Colorado Leftover List

If a guy is just looking to go hunting, there is a lot of oportunity in Colorado. I have purchased several cow elk permits over the years that were left-overs and had great hunts.

If a guy is just looking to go hunting, there is a lot of oportunity in Colorado. I have purchased several cow elk permits over the years that were left-overs and had great hunts.

There's just about always a good amount of leftover elk tags, alnog with the OTC tags available. We have a much bigger elk herd than deer herd. Hell, where I'll be hunting elk still has like 500 leftover cow tags.

Deer tags got slashed state wide. Where I'll be hunting elk this year, deer tags got cut by 200.

Seriously! It wasnt all that long ago you could buy a really good tag the day before the season opened and now I need a point or two to draw those same area's

Where I used to hunt deer in unit 70...3 years ago I bought my buck tag at wal mart the day before the season for a 3rd season tag. Now it takes like 2 points. My buddy out there has access to some private land we would pick up PLO doe tags and there would be between 70 and 100 left the day before the season, now there are no leftovers and very few of them given out. So, I don't go out there to hunt anymore, except for archery elk every few years.

There's just about always a good amount of leftover elk tags, alnog with the OTC tags available. We have a much bigger elk herd than deer herd. Hell, where I'll be hunting elk still has like 500 leftover cow tags.
Would you believe our deer herd is actually a whole lot bigger than our elk herd? It's just that hunters are much better at killing deer than elk, so tags have to be more limited.

It's killing me!!! I mean, I'm all for out of state hunters and I realize what they do for Colorado. I have already bitched about it to Oak, but I wish they'd change the draw process. According to CPW, 65% of tags go to residents while 35% to nonresidents (in your normal unit- right?) I say, draw first choice: residents up to 65% and nonresidents up to 35%. If there aren't 65% residents drawing 1st choice, then residents should be given the opportunity to draw that tag as a second choice (up to 65% of course).

For example, in a unit there are 200 tags. If 50 residents apply for the unit first choice, and there are 150 nonresidents applying first choice, that is how the tags will be allocated (as the system is now). I wish they would draw the 1st choice for non-residents up to 35%, allowing residents an opportunity to draw a second choice tag. Then, give the nonresidents full access to those tags.

It might seem a little selfish- but I would like to have a little more access drawing a tag in a state I live in. And I'll be honest, I don't want to burn my points for a unit like this. I still think nonresidents would fair very well.

I just wish we'd copy Montana's system :hump:

To be able to just go and buy a deer tag (like we use too) and have more than a week to hunt. And an amazing hunter access program as well

Unfortunately for Colorado OTC Elk tags for everyone means no private land access thanks to leasing, short seasons for crowd control, and currently the CPW is trying to take more tags out of the draw to give to landowners to sell to the highest bidder :(

It's killing me!!! I mean, I'm all for out of state hunters and I realize what they do for Colorado.

It might seem a little selfish- but I would like to have a little more access drawing a tag in a state I live in. And I'll be honest, I don't want to burn my points for a unit like this. I still think nonresidents would fair very well.

Someone's got their panties all in a wad...:eek:

CPW would rather have their money than your satisfaction.. its all about revenue!

Someone's got their panties all in a wad...:eek:

CPW would rather have their money than your satisfaction.. its all about revenue!

You should charge those deadbeat NR's 10x the going rate for tags.

Oh....wait...nevermind.

You should charge those deadbeat NR's 10x the going rate for tags.

Approx going rates for non-resident elk with appropriate hunting licenses...
Colo- 590
Utah- 860
new mex-845
ariz- 640
nev- 1360
cali- 1390
ore- 640
wash- 500
ida- 570
mont- 800
wyo- 590

Oh....wait...nevermind.
....:W:

If you're refering to the cost of resident vs non resident lets take a look...
Texas
res hunting-25
non res hunting-315
10X
Arkansas
res hunting- 25
non res hunting-300
10X
Iowa
res deer- 28
non res deer- 298
10X
Kansas
res deer-32
non res deer-322
10X
:eek:.....;)

Sneakem i pay a 1/8 cent sales tax on every purchase in my state, payed directly to the ARGF. I think a more honest number would be the percentage of each states G and F budget funded by residents as compared to non residents.Also you might want to consider what you receive for the price paid. In Ark its 6 deer tags, 2 spring turkey tags,1 fall bear, 1 fall turkey, small game including upland birds,and for the price of a duck stamp some of the finest water fowl hunting in the world.

Whoa, whoa... Nobody called nonresidents deadbeats. Come in, pay your money, follow the rules, and you're all welcome here (just like residents should do). I'm just saying that residents should have an opportunity to draw 2nd choice after the initial 35% NR quota is filled- and I bet it doesn't change the elk draw much (but it will have an effect on deer).

nhy- Move to Colorado. And find me thousands of acres of public land in Texas I can hunt every year. With a good population of deer so I don't pay additional trespass fees to get on a property- which would probably put me WAY over $590.

Spook- I don't care what anyone spends on what... I'd like to get a second choice tag.

And, in case you are wondering, it will never happen.

Outdooraddict,
If you feel strongly about it, propose it during the next five year season structure development. I believe that process will begin this fall. It's a simple proposal: the 65-80% resident allocation is not available to non-residents until the leftover draw (or OTC leftover sale, whichever you prefer). You never know what could happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back