CO Unit 2 Archery Elk

So I hit a bull on the afternoon of he 21st. That leaves 5 hunting days remaining.

The 22nd was spent trying to track down the bull I hit to no avail. First thing in the morning I had the close encounters with the muddy bull I posted previously and the smaller bull at the waterhole just trying to get on 'my' bull's tracks.

Late in the afternoon and many miles logged simply trying to find and maybe jump the bull I hit yielded a ton of encounters with bulls. In one drainage, I literally got in bow range of 5 bugling bulls, one at a time, in a few hours. I would drop in on one, see that he was not 'my' bull or a shooter and then move up the ridge and drop down on the next bull that was screaming his head off. A few had cows and a couple did not.

It was simply the most extraordinary afternoon of elk hunting. I seemed to be invisible, sound- and scent-less. I saw 15-17 bulls that day with more than half within 50 yards.

On the 24th, I hunted the far SW corner of the unit hiking into a wilderness study area. Of course I found nothing but a raghorn down there but ended up barely hearing bugles way to the north, ended up logging 8+ miles and seeing sunset from a 2 track road and right on top of 3 great bulls I could have driven to. That was the afternoon I almost shot the biggest bull I would have a chance at (350+). I was not keen to hike even further from the truck but spotted a magnificent 5 point (yes a fiver) and decided I needed to see him up close (and maybe for the rest of my days). But before that I wanted to stalk in on a great sounding growling bull that was right on the way. First I stalked in to his occasional growls and got into maybe 100-150 yards and let out a tough sounding scream/bugle. That had him coming right in. Problem was he had 2 cows and they were leading the way. The cows passed by me at 20 feet and then winded or saw me (not sure since I crawled into myself and was saying my "I am a harmless bunny wabbit, no danger here mantra" I seem to think about in order to put out non predatory vibes when animals get way too close. I dunno what that is supposed to accomplish, jst telling it like it played out. Of course they know something ain't right and stutter step--knocking rocks around but staying close. This caused the big-ass bull I had finally seen and had drawn on to also stutter step briefly and away from the gap he was already entering and that I had ranged at 23-28 yards. The cows stayed on my side of the small/steep ravine so I cow called him and drew again as he hit 35 yards spot in partial cover and was coming. I ended up having to let down as he held up while using his apparently superior intellect to sort out how smart he was to be coming right in where the cows got jumpy. Letting down even when he was heavily ( I thought) screened from view seemed to bust him out and I lost that opportunity as he wandered up basin toward where the big 5 had headed a couple hours earlier.

I waited a bit, and heard the cows rejoin him up valley. Then I dogged them another mile, finally catching up to him and another 5-6 bulls bugling and a number of cows(at least twenty as it turns out). The big 5 had picked up some cows since I last saw him and was 150 yards out. A really cool and big bull that never grew thirds was 100 or so yards out. The big-ass perfect 6 point was 80 yards away, and another good 6 (that I posted the video of and that Oak said "I hope you woulda shot given a chance" was over near the big 5. All the cows I could see, along with 2 spikes, in this sparse PJ cover were well past my #1 bull that, again was at 80 yards. I was closing with a couple big Pinons giving me cover that could get me to 35-45 yards....

Then I hear what sounds like voices. Shaking that I off I keep moving and then hear these voices again. I look up ahead of me and to my right (the elk are dire4ctly ahead and aheads to the left of me) and there are two guys with blaze orange strapped on backpacking backpacks walking in the open and soon to be spotted by all these elk.. SHI%$%%#@$^!T!!! I whistle, and whistle again, and then hustle toward them a few steps and whistle once more flagging them and get their attention. I motion for them to STOP and get down. They come at me talking loudly. I do not hear their words as much as I hear crashing elk running for their life toward the monument. "Crud" and a few other words that roll easily off the tongue. End of stalk but the beginning of the nice video I have posted previously and the ones I am posting right now....

The really big 6 was with this large 5-point..Somebody tell me this 5-pt bull is not pushing 330+-inches and doing it the hard way...

Still photo from video camera
IMG_0906.png

Another still photo

IMG_0905.png

Video of the big 5 pt bull...Just really dig this bull.

I already posted the video of the smaller of the 2 6-point bulls. I did not get video of the really big bull. The elk restarted their rutting routine 1/3 mile away in a spot I could not get back on them that day so I was relegated to stewing (a good bit I admit) and getting pictures/video.

Here is a picture of one of the backpackers midmorning the next day. They were kind enough to drop back and camp while I tried to salvage my stalk but sure did not clear out 'by daylight' the next morning as promised. This man has white legs or what. Also said "I guess you would not likely shoot me" wiht a bow, to which I actually said "Ever heard of a sound shot?" and explained what that was.

