I've spent some time in that area, and i can definitely give a few pointers -
  1. Research Elk Habits
  2. Study Maps
  3. Scout the Area
  4. Use Binoculars and Spotting Scopes
  5. Listen for calls
  6. Be Patient and Persistent
  7. Follow Regulations

I drew a late rifle hunt for UNIT 9 in AZ and looking for any and all help and info I can get. I will coming from CA and am willing to do what it takes to get one in the cooler.
Thanks in advance. Mike
Expect a couple of hunters in the field. Post-rut elk are not vocal unless you use the right call, so glass and cover ground with your lifted f-250. Weather can be cold so turn the heater on high. Broken racks are common. Liberal use of the hoochie mama call from the truck should make for an easy hunt to find big bulls. Just turn the radio down first.

The majority of this unit is pinyon-juniper woodlands, and is relatively flat. If you go off the unit to the east you'll have some excellent opportunities for some Indian fry bread.

Go north and watch all the elk in the park. Unit 9 is one of the hardest late season hunts. Maybe build a high rack ?

Go north and watch all the elk in the park. Unit 9 is one of the hardest late season hunts. Maybe build a high rack ?
Get an Old timey Ebike for when you need to be stealthy but gain elevation. DON'T STEAL MY IDEA, i'm working on a patent on this now.

1709225018761.png

Expect a couple of hunters in the field. Post-rut elk are not vocal unless you use the right call, so glass and cover ground with your lifted f-250. Weather can be cold so turn the heater on high. Broken racks are common. Liberal use of the hoochie mama call from the truck should make for an easy hunt to find big bulls. Just turn the radio down first.

The majority of this unit is pinyon-juniper woodlands, and is relatively flat. If you go off the unit to the east you'll have some excellent opportunities for some Indian fry bread.
hahhaha..... Thanks

Everybody is so nice here. I can't see why everyone thinks hunters are dicks? I also had no idea there were so many out of work comedians that hunt. Amazing! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dude. U asked for it.

Why apply for a unit. In what amounts to the easier to draw late hunts. Then come out swinging asking for help.

Why not just put in the work and try and make it happen. Probably get more satisfaction in the end if you manage to pull it off.

Everybody is so nice here. I can't see why everyone thinks hunters are dicks? I also had no idea there were so many out of work comedians that hunt. Amazing! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Your post history shows you are a leech. Leeches get fed to the fishes. It's pretty tough in the off-season! You not contributing to anything but only asking for help with tags is just asking for a verbal beat down. Enjoy!

Your post history is one of the richest I've ever seen.

Your first posts consisted of asking for help for a Colorado elk tag you drew in 521 in 2017.

A year later, in 2018, you pop on starting a thread asking for help for a New Mexico 6A elk tag you drew, claiming it is your first elk tag.

Up next, you started a thread asking what the bare minimum amount of meat you should give a friend of yours for helping you pack out an elk. Your friend sounds like a nice guy to come and help you pack an elk off of the mountain. I'm sure you gave him a couple of scraps of shank meat for his time....since, as you put it, it was your tag and you drove.

Up next, you ask for help to hunt Maui, HW.

Finally, here we are in 2024 with you asking for help with your elk tag in Arizona.

Hunt Talkers get tired of people who just want to take and never give back. You could have at least gotten back and reported how you did on the hunts you asked for help. Also, don't lie. People get sick of that, too. If you drew in 2017, don't say you got your first tag in 2018. It looks hilarious in your post history.

To make matters worse, you call hunters dicks because they aren't immediately wanting to spew information online to someone who only comes here wanting to take and not give.

I have found Hunt Talkers to be very generous with information, time and so forth. It is a great group of people. Despite all of our differences, which are many, we are all here because we love hunting and desire to be in a community of other hunters. I have helped a good amount of people with the knowledge, although limited, that I have of some tags I've drawn. I have also been helped greatly. When people sense someone who only wants to take, don't be surprised with their responses. Honestly, I felt like everyone here is using kid gloves on you considering your level of entitlement as evidenced by your post history.

Geez, guys, seems like some folks must not have done so well in the early tag draws. I keep thinking back to the quote from Thumper's mom. Anyway, as you might expect there's plenty of information available if you dig a bit. As an example...https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/az-late-season-elk.261743/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back