Christmas dinner

duckhunt

Anybody cooking anything wild for the holidays? I think im gonna slice up some wild turkey breast, marinade it, then cook on the charcoal grill with some hickory chips for the smoke. Havent decided on wich marinade yet but thinking italian dressing. Anybody else got wild on the menu?

Elk. It's a German dish of my Mother's that I can't pronounce or spell correctly....Rolladen?.

Thinly sliced backstrap with seasoning. Put some yellow mustard on it. Lay a half strip of bacon on the slice. Baby dill pickle on the bacon. Roll it up tight and toothpick it.

Crockpot a pile of them for 6 hours or so and watch them disappear.

We're not doing the cooking this year but it still might be a little "wild". Our Christmas dinner will be a Hawaiian Luau on Oahu. 25th anniversary this year and we're getting away from all the family. Would RATHER be back in Alaska but that's coming the end of this coming February.

Grilled seasoned elk sirloin and tenderloin 'medallions' to snack while the dry rub baby back pork ribs are smoking.

Elk. It's a German dish of my Mother's that I can't pronounce or spell correctly....Rolladen?.

Thinly sliced backstrap with seasoning. Put some yellow mustard on it. Lay a half strip of bacon on the slice. Baby dill pickle on the bacon. Roll it up tight and toothpick it.

I may just have to try that! Thanks.

Elk. It's a German dish of my Mother's that I can't pronounce or spell correctly....Rolladen?

Good stuff right there. My wife's dad is full German and that is one I was introduced to early on.

Did Surf and Turf a few years back with a Whole Antelope backstrap. Spice Rub... Salt Pepper, Fresh Rosemary, a touch of ground ginger, paprika, and a few other things. Seared each side at 550-600 Deg on Grill. Drop temp to 275 Grill until just rare. Let it carry over to about medium rare, served with boilded Prawns and a Bernaise sauce.
Quite memorable...

I've been doing a variant of Rollepolse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiced_meat_roll

I use Elk (or deer) rib-meat. I'll make a paste of fresh herbs, olive oil, minced onion and minced garlic. Lay the rib-meat out, pound it a bit for thickness consistency. Spread the paste onto the meat and roll it up as tight as possible. Then I will double-wrap in tin-foil and bake for an hour @ 300 F.

After the roll has cooled to room temp, then you can press it overnight. Thin-slice the next day for cheese & cracker plate.

Christmas Dinner

Greyhound doesn't get in there until 5:10?

Traditional Christmas dinner here, but having all of my clan over on the 22nd so a big pot of meatballs from venison Italian sausage and whatever anybody wants to bring for munchies to go with it. Last count was 28 including six youngens from 19 mos-15 yrs. Should be crazy for a few hours, but that is what family is for..

Christmas Eve....6 PM...there'll be plenty so bring the Ms.:)

This thread is just killing me! I'm gonna eat whatever the one cook we have is serving……..and wishing I was having what you guys are having.

This thread is just killing me! I'm gonna eat whatever the one cook we have is serving……..and wishing I was having what you guys are having.

Me too Ray...blessings your way. Stay safe and thank you.

Do you put any liquid in there with these TBone? Or is the bacon enough to keep them from drying out?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back