"Conservation license required to access most state lands" Montana, state lands permit.

D4570

OK if I'm reading this correctly We still have to buy a state lands recreation permit to target shoot, gopher hunt, and predator hunt, right?
Same as now, just more money?
Screenshot-2023-06-28-145311.jpg

I don't see where that is addressed.
To target shoot, and shoot NON-game animals require the rec tag now Or did depending on how it reads, as well as the state lands with your license, as well as just hiking or camping.

Still does not say recreational shooting or non-game shooting.
That reads the same as it did before, you needed the recreational state permit, the one on your conservation did not cover that. I'm guessing you never shot targets on State or Gophers without the "other one". I have an email into Helena asking to clarify which.

Still does not say recreational shooting or non-game shooting.
That reads the same as it did before, you needed the recreational state permit, the one on your conservation did not cover that. I'm guessing you never shot targets on State or Gophers without the "other one". I have an email into Helena asking to clarify which.
Is “access” not a broad enough term?

a. : permission, liberty, or ability to enter, approach, or pass to and from a place or to approach or communicate with a person or thing.

And yes, I do remember the old one and did buy them.

Per the last paragraph, sounds like everyone who doesn’t already have a hunting or fishing license needs to have the permit to access state lands for any reason now. Nonresidents as well.

I’m a-ok with this. Hunters and anglers shouldn’t be the only ones footing the bill to clean up latrines when they get trashed by the inner tube crowd at fishing access sites.

You used to need a state lands rec license to use state land for anything other than hunting, fishing, or trapping. If you bought a hunting, fishing or trapping license, you paid $2 to allow you to do those things on state land. Now, if you’re doing anything other than those things, you have to have a conservation license only, not the state lands rec license. Also, anyone on FWP-owned ground (Fishing Access Sites, Wildlife Management Areas) other than state parks, needs to have a conservation license. The non-hunting and fishing public have to pay to use those sites now where thay didn’t have to before. Once again, FWP messaging folks took a relatively simple outreach campaign on a topic and made it confusing.

Actually, I don’t see how it’s that confusing. View attachment 281819
Well, considering that a majority of Americans read and comprehend at about a 6th grade level, it's not surprising there is confusion.

Combine that with most people having a genuine knack for making easy chit difficult...it turns to pure chaos.

As a good friend of mine says, "If breathing wasn't involuntary, 3/4 of the people on planet earth would drop over dead".

This thread reminds me of a drink I ordered last weekend.

Waiter: what will you have to drink sir?
Me: whiskey sour with rye double short.
Waiter: perfect

2 minutes later
Waiter: So with a whiskey sour we are not sure what this is. It's it whiskey with a sour beer mixed in or.....
Me: No its rye whiskey mixed with a sour juice or mixer along with a dash of simple syrup or even maple syrup. Double short.
Waiter: ooh ok thanks for the clarification.
Me:WTF is up with this guy.

5 minutes later
Waiter: what do you use to make the sour mix.
Me: A lemon juice straight would do it.
Waiter: I'll check..... sorry we don't have that.
Me: fine a double rye and water short.
Waiter: ok

5 minutes later.
Waiter: here you go sir. Double tall whiskey straight no water.
Me: bring me the check please. Thanks

Point of the story is, it's all laid out clear as the day is long, you just aren't comprehending what the message is saying to you.

The only reason I brought it up was the fact they did not specifically state shooting, only.
Most people thought the state permit that was on your license in the past did NOT let you target shoot, or hunt gophers P dogs, or coyotes. "hunting" on state lands was only for and during a season and game animals. You could access the land but non of the above. The law enforcement people told me this many times.
Many of the field wardens did not know this.

If I'm not mistaken ... you need a State Lands Permit to "hunt, fish, and trap" on State lands AND you need another State Lands Permit to "Recreate" on State lands. So, basically the State Land permit included in your Sportsmans License only allows you to access State Lands to Hunt, Fish, and Trap. I only know this because there is a section of State Land just north of Billings that a lot of residents walk and bike on and there is a big sign reminding folks that a State Land License/Permit is required to use the State Land. This "State Land Recreation License/Permit" is different from the one issued with your hunting Sportsmans License. It's just another way the State Government collects more money for their coffers.

It's like you need a Bow and Arrow License to archery hunt ... why not a Rifle License to rifle hunt. Or eliminate the Bow and Arrow License and incorporate a Rifle License and call it a "Hunting License". It's BS ... just another "tax". Why just bowhunters?

If I'm not mistaken ... you need a State Lands Permit to "hunt, fish, and trap" on State lands AND you need another State Lands Permit to "Recreate" on State lands. So, basically the State Land permit included in your Sportsmans License only allows you to access State Lands to Hunt, Fish, and Trap. I only know this because there is a section of State Land just north of Billings that a lot of residents walk and bike on and there is a big sign reminding folks that a State Land License/Permit is required to use the State Land. This "State Land Recreation License/Permit" is different from the one issued with your hunting Sportsmans License. It's just another way the State Government collects more money for their coffers.

It's like you need a Bow and Arrow License to archery hunt ... why not a Rifle License to rifle hunt. Or eliminate the Bow and Arrow License and incorporate a Rifle License and call it a "Hunting License". It's BS ... just another "tax". Why just bowhunters?

No.

The Conservation License covers everything. That's why people w/o hunting & Fishing licenses are being required to purchase the conservation license. Here's a link to the bill as signed by Gov. Gianforte: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2023/billpdf/HB0520.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back