Colorado elk costs rise

Man, you’re starting to sound like one of those entitled trust fund kids that drives his nice red truck around a ski town during the winter and then bails when the snow melts. All to come back for another trip or two per year to enjoy this horrible state. It’s a real shame those R’s don’t do anything for the resource year round! 😉

You should see if you can be a winter camp host.

I think this move was made in hopes it would soften demand as wolves are introduced so as to slow the decimation of the population over the coming years.
NR cow prices were reduced in the early 2000's (to $250) to increase sales of undersold licenses while the elk population was near an all-time high. Here's a quote from the big game license summary that went to the Commission prior to the May meeting last year:

"Continuing with an 18-year trend, antlerless elk license recommendations are reduced from last year by 1,300 (-2%) to 64,500. The statewide total for antlerless elk licenses is now less than half of what it was at its peak in 2004 of 132,500."

Supply is down, price is up.

For those hunting in Colorado, the price of Elk licenses have risen across the board. Bull Tags have risen by $60 to $760.99 and Cow tags are now the same price. That is a $234 increase for cow tags. I thought this was a misprint, but after speaking with a Colorado outfitter, this is a correct price. BTW...either sex is also $760.

I remember a time when they raised the cow tags a lot and they lost out as the NR said screw it. then they dropped back to 250 the next year. Makes me wonder if this will happen again. I don't get excited about shooting a cow other than for meat, so when the price per pound gets to be getting close or over beef or pork, plus the work involved I have to say "no thanks" But that's just me.

Let's get mad as hell and stop the I see other state sticking it more to the NR so let's copy with our game department and no one buy a cow elk tag from Colorado this year.

NR cow prices were reduced in the early 2000's (to $250) to increase sales of undersold licenses while the elk population was near an all-time high. Here's a quote from the big game license summary that went to the Commission prior to the May meeting last year:

"Continuing with an 18-year trend, antlerless elk license recommendations are reduced from last year by 1,300 (-2%) to 64,500. The statewide total for antlerless elk licenses is now less than half of what it was at its peak in 2004 of 132,500."

Supply is down, price is up.
Thanks for the background. Seems like the price increase was overdue. I still think an additional benefit is to hopefully reduce demand even more (as evidenced by comments on this thread) to preserve the current numbers to brace for wolf introduction. I know that isn’t the official reason, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a tangential benefit.

Just noticed the res cost of a sheep tag is up to $346. Gonna have trouble convincing the wife that a ewe tag is worth 8 times more than a deer tag, especially since I've actually had some success with deer unlike other big game species I've tried for....

Think you should just change your username to "pot stirer" ( pun intended?) Look man if you don't like the price Increase go to Montana to Idaho or Wyoming. Either way if you're coming from any other state you've gotta pay more money. You don't live in CO, least from what I can see, and you don't pay state taxes to CO.

By all means, come out and hunt CO. Just quit complaining of the cost. If you don't like it stop coming out to hunt CO. Figure out something else to complain about.
CD310C8D-553B-4623-8CEB-58B1E8AFAFFB.jpeg

Think you should just change your username to "pot stirer" ( pun intended?) Look man if you don't like the price Increase go to Montana to Idaho or Wyoming. Either way if you're coming from any other state you've gotta pay more money. You don't live in CO, least from what I can see, and you don't pay state taxes to CO.

By all means, come out and hunt CO. Just quit complaining of the cost. If you don't like it stop coming out to hunt CO. Figure out something else to complain about.
How much of state tax do you pay that goes to the F&G? Just curious

That’s his middle name! He just doesn’t like to put it in his username because then he wouldn’t be as effective at stirring the pot. It’s a lot more effective when people don’t know if you’re being serious or not.

Want to talk about point creep. Lots of people with 0 or 1 point were putting in for cow tags to go along with otc bull tags. I know 0 people who are going to be doing that now.

That’s his middle name! He just doesn’t like to put it in his username because then he wouldn’t be as effective at stirring the pot. It’s a lot more effective when people don’t know if you’re being serious or not.
If I’m using xzibit lyrics like “put your nuts in the table and play the game”, I’m usually joking.
But seriously, the way which side of the line you can live on effects the cost of hunting licenses is really weird.
And it’s such an astronomical difference.
It’s weird that I can get an either sex archery tag for like $50 in Il and it cost a non res like $400 I think.
I’m glad I live in a state that has pretty good whitetail hunting.
I might really be upset about it if I lived in a state that didn’t have that type of opportunity tho.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back