Caribou Gear Tarp

Crappy weather tents (room to move)

I've been using a springbar family camper for 12 seasons. There is no reason I won't get 12 more out of it. Made in USA. They now have them with factory installed stove jacks if you want to run a wood burner.

https://springbar.com/collections/a...gbar-hot-tent-packages?variant=30706826772557
Very interesting seeing them offer that option now. Years a go I was in Kirkhams looking at their tents and asked about adding a stove jack. Guy I was talking with said that they are not built for that. Looked around to make sure no one was within earshot then said, but it works very well, especially if you guy out the four roof corners.

Can't beat the ol wall tents in my opinion. They just have a certain nostalgia to them when it comes to late season or backcountry hunting on horses. If your looking for a lighter option obviously Cabela's Alaknak tents are sweet or tipis. The new stone glacier 6p tent looks unique as well. Good luck.

$$$

Very interesting seeing them offer that option now. Years a go I was in Kirkhams looking at their tents and asked about adding a stove jack. Guy I was talking with said that they are not built for that. Looked around to make sure no one was within earshot then said, but it works very well, especially if you guy out the four roof corners.
Agreed. I purchased one of the stoves from springbar last year and cut a hole in my springbar... Used their flashing kit and double wall chimney. I love it and have had no problems with the setup.

I've been using a springbar family camper for 12 seasons. There is no reason I won't get 12 more out of it. Made in USA. They now have them with factory installed stove jacks if you want to run a wood burner.

https://springbar.com/collections/a...gbar-hot-tent-packages?variant=30706826772557

I have a family camper as well.

The Made In The USA thing is a big deal for me, over the Kodiak.

It works well and has handled some interesting storms. Four of us this year in it on cots was still ok during the seemingly non stop rain we had on that trip.

My 12x14 wall tent barely fit 6 people last year on the last evening after my daughter killed her sheep. But we did it. That was 6 people, cots, wood stove and a table inside.

My family helped me set my winter camp yesterday for the next four mo nths of lion and predator hunting. It is a nice home away from home and will not come down until March or April.

This tent is a Yakima I think and is 20 plus years old.

I do need a different tarp for the front half, as I mis judged when I bought a new tarp last week, but it will work for the moment.

Attachments

• 20201030_134742.jpg
    20201030_134742.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
My 12x14 wall tent barely fit 6 people last year on the last evening after my daughter killed her sheep. But we did it. That was 6 people, cots, wood stove and a table inside.
Holy cow! You were obviously using bunk beds? That's a lot of peeps and gear for a 12x14.

Holy cow! You were obviously using bunk beds? That's a lot of peeps and gear for a 12x14.

No. That was 6 cots pretty tight side to side from the back to the door. It was our last night so we just needed to get through the night. But it fit. We broke down my in-laws camp the afternoon after my daughter killed her sheep to save time the next morning and the several hour drive home.

I regularly have two full size cots in there, when we go lion hunting. My daughter and I can be comfortable with that. 4 is tight. The 6 was sardines.

Another crappy weather weekend in the tipi of doom. It rained then snowed. Temps were around 20 degrees and I didn't use my woodstove this time. The tent was as tight as a snare drum to start but the ice was so heavy that I had to add extra guy outs and it still sagged. Definitely looking for something with some integral structure.

tipi after rain then snow.jpg

Anyone used one of these? Videos suggest that it goes from an 8 man to a 2 man really fast with cots and stove

Last edited:
Anyone used one of these? Videos suggest that it goes from an 8 man to a 2 man really fast with cots and stove

I almost went that route, but decided on a wall tent instead. It's only gonna be 6.5' in a small part of the center. The lesser bulk/weight would be nice, but it's an at the truck rig for me so that was less of an issue.

We haven't used this in really bad weather yet but, so far, it's working out pretty good.

Pros: very flexible usage, sleeps up to 8 (never going to happen), has on board utilities, it's pretty light (not for raft usage though), very mobile, puts up/down in 30 mins max, carries lots of shite.

Cons: need to be careful about getting into tight places, extreme cold might cause damage to the canvas/plastic, need to be careful using in high winds or heavy snow.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 25
Just returned from a trip w some foul weather (driving rain and gusts to 40mph followed by snow and lows in the teens)....so not as foul as what OP has seen!

We used Cabelas Big Horn III w stove. Actually held up well, enough room for 3 guys, table, stove to be comfortable.

The optional vestibule would have been a nice add -- might have to see if I can find one.

Tarp was added over top as the tent was a well-used estate sale buy and I had to do some seam sealing...actually stayed pretty dry. Floor liner acted a bit like a false floor....the little condensation we had and a few drips stayed along the edge and/or under the liner.

Weighs about 80 lbs and I can set it up by myself in about 20 minutes.

I wouldn't take it to Alaska or anything but it sure was nice for this hunt and I'd use it again.

20201106_073231.jpg

20201106_081310.jpg

Can't beat the ol wall tents in my opinion. They just have a certain nostalgia to them when it comes to late season or backcountry hunting on horses. If your looking for a lighter option obviously Cabela's Alaknak tents are sweet or tipis. The new stone glacier 6p tent looks unique as well. Good luck.

Got an email about this one being available yesterday. Price bout knocked me over. 😳 I love SG stuff but dang it better be good.

I'd really like to do a head to head comparison of the Montana Canvas Spike III 12x 12 and the Cabelas Alaknak 12x12. When I recently looked the Alaknak tent was not listed on Cabelas website. That worries me. my 11 year old (AlaknakII)tent and it's carry bag are getting a little worn and threadbare.

Part of me wonders if the additional Fly on the MCS3 alleviates some condensation. I suspect the Relite Material is the same as the Alaknak material. Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

For my style of hunting, I don't see a traditional wall tent adding any ease of setup or less weight to pack for the extra square footage. For packing on horses I gotta count pounds like backpackers count ounces. and I don't think the Tipi style hot tents give me standing room the previous options do.

Last edited:
The only real question is which wall tent do you buy. The feeling of a wall tent and a wood stove is unmatched by anything out there.
Agreed. Nothing touches a wall tent with a stove as you fall asleep. Gonna get me a stove for my luxe mini peak xl 3p before next season.

Well after a lot of thought I think I decided to get the Instinct 8 person AND now it's not currently being offered. It was the combination of weight, size, vestibule, and frame. All of the Cabela's Outfitter style tents are MIA from their website. I have a message into the customer service to see if they'll be replaced.

Of course I missed the screaming deal that Brockel posted yesterday. I'll keep shopping around especially now that all of my important tags are filled who knows maybe someone will get tired of a big tent and I'll have the funds to buy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back