Backpacker.jpg

Last edited:
September 25, 2 days remaining in the hunt.

After yesterday's fiasco with the backpackers barging right through a final stalk on a whopper, I decided I would try that area again to see if I could get back on these bulls. About a mile before I got right to where the sun went down on me and the elk, I had all manner of bugling going on so dinked around till 9:30 or so trying to get a look at all the bulls. I did not see any of the "big 3" bulls so moved over toward where they were the night before. I run into the backpackers as the are now, finally, continuing their trip that will take them into the monument and out of my way.

I ask one of them if they had been hearing or seeing much and he said no. They had not hiked more than 500 yards and I see a couple small bulls and 6 cows bust out ahead of them. I sit and pull out the big glass while snacking and waiting for the midmorning lull to turn into the mid-day action I have been accustomed to seeing and hearing most every day. Sure enough I start to hear a few bugles about 11:30 and actually spot a brushed up bull in the shade but can not tell what size. End up losing sight of him and can not re-find him. Then I hear a bugle across a broad (1/2 mile) saddle in the PJ and not far at all from where the backpackers had walked earlier. This was also exactly the spot where I had video tapped the big 5 raking for the better part of an hour a couple hours prior to my botched stalk when he and the other bulls had moved very close to where I now sat. His bugle sounds very much like the big 5 pt so I decide to push in there and see what he looks like and what might develop. As I get closer, bugling a little to try to work him up enough to 'play' I hear what sounds like the big growling bull I almost arrow the day before, but he seems to be well down the draw and in a tough stalking position.

Keeping that growler in mind, I continue toward what might be the big 5. As I get closer he trades 'normal' bugles for screams. I follow his more agressive lead and throw screams at him, starting at 200 yards out. I keep quiet as he keeps screaming at me and get as close as I dare without solid position info and get set up and range the shooting lines I have. Then I let out a good scream. He fires up right on top of my call and I hear him moving in. I see him at 60 or so yards and looking to head into one of the two clear lanes I had ranged 20/30/40-yard spots in. Problem is I see he is not the big 5 but something else and smaller, but do not get a great look.

He ends up hanging up and raking trees at 60/70 yards and midway between the two clear shooting lanes I have. He screams a couple more times and I answer but he stays put. Wracking my pea brain for a solution to get him to come to me since I doubt I am going to head into the thicker cover with any sort of positive outcome.

I try elknuts "popping grunt" to no effect. Supposedly that says "Show yourself already".

I tried a nice elongated and estrus whine sort of call with my Carlton "Fightin' cow call". That starts him to running in. Situational decision time. What if he comes in and is well short of my goal in terms of size? I determine if I like him, he is dead--this has been an awesome stalk and just my style of hunt. We'll see.

So he hits the very open gap I have in front of me at a run and I am at full draw when he hits it. Just when I think he is going to run straight though the 20-yard-wide gap he parks, broadside just a couple yards closer than my 40-yard ranged spot and keeps looking dead ahead. I study him with the eye not in the peep and then use both eyes to decide make my decision, "OK this it, easy shot, good stalk, OK bull 2nd to last afternoon, easy pack out...and let it fly....

Last edited:
Awesome pictures Khunter!! I sure wish i had the thought to take that many while i was out and about

Thanks.

It was a lot easier to focus on keeping the camera at hand and in use when I knew 90 percent of the bulls I saw were going to get a free pass to grow up some more. On anything more like an 'If it's brown it down" hunt I doubt the camera would have come out near as much...I'd see bulls closing in at 100 yards and start yanking out the camera when I saw it was not a bull to make me say "Wow!".

Other times I would take extra time to stalk bulls I would not shoot but that were relatively close just to enjoy the pictures I could get easily enough.

makes for great memories...

I watch the arrow connect and think “Oh no!” hit way too far back, miss stomach but maybe kidney or back of liver? Elevation was exactly where you want it but hit well back(left). Still not sure what happened and do not think he jumped the string. Maybe my release hand was not relaxed which can push my arrows left. In any case in the 10 yards he is in the open as he runs I see lots of blood.

I heard him running for a ways along the rim of the ‘bowl’ just below the saddle I just stalked in along and then start going downhill. Downhill is good.

Then I hear a couple cows running to catch up with him. Guess they had hung back when he came in since I had not heard them till then. That is not good. Cows pushing/pulling a wounded bull down the trail is not what I wanted to see.

I shot him at 1:30 pm and wait 1.5 hours since the hit was not good, but he is mortally wounded. In that time I track the first 80 yards of a heavy blood trail on level ground—knowing I heard him running well past that distance and then down a steep drainage. I also scour the grass and shrubs for my arrow but never find it. I know I had a pass-through, at least partially, since most of the bleeding is coming from the exit-wound side and my arrow definitely passed completely through the entrance side.

