Crossbows and trapping, again

Posted before I read the whole thing. Looks like there is another citizen's petition to ban the use of non-lethal box and cage traps for recreational and commercial purposes, which would effectively kill what trapping we have left in the state.

My initial reaction is obviously WTF....

That said I wonder if a middle ground option would be to allow crossbows as an optional method of take with a muzzy tag.

I mainly don’t like the idea of OTC unlimited crossbows.

Posted before I read the whole thing. Looks like there is another citizen's petition to ban the use of non-lethal box and cage traps for recreational and commercial purposes, which would effectively kill what trapping we have left in the state.
I just saw that as well... have fun with the raccoons in the attic.

My initial reaction is obviously WTF....

That said I wonder if a middle ground option would be to allow crossbows as an optional method of take with a muzzy tag.

I mainly don’t like the idea of OTC unlimited crossbows.
I was thinking the same thing.

This could be completely false and I have no recollection of where I read it, but I swear I saw the reasoning behind the trapping ban had something to do with the coronavirus outbreak...

One of the main parts of archery season is a hunter actually being proficient with a bow and I just don't like the idea pf everybody being able to use a crossbow.

One of the main parts of archery season is a hunter actually being proficient with a bow and I just don't like the idea pf everybody being able to use a crossbow.

* Painting with broad strokes warning *

On the east coast folks are mostly hunting out of stands or blinds, their movements are therefore hidden from the animal.

In the west most hunting is spot and stalk, few people are hunting elk with a bow from a stand or blind. In that context drawing your bow becomes a major factor. Crossbows therefore have a huge advantage, though no more than a muzzy.

My main issue is increasing efficacy in an OTC season where wildlife managers don’t have the ability to respond to over harvest by decreasing number of hunters in the field. Muzzy tags are already limited and therefore it’s a non-issue.

I don’t begrudge someone wanting to experience hunting elk in the rut, and I understand that archery doesn’t work for everyone. I like there are ways of allowing more participation without putting more stress on the resource.

On the east coast folks are mostly hunting out of stands or blinds, their movements are therefore hidden from the animal.

110% not trying to start an argument but...

I'm over here laughing and I believe you need to do a live hunt thread when you move east.

Even if you're not moving, those bastards will be feeding then all of the sudden whip their head up and pin you like you're wearing a bright pink jump suit waving your arms like mad man.

Or, they catch you move then they calm down just enough to fool you so when you go to get that itch that was killing you on your nose, BUSTED. It's always the old nanny doe, she will burn a hole into your soul and make you rethink your life choices. I've found bucks aren't as aware ha!

It's humbling the eyesight of a whitetail no matter how high up a tree you are or how well you are camouflaged.

110% not trying to start an argument but...

I'm over here laughing and I believe you need to do a live hunt thread when you move east.

Even if you're not moving, those bastards will be feeding then all of the sudden whip their head up and pin you like you're wearing a bright pink jump suit waving your arms like mad man.

Or, they catch you move then they calm down just enough to fool you so when you go to get that itch that was killing you on your nose, BUSTED. It's always the old nanny doe, she will burn a hole into your soul and make you rethink your life choices. I've found bucks aren't as aware ha!

It's humbling the eyesight of a whitetail no matter how high up a tree you are or how well you are camouflaged.
1. I’m counting on being humbled :)

2. Like I said broad strokes... I bet less than 100 elk have been killed out of a double bull blind in CO. More just trying to highlight regional differences in hunting styles influence how people view certain types of hunting.

1. I’m counting on being humbled :)

2. Like I said broad strokes... I bet less than 100 elk have been killed out of a double bull blind in CO. More just trying to highlight regional differences in hunting styles influence how people view certain types of hunting.

The reason people hate crossbows back east is because the whole difficulty of archery hunting to them is getting your bow drawn. Most shots are within 30yds or less due to not having clear shots so the learning curve for shooting a compound isn't much.

Not only drawing your bow but sometimes your caught sitting when that buck sneaks in and now you have to stand and draw which is even more difficult. Compared to a crossbow where you're sitting, oh there he is, shoulder the bow, then away it goes.

PA it used to be you had to have a medical reason to shoot a crossbow and when they opened it up for everybody it nearly doubled the archery hunters. Terrible decision.

I'm not big on crossbows but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed. Most places here in midwest there allowed for the full 90 plus day season. That's the part I dont like 15 -20 years ago the slug guns we were using on a seven day season had the same range and lethality of the crossbows during a 90 say season with more available tags here also. The trapping deal though that's just plain sucks!

Anybody actually hunt with a crossbow? My dad has used one the last couple years in MN. He’s taken plenty of big deer with a compound but that’s no longer really an option for him. MN allows crossbows for medical reasons and people over 60. I personally think this is reasonable without needing to open it up to everyone. I could see for young people too. I ask about anybody hunting with one because those SOBs are heavy and super awkward to carry. And that’s just what I’ve seen in mild terrain. Can’t imagine carrying one of those things around in the mountains. I wouldn’t think it would mean much more competition for people getting away from roads. As suggested, maybe the better option would be to allow them during muzzy or create another limited draw for them if allowing them for regular archery isn’t an option

I don't hunt with a crossbow.
However, they are great weapons at introducing new hunters into the sport and kids as young as 8 or younger. You can take someone who never hunted a day in their life hunting with a crossbow instantly, after inviting them if they say yes and you can't do that with a bow. It also keeps some SR hunters hunting more years or later in life. Not to many 85 year olds can draw a bow anymore but if you can still hunt with a crossbow. We as hunters gotta stop being so selfish and non peripheral in regards to weapons and techniques. Grow the sport if crossbows bring new hunters into the sport I am for it. The archery season is a great time to get new hunters out as the weather is perfect and it just adds more opportunity and time afield. Not to many years ago my 8 year old daughter at the time and a buddies 7 year old son and my 75 year old father all killed nice 8-9 point bucks one weekend with the horrible crossbow.

Anybody actually hunt with a crossbow? My dad has used one the last couple years in MN. He’s taken plenty of big deer with a compound but that’s no longer really an option for him. MN allows crossbows for medical reasons and people over 60. I personally think this is reasonable without needing to open it up to everyone. I could see for young people too. I ask about anybody hunting with one because those SOBs are heavy and super awkward to carry. And that’s just what I’ve seen in mild terrain. Can’t imagine carrying one of those things around in the mountains. I wouldn’t think it would mean much more competition for people getting away from roads. As suggested, maybe the better option would be to allow them during muzzy or create another limited draw for them if allowing them for regular archery isn’t an option
I would never carry a crossbow elk hunting to bulky and awkward heavy. I lied, I would if I thought it would give a young kid opportunity who could not draw a bow or a older hunter who couldn't do it on their own then a archery season with a bow would be a perfect hunt for them.

Back