Colorado elk costs rise

There's no reason fawn and doe tags should cost less than a pair of jeans for either residents or non residents anymore
The cost of hunting permits should not be based on the maximum amount you can get for them. If you want that, I'll gladly send you a certain Utah wildlife group your way. I would be happy to be rid of them. Permits should be reasonably priced and cost just enough to pay for management. Wildlife is not supposed to be a money maker for the government because they will waste the excess just like everything else they touch.

I don't think residents liking an increase under any circumstance is the consensus.
true, someone is always going to complain. But if CPW digs in and says that revenue drives change - which they can't say, but lets posture that they do - and offers us more expensive tags for a 90/10 split, I think you'd find that price easier to swallow. That said, I am not in favor of managing for revenue and think CPW needs to get their priorities straight.

Price increases are one of the reasons I haven't made it out west to hunt elk yet and having 3 kids under the age of 8. I understand they make their money from non residents but its really frustrating to have to think about not only the trip out west which takes over 30 hours but also the price of the tag to go along with it. I wish I would have been around in the early 1900s or late 1800s and been able to hunt any where you could see in the landscape. Now you have to take a loan not only for the house and truck but also for the chance to hunt an animal. Not to mention the prices of equipment as well. I don't by any means attempt to buy the most expensive equipment and gear but I need something that won't break loading up my pack and going for a hike either.

Get real.

You'll be able to fill the Rio Grande with tears when residents have to pay (even half) of what NR's pay. lol
The math is much easier than that for residents as it currently stands. There are several threads on HT where the math has been done and we don't need to pay $350 for an elk tag to help make up the cost. Nor should any resident have to pay that much for deer and elk.

The math is much easier than that for residents as it currently stands. There are several threads on HT where the math has been done and we don't need to pay $350 for an elk tag to help make up the cost. Nor should any resident have to pay that much for deer and elk.
You guys must be using that "new math" I heard about in college...or the same math that the CPW uses. lol

Last edited:
As Charlie Berens says... go packers and _____ the bears

New Mexico is looking to raise rates for the first time since 2006, it looks really geared to hit the NR's the most. NR deer and elk are going up by at least $100-$200

Bill is linked here if there's any interest, shows the current/proposed R and NR prices
I only skimmed it but I feel like those changes are relatively justifiable. I would pay the new antelope fee over the old one for a repeat of the same hunt I had a few years ago, in a heartbeat.

I'm not going to go to the trouble of digging up exact numbers from every state but isn't CO still the cheapest NR bull elk tag in the west or real close to it? I put in pretty much everywhere and I don't recall any other bull tag being less than $800 once you add all the necessary licenses and fees... seems odd to be complaining about something that is still the best bargain on the market...
FWIW I would pay full NR cost if that was what it took to get CO to drop OTC and actually do mandatory harvest surveys and actively manage elk as a game animal and not a cash cow...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back