MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Deadlines coming up...

T Bone---I 'm sure you were kidding on that NM unit 2c comment, LOL!

bushwcker---You may want to modify your numbers before June 3 as unit 114 takes near max points as a first choice and you have it as a third choice. No way Jose, as they say!

Last edited:
Just mailed off my CO sheep & Mt Goat apps...almost 4K on loan for 6 weeks or so

For the first time in a long time I didnt apply to NM...partly on principle but mostly because my fall is busy, my wife and I are expecting our 3rd child in June/July and I'm finishing my basement. Still have a week to change my mind ;)

Lots of states to do yet though...

Procrastinated til yesterday for Colorado First Rifle Elk. Still ruminating 3rd season Mule Deer.

Not a lot of discussion when the New Mexico deadline passed. They ended up with $7,800 of my money for now anyway. Just got done putting the stamp on my Colorado Sheep and Goat apps. Did the deer and elk online so they have a little over $4,000 of mine right now too.

I guess next up is Nevada.

Well NP,

At least the odds are better than.....

the-lottery-demotivational-poster-1282870841.png

With all the new desert sheep areas I'm surprised more people havent talked about NM...they have a bunch of my money, and I hope they keep every cent.

Just finished up my Nevada application. Deadline is April 16th this year.

Suckered another $100 out of my with the new dream tags.

Not sure why I'm buying antelope points there but after you pay $142 for the license what's another $16.50 for an antelope point?

I went ahead and updated for the draws already past.

I've thought about Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc., but I can hunt whitetails here in Texas.

Are the Oklahoma elk tags open to nonresidents?

I need to add Texas desert bighorn in there as well.

Oklahoma controlled hunts are available to non residens. Kinda cool program if you want to hunt uncrowded public land. Odds were 1 in 45 for cows and 464 for bulls in Wichita mts NWR. 1 in 7,000 for Cookson and pushmataha wma's where there is only 1 tag for each area. Propably some old bulls in there. Another area, Spavinaw, doesn't allow hunting of elk and I've heard there are some really cool non typical bulls in there. Propably from the inbreeding.

Problem with TX and OK draws is they use a "hidden" Bonus Pt structure. They list the number of applicants but not the amount of real applications. Hunts like the OK Bull Elk and TX Desert Sheep true odds probably make a NM Gila Bull Elk tag look like a slam dunk.

Not a lot of discussion when the New Mexico deadline passed. They ended up with $7,800 of my money for now anyway. Just got done putting the stamp on my Colorado Sheep and Goat apps. Did the deer and elk online so they have a little over $4,000 of mine right now too.

I guess next up is Nevada.

Wow, wish i had the $$$ to be putting in for that many different places. Good luck with Nevada as i have told others, very good draw odds here for out of staters. Even with little to no points.

Wow, wish i had the $$$ to be putting in for that many different places. Good luck with Nevada as i have told others, very good draw odds here for out of staters. Even with little to no points.

That's the crazy thing about the application game. When you are younger you don't have the money set aside to be able to apply and build points and when your older there isn't any reason to apply for some of the harder to draw stuff because you more than likely aren't going to be able to draw the tag before you are going to be too old to hunt it.

I've started keeping up with a spreadsheet with the deadlines, fees, etc. and break it into refundable and nonrefundable categories.

When it is all said and done I'll end up with almost all of it back anyway. By the end of the year I'll end up with just over $1,000 spent on nonrefundable licenses and drawing fees including supertag and raffles, and have almost $18,000 out of pocket at the peak of application season.

If I get exceptionally lucky I'll end up with one of those states keeping some big money instead of sending it back (Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho) or maybe a state telling me to send some more money in to pay for a tag that I drew (Utah, Arizona or Nevada).

Got my Arizona sheep, buffalo and deer applications in.

Need to buy some super tags still. Might spend a little more on them since I've struck out on everything else.

Just noticed today that the Texas draw book is out. I know a few of you apply.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back