Colorado Pounded by Snow Prior to 3rd Rifle Season

noharleyyet

October 29, 2009.

Colorado is being pounded by snow in the days leading up to the opening of the 3rd Rifle season for deer and elk. If you want tracking snow for your 3rd season hunt ... you've got plenty, assuming you can get in to the mountains.

There's about 3 feet at my home in the foothills above Denver, and I've already seen trucks full of hunters struggling on the roads up in to the higher mountains.

Many areas are getting about 2 feet of snow, with travel being considered "very hazardous or impossible" by the National Weather Service. Major highways have been closed sporadically.

The snowfall has varied widely by location, however. The Front Range has been pounded, while some mountain areas are reporting modest snow.

The weather is supposed to clear and start the melting process on opening day. Should be a little messy.

Check http://www.weather.com/weather/newscenter/alerts/nswxcategory/CO for winter storm advisories for your hunting area.

We are in a hole here. Just a skiff and partly sunny skies. Crazy stuff.

When the Front Range gets nailed the mountains almost never do. The moisture has to come from the south along the front range for them to get nailed. Other wise they are in our rain shadow.

I hear that the snow in san juan mountains will help the hunt in 2b. So..... do you guys know if they are getting any snow. My fingers are crossed and I'm envisioning 200" bucks behind every tree. :)

The last time we were there (2005) Colorado had no snow.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back