Curse of the Unit X Tag

Gerald Martin

Some of you guys will recognize this country. To avoid contributing to the popularizing of an already hard to draw hunt, the unit will remain nameless. My friend Rick Farthing drew this tag this year and I was able to tag along. As with many special permits, the stories from those "in the know" varied from, "its overated' to "don't shoot anything less than a 190", to "you should have been here five years ago"

Rick set his personal goal of taking a mature buck and had the time to be patient. He knew that killing a big deer in a special unit is not a given and wasn't going to be as picky about score as much as making sure he looked over a lot of deer and shot one he liked.

The reason we started referring to the hunt as The Curse of the XX Unit was that many people have unrealistic expectations, and in a moment of weakness, panic or give up on finding that special buck and shoot an animal that they end up regretting later.

I'm under time constraints so I'll be adding pics and commentary to this thread over the next couple days.

Our summertime scouting turned up this -- https://vimeo.com/47347475
Some of you may have already seen this video but it sets the stage as to what our baseline expectations were. Rick would have been happy with several of these deer.

He wanted to make sure that he held off until the rut kicked in before he filled his tag unless a true monster showed up. He still had his tag intact on the second week of November. I went with him to film that hunt. Here is what we turned up.
https://vimeo.com/53728874

Some of the average bucks we saw.

Attachments

• DSCN1022.jpg
    DSCN1022.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 932
  • DSCN1142.jpg
    DSCN1142.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 947
  • DSCN1167.jpg
    DSCN1167.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 958
Last edited:
The video was fun to watch. Nice muley.

Nice pics and Vid Gerald, best of luck to your buddy and cutting a decent notch in his tag...looks like your in the right unit for it..

Really enjoyed your videos Gerald. My 6 y.o. daughter liked watching your hunts. She called the wide 4x4 in the summer video "My Buck" She wonders if that was the buck Rick shot.

She called the wide 4x4 in the summer video "My Buck" She wonders if that was the buck Rick shot

Not the same buck 2rocky. In fact we never saw any of the nicer bucks we saw during the summer in hunting season. We had never seen the buck that Rick killed before we shot him.

Here's some pics from an hour or so before we were able to kill the buck. I know you should never judge a buck from behind but it sure gets you excited when you see that rack going away from you.

Attachments

• DSCN1184.jpg
    DSCN1184.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 816
  • DSCN1181.jpg
    DSCN1181.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 815
  • DSCN1180.jpg
    DSCN1180.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 816

Attachments

• DSCN1157.jpg
    DSCN1157.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 794
  • DSCN1158.jpg
    DSCN1158.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
The obligatory trophy photos. I was trying for some new angles.

Attachments

• DSCN1190.JPG
    DSCN1190.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 764
  • DSCN1200.jpg
    DSCN1200.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 761
  • DSCN1205.jpg
    DSCN1205.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 749
Cool pictorial Gerald.

I dread drawing that tag... I think it would be almost overwhelmingly stressful! My moose tag last year was similar...after 6 or 7 days of seeing no big bulls I was getting a little on edge!!!

I know a guy with that tag (the deer tag) that hasn't filled yet...

Tasteful and respectful video Gerald, well done. Congrats to Mr. Farthing and yourself.

That's a really well done video Gerald, turned out great.

I've never gotten to hunt that unit, but try to go down most years and see what's hanging around in the winter. From I've been seeing the last couple years, you guys did very well with that buck. Congratulations to both of you guys.

What a great buck and video. The part I liked the most was that the hunter was ultimately happy with the animal. Too many times in special units people will say just hold out for a 190 or better buck but the reality is that there may only be a handful if that in the entire unit. You guys scouted and hunted hard and more than likely took a buck that is in the top tier for the unit.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back