Crossbows and trapping, again

Wildabeast

@daltrix99 hit the nail on the head. Definitely not elitist - just the reality of we shouldn't make it but so easy. If that dissuades some people away from hunting, then so be it. If you make it too easy, then you diminish the experience and the respect for the animal's life. If they don't want to work for it, let them go spend big $money$ on live animal target practice in high fence private preserves.

Bowhuntrben

Perhaps only traditional archery should be allowed during OTC archery seasons. Based on the arguments that I'm seeing, it seems major concerns people have with crossbows is that they make it too easy and that it will bring more people into the woods. Compound bows do the same thing when compared with traditional archery. If OTC was limited to traditional archery only, there would be significantly fewer hunters in the woods. I say if that's the card you want to play against crossbows, then the same judgement should be used against modern compound bows.

Buffs35

I'd be okay with crossbows in archery season across the board if i get to use one during wolf and grizz season.

Straight Arrow

I'd be okay with crossbows in archery season across the board if i get to use one during wolf and grizz season.
'Sorry, no grizz season ... yet. However, in Montana crossbows are allowed as weapons during the general hunting seasons of most, if not all, species, including wolf. Also, crossbows are allowed in some Weapons Restricted Areas even during the Archery Only season.

daltrix99

Perhaps only traditional archery should be allowed during OTC archery seasons. Based on the arguments that I'm seeing, it seems major concerns people have with crossbows is that they make it too easy and that it will bring more people into the woods. Compound bows do the same thing when compared with traditional archery. If OTC was limited to traditional archery only, there would be significantly fewer hunters in the woods. I say if that's the card you want to play against crossbows, then the same judgement should be used against modern compound bows.
I used the word threshold in my post, and while we cannot know for sure, there obviously is a certain amount of pressure, fair chase, and successful harvest rate that both hunters and biologists deem acceptable when it comes to bowhunting elk here in Montana. Clearly this is not a consensus, but in my opinion it is a responsible majority.

It's ok to use logic that allows for increased harvest odds (i.e. compound bows) up to a certain extent, and disallows progression. Nuance is important here. Your logic would fall apart when applied to any number of other examples - like the speed limit. We have to be comfortable regulating gray areas and agreeing on when enough is enough.