DAV moose hunt...WOOHOO!!!!!

I think I have a copy of Gouthro’s moose madness floating around if you want to borrow it. It was extremely helpful for my moose hunt.

I got the call of a lifetime yesterday morning. I was selected for a DAV moose hunt in Idaho this fall. I can't thank Bryan (@brymoore) for setting me up with IWF and getting me sponsored into this. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. The biggest thing I've killed was a couple of cow elk. This is all new to me and I'm still trying to come to terms with it and starting logistics. We'll be in unit 73. Does anyone have info on the area, such at rutting dates and butchers in the area or anyone who lives near wanting to stop in camp for a beer? Would I be better off hunting the rut or waiting until after deer season? Ugh....so much to think about and take in and plan....
Wow....Good luck !

I didn’t think this could get any better. Very cool that you get to share the experience with your dad. Really happy for you both.
I felt the same way. I was very happy for you John, that you would have the opportunity to hunt moose---and then---when you posted that your Dad was going with you-- :love: it. Very happy for you both . Have a wonderful trip/hunt

Dont take a dog --or for a shorter shot, maybe take one ;) ( referring to a couple recent threads/news stories )

Cool, wasn’t aware that’s a thing! I’m a disabled combat vet myself. Is this hunt the Idaho disabled veteran tag draw, or is it a program through DAV?

Bottom of the page. It’s more complicated than it should be. The veteran needs a sponsor conservation organization. Idaho Wildlife Federation sponsored John. Paperwork is completed and sent to IDFG in January. It’s forwarded to Idaho Division of Veterans for review. IDV gets two tags. IDFG selects the other three tags. It’s not a lottery. The tags are awarded based on service experience and DAV reason.

It’s for several big game tags. Moose is only trophy tag.

Last edited:
Congratulations John Cushman!! That is absolutely wonderful! It makes my heart sing to see such an outpouring of support for you.…Thank you for your service!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back