Yeti GOBOX Collection

College costs

Out of state college costs for kids, how much will out of pocket realistically be?

• <10,000/yr

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 10,000/yr

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 15,000/yr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20,000/yr

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 25,000/yr

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • 30,000/yr

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 35,000/yr

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 40,000/yr

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • 45,000/yr

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • more than 45,000/yr

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s about $12k now. Around $20k with room and board.

In State Montana Resident Sticker Price​

$21,668
FeeCost
Tuition$5,352
Books and Supplies$1,100
Other Fees$2,002
Room and Board$9,966
Other Expenses Budget$3,248

Like I said about 6-6.5K a year if you live at home....and that's doable without loans, easy.

Argue away....

No, not really feasible to work your way through a decent college these days. Tuition has increased way past inflation.
Not true. My oldest did two years at a community college, then transferred to a state four year college that is rated decent or above, and finished her BS degree with almost $10k in the bank. She chose to commute to class and live at home, and worked 20-25 hours a week while doing so.

Not true. My oldest did two years at a community college, then transferred to a state four year college that is rated decent or above, and finished her BS degree with almost $10k in the bank. She chose to commute to class and live at home, and worked 20-25 hours a week while doing so.
And that is not the college experience, but does save money. Also, if we limit college to commuting distance from parents house, it greatly limits options for many college students. It’s great it worked for her, but that isn’t a blue print for the vast majority of college students.

And that is not the college experience, but does save money. Also, if we limit college to commuting distance from parents house, it greatly limits options for many college students. It’s great it worked for her, that IS a blue print for the vast majority of college students.
Fixed it for you. Most of the population lives within a hour of a city with a community college. People who live Rural are the exception not the rule. Just look at voting data concentrations.

And that is not the college experience, but does save money.
Bingo. A couple of generations ago someone sold American families on the purported value of “the college experience.” I think a lot of us are waking up to the realization that we got a pig in a poke. “The college experience” I want for my kids is not dorm living, pick the school with the best-looking campus and amenities, socialize with peers, etc., but rather a lesson in value, hard work, budgeting, and strategic career-building. To each their own.

$21,668
FeeCost
Tuition$5,352
Books and Supplies$1,100
Other Fees$2,002
Room and Board$9,966

Like I said about 6-6.5K a year if you live at home....and that's doable without loans, easy.

Argue away....
Hence why we moved to Montana for 3 years. Out of state was cheaper than in-state at home. Montana is a tuition anomaly, good school that’s super cheap. You can’t use that nation wide.

$21,668
FeeCost
Tuition$5,352
Books and Supplies$1,100
Other Fees$2,002
Room and Board$9,966

Argue away....
My daughter is a senior this year, so we’ve been checking costs everywhere in state. This is from UM’s website. You are close on the tuition. It’s not feasible for her to live at home, so it would cost her over $20k per year. MSU is a couple grand more.

F1EC6C35-D5EF-4DA7-9E53-4C24CCA9BE48.png

So UM is $7400 tuition and $1100 books -$8500
So kids would have to put away $500 a week during summer to cover.

If you live close enough to commute. It’s the room and board that gets you. Plus you have to eat if you aren’t on the meal plan.

Or you could work more, get some job experience and go 1 semester a year. Lots of ways to still make it happen without having your parents refinance their house, rob from retirement, or force them to work another 10 years.

At current costs, paying for the college experience is idiotic IMO. I told my kids if they want that, work and play but don’t piss away tuition simply for going to college. Unfortunately, kids need to have some focus when they head to school or else they will rack up a lot of debt. That’s not fiscally prudent or wise.

Well, to all you curmudgeons out there, I'll raise my glass (coffee) to my parents to whom I owe the world for assisting my "college experience." I enjoyed the F' out of it, and will dang sure will never forget it. Hard to find a life partner when you're working every waking minute you're not in class, or you can't give your projects your entire focus because you had to pick up a second shift to cover costs.

