Yeti GOBOX Collection

Smoker - who knew it was so easy

CORN

I've got a good buddy who smokes a lot of food. He uses an offset smoker, wakes up in the middle of the night multiple times to check his food, is doing something pretty much every hour when he's got food on the grill (painting on sauce, adjusting temps, wrapping in foil, etc). I love the food he makes but the process seems like a headache. For the past couple years I've debated getting one but decided I didn't have the time/energy to baby food like he does - despite how good the results are.

Well after my most recent hunt I was in a sporting goods store with friends, saw a Traeger with a promotion, went home and slept on it, talked to my friend the next day (he said don't get a Traeger, get an offset as the flavor will be better). Pulled the trigger on the Traeger regardless (I want set it and forget it convenience) and man I couldn't be happier. First up was a brisket, salt/pepper/paprika/garlic then 275 for 10 hours wrapping it in foil midway through. Was surprised how juicy it was with a great crust. Other than wrapping it in foil I didn't touch it once it was on the grill.

Next night I did chicken with bbq sauce, didn't even have time to marinade it, but it came out just as good. Think I had a false view of how difficult it is to smoke based on my buddy's method. Can't wait to try some game on it, gonna dig around here for recipes!

PXL_20201015_010100119.jpg

Last edited:
Right there with you, I bought one this summer after much hesitation - mostly because of the “love it or hate it” I’ve heard from so many people.

It’s not a grill, it’s an outdoor wood-fired convection oven and a super easy smoker.....as soon as people figure that out, I don’t know how you can not love a Traeger.

I use a similar trick by sous vide cooking for hours (completely automatically) then just finish on a gas grill with wood pellets to get the bark and smoke. Blasphemy to my neighbor who smokes with a Weber smoky mountain, but he agreed my brisket was better.

Some "stick burner" offset smokers can be finicky and need to be fed often. Pellet grills are convenient but for the price you don't get a whole lot of cooking space and I don't like that you need power to use it.
I run a cheaper offset smoker and had to feed it charcoal about every 1 1/2 hours. I built a charcoal basket with some baffles in it so the coals don't burn all at once. With that set up I can get 3-4 hours of burn time with it. Once I get my vents dialed in I can maintain a pretty consistent temp for 3-4 hours before I need to reload the basket. If I make another one deeper I bet I could get a good 6+ hours.

I loved my Traeger. It was old and just took its last breath, but I'm in the market for another one. Have you been on Traeger's website? They have a bunch of recipes on there too.

I loved my Traeger. It was old and just took its last breath, but I'm in the market for another one. Have you been on Traeger's website? They have a bunch of recipes on there too.
Yep! Been spending a good bit of time there and on youtube looking at recipes. Cooking game is still intimidating me, but eventually I'm gonna go for it.

Yep! Been spending a good bit of time there and on youtube looking at recipes. Cooking game is still intimidating me, but eventually I'm gonna go for it.
I prefer to use the Traeger for game, especially bear roasts and burgers so I can monitor the inside temp easier and it gives it that nice smoky flavor. Deer/elk steaks i still and will always use a cast iron skillet for though. Dove and quail breasts poppers on the Traeger are a game changer too. I've taken bear chili and put it in a cast iron skillet and thrown it in the smoker for a little which adds a nice smoke flavor. Lots of different options and things you can do with them.

Smart move, I picked mine up 10 years ago and have never looked back. Only issue has been the wire going to the hot rod somehow was knicked by the fan, simple fix. Only regret has been not getting a larger size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back