Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Copper or Lead (Poll)

Lead or Copper

• Total voters
Got the 143 Hunters yesterday and loaded up 20 last night. Last 5 round group today in a 40 mph Wyoming breeze with RL16 was at .70”, 3060 fps. I like what I see so far. Sure doesn’t take much to work up an accurate load.

I answered "sometimes copper sometimes lead". I usually develop two loads for each of my hunting rifles, one lead, one non-lead. That way I'm covered.

I used a Barnes bullet on my cow elk last fall and it worked really well. I never found the bullet...until one day my wife was cutting into a shoulder roast (see pic). One of the things I really like about all copper is the lack of ruined meat. All that meat around the bullet was just fine, with no concern of fragments in my food.
Attach1.jpgIMG_20200327_153131913.jpg

Very interested in Hammer Bullets.
Similar to Barnes in the amount of jump they need?
Barnes on average 0.05 off the lands.

For rifle - I'm in the process of making the switch to copper but since I don't hand load yet, I'm a little restricted to options.

I did find that one of my 308's really likes Hornady Outfitter 165gr GMX though and I've ordered some for my other calibers as well as some barnes ttsx and nolser e-tips.

In my area, lead is still ok for upland game and I have a large supply to burn through before trying anything else. I don't hunt waterfowl so that makes the choice easy.

I have shot quite a few deer, red/fallow/roe since my switch to copper. 80 grain .243 3150 fps
This week I had my first runner.
Shot a red hind around 80 yards away, clipped the lungs, she ran from the field towards the road and stopped, sky lined, I watched and could hear her coughing, then she decided 'I'm off' turned and headed at speed back towards the forest (which I don't have access to!) I managed a free hand running shot and hit her in the neck, she cart wheeled over was killed instantly.
To be honest if I had used lead I think more damage would have been done and she would have died quicker, but I can't really blame the copper, I was off slightly.
20210126_082015.jpg
Cheers
Richard

I tried nosler e-tips in my -06 and couldn’t get them to shoot well enough. I’d like to go copper but do t want to give up accuracy.

I tried nosler e-tips in my -06 and couldn’t get them to shoot well enough. I’d like to go copper but do t want to give up accuracy.
Have you tried Hammers? IME they’re very easy to find accurate loads for. I bet you could get some impressive velocity results with these in your ‘06:

Have you tried Hammers? IME they’re very easy to find accurate loads for. I bet you could get some impressive velocity results with these in your ‘06:

I’ve not tried hammers but may be worth a try. Do they have load data recommendations??

What did you try and how did you try it. Most of us that have shot and loaded a bunch of copper could help.
I’d have to look back at my notes but I remember following noslers load data and powders and couldn’t get under 1.5” groups if I remember correctly.

their loads specify imr-4350 powder and I’m sure that’s what I tried.

definitely open to suggestions 🙂

I’ve not tried hammers but may be worth a try. Do they have load data recommendations??
Use cup and core data for the same bullet weight, then work up from there. Seat 0.025” off the lands UNLESS you are using the Absolute Hammer, then load to mag length.

I usually reference both Barnes and Nosler.

What @JLS said. Giving Steve at Hammer a call will be your best jumping off place. As has been said before, he’s really helpful. Also, there’s an ongoing thread on LRH that has some good data on it that will give you an idea of how the Absolute Hammers work and the kind of velocities guys are getting. I’ll pm you.

I’d have to look back at my notes but I remember following noslers load data and powders and couldn’t get under 1.5” groups if I remember correctly.

Sometimes a rifle just won't shoot said bullet no matter what you try. I haven't seen one report of a Hammer not giving acceptable accuracy. VG even had a finicky rifle settle in with Hammers. mtmuley

I had similar results with them as well. Sub MOA with Hammers.

Looks like a lot of Hammer bullet fans here. Guys that know hunting and ballistics. I don't handload. Are any of the commercial ammo manufacturers loading Hammers ?

Looks like a lot of Hammer bullet fans here. Guys that know hunting and ballistics. I don't handload. Are any of the commercial ammo manufacturers loading Hammers ?
Superior Ammo, Custom Cartridge Inc. Might be a couple others, I'll find out. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back