Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bad cooks in the family?

I made it off the list. First, the smoked turkey on Thanksgiving was better than the "backup" cooked in the oven. Second, today I managed a rib roast that was too close to perfect for me to be banned from the kitchen any longer.

No longer known just for my burnt offerings.

David
NM
would a ''well done'' be out of line...

I made it off the list. First, the smoked turkey on Thanksgiving was better than the "backup" cooked in the oven. Second, today I managed a rib roast that was too close to perfect for me to be banned from the kitchen any longer.

No longer known just for my burnt offerings.

David
NM
Congratulations
It's kind of like moving from the kid's table

Last edited:
Microwave a whole turkey? Why not. horrendous.

in the mid 80s, when my Mother was in the hospital just before Christmas (died a few weeks later), my sister invited my wife and I over for "Christmas Dinner"
she had just gotten a microwave
nuked that turkey, whole, and was proud of using the "modern device"

turkey was the palest, ugliest thing I ever saw, before or since

never, NEVER do that

in the mid 80s, when my Mother was in the hospital just before Christmas (died a few weeks later), my sister invited my wife and I over for "Christmas Dinner"
she had just gotten a microwave
nuked that turkey, whole, and was proud of using the "modern device"

turkey was the palest, ugliest thing I ever saw, before or since

never, NEVER do that
I just can't fathom that lol.

My bro can cook meat ok, that's it. Everything my SIL ever made tasted like it did in 1970... veggitarian with too much soy.

A couple sisters can cook, sort of.

Dad could cook anything and often did. Mom could hold her own but the Buckeye in her always raised it's bland head.
When the folks met the ex they were blown away. She can cook. Anything and everything and gets raves from chefs.
Dad just said, "She's a Keeper" after the berry pie.

We’ve got a set of neighbors like that, the Mrs invites them to our place for dinner every now and again so she (the neighbor) feels obligated I guess to return the favor…and it’s no favor!

Last time it was a bland undercooked crumbling meatloaf, overcooked green beans, and a mashed & gravy that was more of a slurry than anything else. She went into the kitchen to open another bottle of wine and her husband just looked at me and mouthed “I’m sorry!”. Then the next day he brought me over a 6-pack of amber ale from the local brewery lol… I feel like we should leave meals on the front porch for the poor guy, kinda like taking in a stray!

We’ve got a set of neighbors like that, the Mrs invites them to our place for dinner every now and again so she (the neighbor) feels obligated I guess to return the favor…and it’s no favor!

Last time it was a bland undercooked crumbling meatloaf, overcooked green beans, and a mashed & gravy that was more of a slurry than anything else. She went into the kitchen to open another bottle of wine and her husband just looked at me and mouthed “I’m sorry!”. Then the next day he brought me over a 6-pack of amber ale from the local brewery lol… I feel like we should leave meals on the front porch for the poor guy, kinda like taking in a stray!
That poor bastard....imagine coming home to that every night. Life's too short.

I’ve been blessed in this regard. Growing up every female in both sides of my family could cook. Most of the guys could handle a grill. My mom was a great cook, both sisters are good cooks. I can be a good cook if I have the time. My wife is a good cook and her mom and both sisters are good cooks. My only issue has been holiday meals. Everyone spends hours with their contribution and then we get together and by the time we’re eating everything has gotten cold. It just never does the meal justice for any of the cooks involved. My wife and I have had enough and are buying big roasters, that everything can stay warm in until all the little details are finished.

My go-to is simple. If it is a small family gathering I bring 1 bottle of very good champagne.
If there are more than 4 drinkers, I bring 2. It makes them and the food palatable.
Last night at family members'place, who is on some sort of goofy diet, I put sister in charge of
the buffalo, which turned out great. cracked open the bubbly and turned on the football game.

My go-to is simple. If it is a small family gathering I bring 1 bottle of very good champagne.
If there are more than 4 drinkers, I bring 2. It makes them and the food palatable.
Last night at family members'place, who is on some sort of goofy diet, I put sister in charge of
the buffalo, which turned out great. cracked open the bubbly and turned on the football game.
Figured you more a Jadot Pouilly Fuisse uncle...

One thing I learned, if I am hosting: Greet everyone with a smile. If it is cold out, I put a warm
drink in their hand. Warm out, a cold drink. And a couple diff snack trays that run the gamete
on choice.
It gets the whole affair off to a good start.
No matter what happens in between, I always buy a couple of different pies from a very good
pie shop.
Good desert covers a lot of problems ;)

One thing I learned, if I am hosting: Greet everyone with a smile. If it is cold out, I put a warm
drink in their hand. Warm out, a cold drink. And a couple diff snack trays that run the gamete
on choice.
It gets the whole affair off to a good start.
No matter what happens in between, I always buy a couple of different pies from a very good
pie shop.
Good desert covers a lot of problems ;)
words of wisdom.

My brother-in-law thinks he can cook but he's a lousy cook.
One of his self-proclaimed "famous" dishes is his version of jambalaya. He makes it using brown rice which is nasty to begin with but it's usually crunchy and undercooked just like the vegetable he puts in it. He then makes it so spicy that nobody can eat it.
He also makes a cornbread dressing in a baking pan that is also nasty. It's full of black olives, tons of fresh herbs which are overpowering and slices of hard boiled eggs which he boils for 30 minutes, they're like rubber balls. Even his own wife won't eat it. Whenever he makes it for a family gathering it just sits there and nobody touches it. No one will tell him the truth and my wife won't let me tell him.
His 20 minute pork ribs are burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. They are of course inedible.
I could go on and on but I'll just stop here. 🤮🤮

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back