DAV moose hunt...WOOHOO!!!!!

So, I put my faith and belief in Gerald and we all head out. We park the UTV and Gerald says it's a gentle walk up hill and we'll go as slow as I need to go to get up there. We head up the hill. We come to close to the top of the hill and I'm at a dead stop. Already in pain and out of breath Gerald says it's only a little way up from there. Matt takes one one of the trekking poles I'm using and starts to drag me up the near vertical part of the hill and Gerald pushes me up by the butt. He has soft and gentle hands.

My takeaway here is this: Gerald Martin is a good game spotter, a good liar, and he has soft and gentle hands. That made me chuckle when you wrote that @JohnCushman !

Nice (single shot!) shooting

The moose is down!! Emily and Brian say so and come down from their vantage points. Gerald is filming. I light up a cigarette to celebrate. Now we have to go cross the canyon. We start our way down the hill as we find the easiest path. WE get to the bottom and holy shit, the uphill sucks. We start up, It's damned near straight up. I'm side hilling like Matt showed me. Everyone goes up ahead of me except Grant. He takes my trekking pole and drags me up through a rocky area and tells me we're only about 40 yards away. I get up the rest of the way and I can see the moose and everyone standing around him. I get up to him and am speechless. I don't deserve this. The moment is surreal. I walk up to him and touch him. I can't express the emptions that ran through me all at once. Next thing I know my dad is coming up the hill. HOLY SHIT!!! 73 years old and he dragged himself up that hill. I seemed to be the only one with game bags, but they were in my ruck sack down at the UTV. Brian goes down the hill for a few things and comes back up carrying his bag, plus mine and another. We take a ton of pics and me and dad sit down while the others start in on gutting and quartering the bull. They send me and dad back down the hill to get the fire going and set up for dinner. Dad is ahead of me and he finds the trail through the ravine. We make it back to camp and I am in so much pain I could almost cry. Dad works on the fire while I sit in the truck. Not too long after dark we see head lamps and hear the others coming down the hill. They drop off the meat and we all gather around the fire and start drinking adult beverages. Grant shows up with a table and grill and they grab my stove. Gerald starts in on making poppers while Grant starts grilling elk backstraps. We eat, we drink, we enjoy each other's company....

Ouch. I'm embarassed at what I look like. I lost weight before the hunt, but not nearly enough.

Nope. You lost weight before the hunt and you killed a f’in moose. I like it.

Neither of these are easy things. Keep working on it if you want to, but don’t diminish what you accomplished so far. That’s some damn hard work. Ask me how I know 🤷🏻‍♀️
Nice job all around Cush.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back