Couple’s getaway ideas

Barceló Maya Palace
Mexico Barceló Maya Palace
Been there with Family, grand kids, and folks, a number of times.

I'm not sure of a shopping destination but we go to Aruba a bit and it's an amazing get away. All inclusive package, drinks and food. You'll come home a bit heavier than when you left. The water, fishing, weather and people are great. It's a good reset for my wife and I after a big job or a long run of working too much. Also it keeps her at bay when I'm spending Oct in the west somewhere.

Asheville, NC is a really nice place with plenty of food and shopping. My experience is the at the Inn at Biltmor. It's a wonderful estate with some short, scenic hiking trails about the estate.

Savannah, GA has an incredible food and cocktail scene. Very charming city perfect for a weekend like you describe.

My favorite "urban" getaway is San Antonio. The Riverwalk is A+, the food is top notch (table side guacamole at Boudro's), the Alamo, and am easy to traverse city.

Looking for a 4 day getaway with the wife. And I absolutely have no idea. We live in iowa so flying would probably be the easiest. I just dont Want to feel too guilty when I elk hunt in September. Something short and sweet. If I could find a place with lots of boutiques and shops in a beautiful landscape she would be happy and therefore I would be happy. As long as I can endure lol
Make a list of her top favorite kinds of little stores (does she like jewelry, pottery, clothing, decor, etc?) Then find three or four destinations that have those kinds of stores, and hint around if it's supposed to be a surprise, or ask her directly if this isn't a surprise, which destination she would favour. You'll get a lot more brownie points toward your elk hunt if the climate of the destination is what she enjoys, not so much if, say, she hates heat and you take her to Arizona or humidity messes with her hair and you go to the South or whatever.

+1 ask her. Some ideas from fellow Iowan

Door County Wisconsin is awesome in July or Aug. Been there many times. Easy drive from IA. 4 days just about perfect. Little beach time, shopping, wineries, orchards etc.

Quebec City was a good couples getaway for us. Short flights from IA, and it's as close to being in France as you can get without the transatlantic flight. French speaking (w plenty of English speakers too), French food, LOTS of boutiques shopping, history and culture etc. That's a 4 day trip likely to earn quality kitchen passes.

Good luck!

Traverse City is pretty close to what you're looking for. Lots of outdoor activities, plus tons of good restaurants & shops. CHerry Festival is July 1-8. Come early & check out Flo-Rida or come late and enjoy the comedy stylings of Jeff Foxworthy & Larry the Cable Guy. Or take a cruise in the Bay on the tall ship Manitou. Head west and discover the magic of 70 year olds in lycra riding bicycles everywhere in Leelanau County and the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and get a $14 Gelato in Empire. Glen Arbor is a fun little village on the lake that has some really lovely galleries as well as some fun food options, and you can rent a canoe or kayak and float down the Crystal River.

Last edited:
Take a trip to maine, tour the seaside towns, plenty of shopping/activities and and eat lobster till you pop. Do a sea kayak tour one day.
and 4 days is thin. give a trip with and for your wife more time.

We enjoy Thu-Sun road trips...2.5-8 hour destinations. Santa Fe, Taos, the Hill Country in Central TX, SE Oklahoma into Hot Springs or Eureka Springs...some scenic routes. Not a fan of flying but looks like that will be the smart method to Charleston (wife's short list).

First step - Cheap airfare. Find where you can go round trip for $200 per person. Depending on where your airport is it could be a hub for a smaller airline.
Second step - Direct flight. Don't waste time waiting for connections. Early morning, late evening flights give you the most time to actually enjoy yourself
Third step - within 2 hours of airport in a rental car. That's 100 mile radius give or take.

I'll second Santa Fe/Taos. Fly into Albuquerque. Drive through the Valle Vidal and Valle Caldera. See the Loretto Chapel. Lots of shops downtown.

Seattle WA - go to Leavenworth WA. A Bavarian Town in the Cascades. Little over 2 hours drive.

Reno Nv - Virginia City. old steam railroad and mining town with people dressing in period costume.

Back