Caribou Gear

Daughters First!

Lawnboy

Had the great opportunity to go out with my 15 year old daughter on the youth hunt. It wasn't up until last year did she show interest in hunting. I never pushed her but man has she latched on to it.
We tried an area that I thought would be an easy deer hunt in the morning but never saw a deer. She was down in the dumps and I was feeling bad. I had a friend tell me to plan on an evening mountain hunt in a place where he had seen some bucks while elk hunting. It turned out to be a true mountain hunt. We finally caught glimpses of some deer through the dead timber but they were on a steep slope and only offering glimpses. I began to think this isn't a good shot for a first timer and that we needed something in the open and where we could get a good rest. After much following and the bucks dropping lower I felt we were out of luck. Well just as I had given up I caught some movement above us and somehow we got below them. I quickly took off my pack and hers and set the gun on them and said lay down and get them in the scope. The bigger buck was acting smarter and only giving us looks from behind some trees. The little guy wasn't as cagey and stopped broadside at just over 90 yds straight uphill. I talked her through finding the buck and settling the crosshairs just behind the shoulder. I was praying for a good shot but was thinking It might be a rough one. She slowly squeezed the trigger and the buck dropped right in its tracks. Almost immediately she sat back and said "I did it dad! I got him!" It was priceless and wish I could of caught it on video. She was soo excited and curious as to how this whole process works. She helped me clean it and helped with packing it up the hill along with the help of a good friend. Even climbing out of the hole she kept asking if I was ok and if I needed a rest. It was impressive to see her genuine interest and desire to experience the whole thing.
mariah.jpg

Ran across 3 of these guy's tracks up on the ridge. Man I want to shoot one this year.
wolf.jpg

Man that is awesome right there! That's a memory you'll both share for life. Congrats to your daughter and to you as well.

I am probably a little biased, knowing that wonderful young hunter, but that story makes me smile a mile. Very happy for both of you. Truly a day that will be etched forever in both of your minds as something special. Thanks for sharing here.

Congrats to her.

Very precious Daddy-daughter time. Absolutely love it, Great work you two!! :):):):):)

Congratulations to your daughter. Good for you, not pushing her but taking her on her own wishes.

I just love seeing young ladies with dead animals!

I love telling stories about my hunting daughters. Wonderful story about yours Lawnboy. Congratulations to your accomplished hunter.

Great job both of you!! I got to experience a first this year with my son and this:
I was praying for a good shot but was thinking It might be a rough one.
was all too real. I think I was more nervous for that shot than any shot I've taken of my own.

Nice Job Bart..... Congrats to both of you..... I'm happy to see any parent showing the Ethics and encouragement to any child. It's special when it's your own....

Way to go Bart! That is awesome. There's nothing like sharing the hunting experience with your children. Good luck on the rest of your season. - Greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back