When I take up the blood trail in earnest about 3pm it is easy to follow with lots of dark blood and really easy to distinguish tracks that tear up the ground every step. I really take my time despite the easy trail because I do not want to risk jumping him. After the first couple hundred yards there are tracks from a couple cow elk crisscrossing his tracks. Eventually those cow tracks seem to dwindle to a single cow running with him. He reached the bottom of the draw and heads along a much flatter draw for a good ways.

At this point I keep thinking surely he will bed down or simply keel over. There is no water for miles the direction he is headed. He keeps heading in a straight line along the drainage and I am starting to lose light. I trailed him for a ways further with a headlamp but start having trouble keeping the track since the blood on the ground is much less and the only blood I found recently was smears on tall sage brush. All along the way he was barreling through the middle of tall sage bushes and busting them up rather than making any effort to navigate around them.

Perhaps a mistake but I decide to leave the trail till morning since I cannot see much with a headlamp and am also worried I misjudged the hit and he maybe be bedded nearby and I will make him bolt, if he is bedded.

The next morning, and with a couple great recruits in tow (one of whom was the rifle hunter I assisted the other day and who killed the bull I arrowed and lost; the other who helped me fix 2 flats on my truck at 5 am before I could get back on this bull), we take up the trail. Able to drive within a couple hundred yards of the last blood. We make short work of the tracking and find my bull!

It looked like he ran right up until he fell over just inside the first patch of PJ trees he encountered after a long run through sage. No bed or blood pool and no evidence of any struggle where he expired. I would guess he died within an hour of when I shot him based on the fact his tracks showed him to be running almost nonstop.

I am bummed that I was so close (within 300 yards) to finding him the day before. Maybe if I had thought about it more clearly I would have simply projected a straight line in to the pinons and at least looked/smelled for him in there—I did think he would die that day but was perplexed at the long distance 1+ mile he ran without bedding down so was worried about bumping him in the dark.

Ok photos….no not a monster by any stretch but I am totally satisfied with this bull and the hunt and what I put into it (20 solo hunting days and 12 scouting days) to make it the best I have been on--except I am sick about how poorly I shot when it mattered most. Not sure what went wrong but something to work on.

IMG_0907.png

Another photo, packing it out.
KirbyPackingBull.jpg

and another....

KirbyPackingOutQuarter.jpg

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to many folks who were great about sharing their knowledge of the unit as I prepared for the hunt. I probably called, e-mailed and generally harrassed 20 people after I drew the tag...many of those folks were very forthcoming and supportive.

Last edited:
Nice job, Kirby. You had one heck of a hunt, and ended up with a nice bull. Most guys wouldn't have had the willpower you had, but they wouldn't have had half the hunt either.

Khunter,

One of the best all around hunting posts on Hunttalk. Great story, better pics and you took us along on every bit of the hunt. Thank you and congratulations on a fabulous archery bull. You certainly earned him and filed memories away that you will remember for a very long time. Congratulations again on a job well done!

What an awesome thread to follow along with.
Thanks for taking us along the whole time, and congrats on a sweet bull and amazing hunt.

Khunter - that is book worthy! With all the GREAT pics and commentary - If I flipped through something along the lines of those pics and writing - I would buy it simply for good living room convo!

Khunter's journey for elk! Pic's galore with a write up of each / with some good 2-3 page write ups mixed in. Heck - get your camera maker to sponsor the costs! :)

Really enjoyable following along your events - Thanks a ton for sharing! Like Buschy said - this has been a TOP rated thread of HT! ;)

Nice job, Kirby. You had one heck of a hunt, and ended up with a nice bull. Most guys wouldn't have had the willpower you had, but they wouldn't have had half the hunt either.

I have had a number of guys (and the wife) ask if I regret not shooting one of the many good bulls I let walk at close range that were much larger than the one I killed. Answer is simple He^%#^LL no. No regrets. I knew what the bulls I elected to not shoot would score including a really nice 320 bull at 12 yards with 2.5 days remaining and I knew exactly what I was shooting when I killed the bull I did. I was there for a great hunt and maybe a great bull. Overall the hunt exceeded my high expectations.

Last edited:
Fantastic read, even though I was impatient, it was well worth the wait, thanks for sharing, and taking the time to take the photos, the writeup and let us all along on the adventure.

Man, you held out longer than a date on prom night before showing the harvest pics! :D

Excellent post and pics KHunter. Just another great example that the hunt itself is what it's all about. Only 20 more years and i too may have enough points to draw a prime CO elk unit.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back