Interesting how college is being treated different than hunting. That whole hunt now because you'll run out of time before you run our of money... Is there no reason to also have fun in college? Is it not possible to enjoy the hell out of something while also setting yourself up for the future?

Well, to all you curmudgeons out there, I'll raise my glass (coffee) to my parents to whom I owe the world for assisting my "college experience." I enjoyed the F' out of it, and will dang sure will never forget it. Hard to find a life partner when you're working every waking minute you're not in class, or you can't give your projects your entire focus because you had to pick up a second shift to cover costs.

Interesting how college is being treated different than hunting. That whole hunt now because you'll run out of time before you run our of money... Is there no reason to also have fun in college? Is it not possible to enjoy the hell out of something while also setting yourself up for the future?
It’s easy to enjoy when your not the one funding it. Pretty sure the one funding is not having a enjoyable time.

It’s easy to enjoy when your not the one funding it. Pretty sure the one funding is not having a enjoyable time.
Absolutely not true in this case. No one forced them to do anything they didn't want to do. In this case, they've commented numerous times, on how much they enjoyed following along on my track career through college. Had they not assisted in the payment of said college I would have probably gone CC and ditched sports. But it's pretty cool to own the title All-American.

So what, look at the alternatives, my parents could have saved that money and I could have inherited it 60 years later or they could have paid for college... hmmm tough choice.

Or you could work more, get some job experience and go 1 semester a year. Lots of ways to still make it happen without having your parents refinance their house, rob from retirement, or force them to work another 10 years.

The mantra that get a college education because it guarantees success is no longer true. And it hasn’t been for the last 30 years.
Nor is it a realistic option to work summers to pay for tuition, that hasn’t been the case for 30 years.

People have a very tough time accepting that what was done in their day may not even be possible in two generations later.

Robbing retirement, parents refinancing homes, government subsidizing education, ignore the underlying problems of higher education.

For me and my kids, the thought of telling them "you are 100% on your own for college costs, get a damn job or incur debt if you want to go", is just as stupid as saying "I got this covered you just enjoy yourself while I dole out money". A little from A and little from B. Summer should be spent working and saving money, scholarships will be pursued and sound major choices are in order. If they want to study Russian Literature, not sure how much I am willing to contribute. If they want to study engineering, law, med, I'm willing to be more generous.

Its possible to work your way through college and still find time to get school work done and have some fun. IMO their time in college should include all of these. As far as finding a "life partner" while going to school. You and I had very different goals. My father told me when I left home for school, dont get too involved with any one girl while in school, get slightly involved with as many as possible. Sound advice.

Good points, and I think the key is finding balance. I have told our kids it’s okay to come out with a little bit of debt if you want to play more and work less. BUUUT, taking out $10-15k a year in loans is stupid for an undergrad degree.

I had a lot of fun as an undergrad, but I had way more fun as a self sufficient grad student where my wife and I were both making money.

My kids see me hunt a lot. They also see me work my ass off in order to make it financially feasible. The college experience is no different.

Montana State U is trying to educate students on lowering the amount of debt. The main thing you can do is take a full load and get out in 4 years.

Bozeman's housing costs are a tragedy for resident students. You used to be able to live cheap in a sh*thole, but even those are filled up. Something needs to be done or residents won't be able to afford higher education which will have huge implications. I guess there is always Havre and Butte...

To help pay for college my girlfriend canned salmon in Alaska in the summer and worked part time during the school year.

rg

As far as finding a "life partner" while going to school. You and I had very different goals. My father told me when I left home for school, dont get too involved with any one girl while in school, get slightly involved with as many as possible. Sound advice.
Oh, I was tracking what your Dad was laying down, that is until my best friend who'd graduated a couple years before me came back to visit and warned, "you better find somebody here, 'cause the pickin's get a lot worse once you leave..." So I shifted gears my senior year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back