Crappy weather tents (room to move)

One issue we had was our little stove would heat the tent really well and quickly....but keeping it going at night was tough.

So its like either try to fall asleep sweating bundled in sleeping bag, or plan to wake up cold and toss more wood in the stove.

Tips from y'all w more experience on how to keep tent / stove a bit more "even" through the night would be appreciated....

One issue we had was our little stove would heat the tent really well and quickly....but keeping it going at night was tough.

So its like either try to fall asleep sweating bundled in sleeping bag, or plan to wake up cold and toss more wood in the stove.

Tips from y'all w more experience on how to keep tent / stove a bit more "even" through the night would be appreciated....
you are not alone in this. it is an art to have kindling to fire up in the morning quickly after getting the chill off with the gas lantern.

Get a -35 bag that helps

As for stove it's almost an art seems like. My uncle and his friends are able to keep air flows almost to a tee in there but inevitably you'll have to get up and stoke it.

You need to just be able to plan your mid night piss with stokin the fire and you should be set.

Well after a lot of thought I think I decided to get the Instinct 8 person AND now it's not currently being offered. It was the combination of weight, size, vestibule, and frame. All of the Cabela's Outfitter style tents are MIA from their website. I have a message into the customer service to see if they'll be replaced.

Of course I missed the screaming deal that Brockel posted yesterday. I'll keep shopping around especially now that all of my important tags are filled who knows maybe someone will get tired of a big tent and I'll have the funds to buy it.
Wall tents always seem to come up on Craigslist this time of year. Some nice shit too, maybe just ask Santa 🎅 and his fatass will pop one down the chimney for ya.

What was the make and model of the tent Randy used on the mule deer hunt with Beau recently? Looked like a wall tent style/shape but material looked more like the silnylon used for light weight tents

Get a -35 bag that helps

As for stove it's almost an art seems like. My uncle and his friends are able to keep air flows almost to a tee in there but inevitably you'll have to get up and stoke it.

You need to just be able to plan your mid night piss with stokin the fire and you should be set.
Drink enough beer before you go to bed and you’ll have to wake up to stoke it. Problem solved.

Drink enough beer before you go to bed and you’ll have to wake up to stoke it. Problem solved.
Done that before.

On opening weekend I was able to keep the stove going overnight. I managed somehow to wake up every couple hours to fill the stove. Put the bed close enough that you don't really have to get up and you'll do ok. I burned a giant stack of wood to stay warm. Definitely getting a truck camping sleeping bag when I get the new tent.

Got a message from Cabela's seems they were having some QC issues and their tent line is temporarily out of stock until it can be resolved.

This year i heard a couple couple comments from a ol boy i met elk hunting.....

1. A man who cuts his own wood is warm twice.
2. Why do you get up to stoke the fire? Place your cot and bed roll so you can just do it without getting up......
3. Drink more beer so you piss more.

(I'm only in my 30s so if I had to get up more than once a night to piss I might have a problem.)

Life changed

Having used canvas for hunting and the rendezvous life, you generally will not complain about having too much tent, up until it gets too heavy to lift. That was what turned me to a hard side camper over a new wall tent - weight of canvas (and drying it after it is wet), and setup time. Used to set up my 16x20 in 45 minutes by myself, or 1-1/2 hours with help. That was 20 years ago. Now I drive in and am level and unhitched in minutes. Might have to drive or hike closer to the game than if I had a wall tent, but these old bones like the trailer. Do miss the wood stove...

What are you guys doing to dry out your big canvas tents? Burn the stove hot while still setup?

Say it snows or rains and it's likely going to stay cold for the foreseeable future.

What are you guys doing to dry out your big canvas tents? Burn the stove hot while still setup?

Say it snows or rains and it's likely going to stay cold for the foreseeable future.
The only thing I've found it hang it unless you get a weather break then i guess setup but draping it over a boat or utv works good

Need somewhere to hang it so it can dry. This can be challenging bb

Been looking at the Kodiak and the Spingbar. The Springbar isn't USA made near as I can tell. mtmuley

It's made at Kirkham in salt lake city. Bought mine at the store and went into the factory.

I believe they have a model that they do farm out to help with demand but most are made in slc

It's made at Kirkham in salt lake city. Bought mine at the store and went into the factory.

I believe they have a model that they do farm out to help with demand but most are made in slc
That is my understanding as well. Manufactured in SLC.

Have you considered the Cabelas geodesic tents? I ordered one and the few times I’ve used it seems to be what I will be using moving forward for truck camping. I use a buddy heater. I have the 6 person and can stand up in the tent. It seems to be somewhat a mirror image of the the new stone glacier tent minus the stove jack. For a lot less. I think they will be on sale on Black Friday for $249 which is a steal in my opinion. Enough room with cots and gear to move around in tent. Worth checking into.

What was the make and model of the tent Randy used on the mule deer hunt with Beau recently? Looked like a wall tent style/shape but material looked more like the silnylon used for light weight tents
Pretty sure it was a Seek Outside Courthouse. My hunting friends and I have been looking at this one as an option.

Have you considered the Cabelas geodesic tents? I ordered one and the few times I’ve used it seems to be what I will be using moving forward for truck camping. I use a buddy heater. I have the 6 person and can stand up in the tent. It seems to be somewhat a mirror image of the the new stone glacier tent minus the stove jack. For a lot less. I think they will be on sale on Black Friday for $249 which is a steal in my opinion. Enough room with cots and gear to move around in tent. Worth checking into.
This is what I have. love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back