Yeti GOBOX Collection

Chute planes..good or bad?

beardown

Back at good old MM theres a couple guys bitching saying chute planes are a major problem in northern AZ. I personally dont think its a big deal infact I've got some good info from somebody that uses them for scouting. People have been using regular planes for years to scout and nobodys bitching about that. I guess my point is you cant use them during the season ( I think 48 hours before the season starts you cant fly ) so you still have to find the game when hunting starts. What do you all think?

Much less damage than an ATV! :D Can one scout wilderness areas with them? I thought they had certain fly-over restrictions??? :confused:

Apparently its not a problem in KY ;) As for flying over wilderness areas I'm not sure. Thats a good question maybe someone else can anwer that one. The areas in AZ that those guys are talking about is all FS and one giant ranch and BLM.

I just wonder how much of an advantage a guy needs. Where does it end?

I guess all the latest gear...optics, rifles, clothing, etc. etc. etc. etc. just isnt enough. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is ceiling heights in wilderness, but from experience in MT's unlimited sheep areas, its not observed...

Why would anybody want to fly the wilderness?

According to Tenbears its all a beetle infested wasteland that only somebody with a fatcheckbook (cuz $6k ATVs are cheap) would go to.

Chute planes have become a hot topic in AZ, Ive seen a few of them out scouting aroiund and even buzzing by while the season was going on.
Chute planes are cheaper than real planes and any idiot can buy one and fly one.

You can cover alot of ground in a chute plane and not worry about tomany faa restrictions, they are cheaper to operat as well.
so for scouting a guided or chute plan owner can charge less than the use of a real plane.
you can cover some serious ground with one of these on a gallon of gas as well and landing and take off can be done almost anywhere.

To me its kinda cheesy flying and looking for big game to hunt.

Whats kinda funny is you didnt hear about tomany complaints from people about the people who use regualr planes for scouting but since these chute planes became popular thats all you hear about anymore.

I also dont think there is any FAA regulations of someone on the ground shooting one of these things down either ;) where as a airplane its a federal offence ;)

Delw

I think "chute planes" are the same thing as what I have heard called "ultralights." I'm guessing people refer to them as chute planes because they have a parachute attached for crash landings. Apparently it's not a matter of if these planes are going to crash, it's a matter of when.

Ah, thank you Delw! Not quite an ultralight, but very similar in concept. This is what I know as an ultralight:

img0060_hi.jpg

That being the case, I'd think they wouldn't want to "scout" with those simply because they're a long way from help when they crash. :eek:

I have been thinking of buying one to hunt southern idaho with, but I guess their kinda hard to steer in a cross wind.
:D

Back