Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

COAL conundrum

brokfut

I have been loading up some 140 Accubonds and Ballistic tips for my 280 Remington. I have to load them pretty short to get them to fit in the magazine box. I am measuring 0.1348 off the lands. That seems to me to be a pretty long jump. 140 and 150 Partitions are loading .035 off which doesn't seem unreasonable.
Just how important is that sharp pointy tip on the AB and BT? Seems to me that flatting those tips would give me length I need and still provide expansion. A little loss of BC maybe.
Maybe they will shoot just fine and group tight. Who knows? Any useful opinions welcome.

What model rifle? Im not an expert reloader but that seems awfully short to just fit into the mag. I have read several times of guys that seat accubonds at .100 or more.

It is an FN Mauser. Loading manuals all (the 5 I have) say that the OAL for 280 Remington is 3.330 and I have to load to 3.297 to fit the mag. With AB or BT loaded to the AOL I'd still be a long way from the lands in this rifle.

Brokfut,
Your measurements that your giving are only 0.033" difference. Not 0.1348".

Sounds like you may have an intermediate length action. The large ring i just bought measures 3.330" mag.
My commercial Mauser is longer.

Load em, and try em. As MtMuley says, sometimes they like a jump.

Ballistic Tips, i've found very forgiving. For some reason the regular Accubonds are really finicky!

Sometimes I think about getting in to reloading... then I read threads like this and I say fu*k that. I’ll just pay more for premium factory stuff. I would imagine patience is a priority.

Sometimes I think about getting in to reloading... then I read threads like this and I say fu*k that. I’ll just pay more for premium factory stuff. I would imagine patience is a priority.

Reloading is not difficult. If I can do it about anyone can.

The issues usually come from either overthinking things, or not thinking.
Usually the first.

The issues usually come from either overthinking things, or not thinking.
Usually the first.

Now that is the plain truth! Guy on another site is worked up about a new bullet from Hornady, the A-Max I think he called it. It doesn't sound like any more than the V-Max but they put an aluminum tip on it instead of plastic. Seem's the biggest change is the price, I think he said something like $85 a box. He's not real happy about that!

Load them and shoot them. Sometimes jump don't matter. mtmuley

This for one. Also if your best groups are with ammo too long to fit in the mag then what's wrong with going with one in the chamber and none in the mag? Unless you're one of those folks who doesn't hunt with a round in the chamber.

This for one. Also if your best groups are with ammo too long to fit in the mag then what's wrong with going with one in the chamber and none in the mag? Unless you're one of those folks who doesn't hunt with a round in the chamber.

I’ve always loaded to fit the mag box.

Most hunting bullets are pretty tolerant of jump. Most hunting bullets and hunting guns are not capable of the accuracy level that would make seating depth tuning of a finicky bullet visible on target anyway. Sometimes you find an exception.

Reloaded as a kid. I shoot so little now that I buy my ammo off the shelf and have good results on paper out to 400 yards and out to 300 yards in the field. Reloading was Zen-like for me so miss that part but now the time and room needed are not a good fit for me. I guess using a muzzleloader is as close as I get to reloading.

Made it to the range yesterday with several batches of new ammo loaded up. The length is not going to be a problem. The hottest batch loaded at Nosler's max of 57 grains of RL 19 with the 140 BT shot .725 group. It impacted 3.5 inches high at 100 yards but was a tight group compared to the rest of the bunch.
The same case, primer, powder loaded with 140 partitions were shooting 2.5 inch groups. Gonna change powder and try again.
I have a load with 150 Partitions I loaded for elk way back when that shoot really well so may stick with that and not worry about the 140 PT's.

Back