HW.

Finally, here we are in 2024 with you asking for help with your elk tag in Arizona.

Hunt Talkers get tired of people who just want to take and never give back. You could have at least gotten back and reported how you did on the hunts you asked for help. Also, don't lie. People get sick of that, too. If you drew in 2017, don't say you got your first tag in 2018. It looks hilarious in your post history.

To make matters worse, you call hunters dicks because they aren't immediately wanting to spew information online to someone who only comes here wanting to take and not give.

I have found Hunt Talkers to be very generous with information, time and so forth. It is a great group of people. Despite all of our differences, which are many, we are all here because we love hunting and desire to be in a community of other hunters. I have helped a good amount of people with the knowledge, although limited, that I have of some tags I've drawn. I have also been helped greatly. When people sense someone who only wants to take, don't be surprised with their responses. Honestly, I felt like everyone here is using kid gloves on you considering your level of entitlement as evidenced by your post history.
I had to turn the Colorado tag back in because my father died.

The New Mexico hunt was a bust. I did not see any elk. Some sign but ended up getting rain and lighting the last 2 days.

The elk share meat question was because I literally have no idea how it works. I have never had anyone teach me to hunt or take me hunting. I am trying to figure all this
out on my own. It didn't matter because I did not kill anything anyway.

The Maui question was for a friend.

As far as GIVING, what do you think I have to offer in the way of advice ?

And "ENTITLEMENT"? You don't know me! You don't know where I am coming from and to think you do from some posts on a forum is pretty RICH to think you do.

What I have learned from this is how NOT to treat someone who is asking questions, maybe in not the approved HT way but legit questions non the less.

Good luck to you sir and GOD speed.

The New Mexico hunt was a bust. I did not see any elk. Some sign but ended up getting rain and lighting the last 2 days.

The elk share meat question was because I literally have no idea how it works. I have never had anyone teach me to hunt or take me hunting. I am trying to figure all this

And "ENTITLEMENT"? You don't know me! You don't know where I am coming from and to think you do from some posts on a forum is pretty RICH to think you do.

What I have learned from this is how NOT to treat someone who is asking questions, maybe in not the approved HT way but legit questions non the less.

You asked for help.

When you didn't get the answer you wanted, you called us unemployed dicks.

That's entitlement.

And back to my whole thing about the lying...Screenshot_20240229-154302~2.png

View attachment 317491
Apparently, I was responding to this guys offer.
My mistake, as I thought I was asking for info for the friend prior to him hunting during my wedding week.
You win.
Huh? You thought you were asking for hunting help for the friend who had already hunted axis deer on Maui before your wedding three years prior?

Dude...

Screenshot_20240229-154302~2.png

Listen man. Ask whatever you want.

But don't get mad when people feel they're being used and don't give you the exact coordinates of the exact tree to sit against to shoot a 380-inch bull.

And definitely don't think people will just throw you information when you go into victim mode.

Some general tips for unit 9. When e-scouting, look for roads that are white or yellow white. These are gravelled roads and will give you the best access, especially if there is any moisture. The red brown roads are natural dirt and will get slick and rutted when wet. There will be lots of people camping, but get a mile or so off the pavement and it thins out quickly. The weather can be very unpredictable that time of year. I've been there from warm and dusty to 24" of snow. I suggest trying to stay close to the gravelled roads when picking a camp site.
The elk will move around the unit depending on weather. Lots of snow and it will push them off the high ground which is right against the National Park boundary. Route 64 is the only paved north to south road through the unit. Generically it is higher on the East side of 64. You loose elevation as you move south and west in the unit. The extreme west side of the unit is grasslands. You can find elk there amid the cattle, but it is exceptionally difficult to get close to them.

You didn't say if this was a bull or cow hunt. Bulls will stay higher longer than the cows. If you are doing the cow hunt and get there early for scouting, be aware that the Bull hunt will still be going and be respectful of their hunt. They can also be a great resource for recent sightings.

Glassing is pretty limited and honestly I never take anything besides my binos.

You can get a long way from pavement, so make sure you take fuel. Your only in unit option for fuel is Tusayan on the Northside and Grand Junction on the south.

I also suggest having an air compressor so you can air down for the dirt roads. Once you are off the gravelled roads there is lots of broken rock which can do a number on tires.

Good luck.

And remember the advice from Bill Christy the elk will be underground because that's where the elk go looking for water. :whistle:

Some general tips for unit 9. When e-scouting, look for roads that are white or yellow white. These are gravelled roads and will give you the best access, especially if there is any moisture. The red brown roads are natural dirt and will get slick and rutted when wet. There will be lots of people camping, but get a mile or so off the pavement and it thins out quickly. The weather can be very unpredictable that time of year. I've been there from warm and dusty to 24" of snow. I suggest trying to stay close to the gravelled roads when picking a camp site.
The elk will move around the unit depending on weather. Lots of snow and it will push them off the high ground which is right against the National Park boundary. Route 64 is the only paved north to south road through the unit. Generically it is higher on the East side of 64. You loose elevation as you move south and west in the unit. The extreme west side of the unit is grasslands. You can find elk there amid the cattle, but it is exceptionally difficult to get close to them.

You didn't say if this was a bull or cow hunt. Bulls will stay higher longer than the cows. If you are doing the cow hunt and get there early for scouting, be aware that the Bull hunt will still be going and be respectful of their hunt. They can also be a great resource for recent sightings.

Glassing is pretty limited and honestly I never take anything besides my binos.

You can get a long way from pavement, so make sure you take fuel. Your only in unit option for fuel is Tusayan on the Northside and Grand Junction on the south.

I also suggest having an air compressor so you can air down for the dirt roads. Once you are off the gravelled roads there is lots of broken rock which can do a number on tires.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. This is great info. I really apricate all the insight. I am looking forward to this big time.

Are you planning on camping in the unit during your hunt? Like a trailer or tent?
I am planning on camping but that could change quickly depending how how low the temps get or high the snow gets. I am trying to get a off grid type camper lined up but I do have a good ground tent. Why do you ask?

I am planning on camping but that could change quickly depending how how low the temps get or high the snow gets. I am trying to get an off grid type camper lined up but I do have a good ground tent. Why do you ask?
If it was me I would just delete this post and walk away. I’d go down to 9 and just get black out drunk for like first 2 days of season. Then and this where things get tricky I’d recommend a camper but your gonna need to burn that mf’er to the ground. I mean make it look like you cooked some bad meth up in there torched. After that you jump on here and make a new post. Something along the lines of A az elk hunt in unit 9 at my wits end. Post up all the pictures of your hunt so far and describe the burning of the trailer in anger. Guys will give up so many pins I bet a couple would even unofficially guide you. Click link for proof.

If it was me I would just delete this post and walk away. I’d go down to 9 and just get black out drunk for like first 2 days of season. Then and this where things get tricky I’d recommend a camper but your gonna need to burn that mf’er to the ground. I mean make it look like you cooked some bad meth up in there torched. After that you jump on here and make a new post. Something along the lines of A az elk hunt in unit 9 at my wits end. Post up all the pictures of your hunt so far and describe the burning of the trailer in anger. Guys will give up so many pins I bet a couple would even unofficially guide you. Click link for proof.

Might work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back