College costs

Out of state college costs for kids, how much will out of pocket realistically be?

• <10,000/yr

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 10,000/yr

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 15,000/yr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20,000/yr

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 25,000/yr

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • 30,000/yr

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 35,000/yr

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 40,000/yr

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • 45,000/yr

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • more than 45,000/yr

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, this is where kids need to be careful. Incurring 60k-90k in student debt for the college experience, when you’ll be making peanuts is not good financial sense.
100%, major issues with the current system.
Colleges have turned into resorts and student loans are out of hand, that money valve needs to be shut off.

Dealing with the debt it's absolutely brutal, my wife and I moved in together because she couldn't afford her loans + rent so she was at her parents. So we got a place together I paid for everything and she paid her loans. Then she went back to school and I covered the loans + all expenses when she was in school. We got married and she went to med school, got a good scholarship and we paid her remaining tuition as we went, along with the loan payments from undergrad. Her loans will be paid off by the time she finishes residency. All in we are at about 273K for her education.

At times it was scary as shit and totally overwhelming, in hindsight it taught us to be very disciplined. I think certainly we have been more deliberate and focused when it comes to career choices, and it made me value and appreciate the gift my parents gave me.

One is going on a sheep hunt, one is providing an unfair advantage in life to your offspring
What part is unfair?
I think some of this argument has gone off the rails. There is no "right" answer and plenty of examples to confirm or refute both approaches. For some. paying for your kids college is a choice. It is great to have that choice. For others, they need to take advantage of the many resources offered to pay their own way. Life ain't fair.

I'm paying for my kids, that's the social contract in my family, you pass it along.
I would highly discourage you make that a social contract. Kids should not be born if your going to pressure them to keep a financial contract in the sake of tradition. That’s a great way to set up suffering, fights between spouses, and suicides.

If they voluntarily want to paythat’s fine, more power to them when they are adults. The way you promoted it in your post is not.

What part is unfair?
I think some of this argument has gone off the rails. There is no "right" answer and plenty of examples to confirm or refute both approaches. For some. paying for your kids college is a choice. It is great to have that choice. For others, they need to take advantage of the many resources offered to pay their own way. Life ain't fair.
I’m just playing the devils ass.
I’m glad the eldenwllms helped master wllm pay for school because at the end of the day it gave us the sweetest boy.

I'm trying to connect this thread to hunting and conservation. So far, nothing comes to mind.

I agree with a prior post, it is getting close to a Facebook-style discussion.

Go Hunting, folks. Nothing useful has been accomplished with this thread.

This thread had gone off the rails and is now locked.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 1.51.50 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back