Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza

Oak

Expert
BRUSH, Colo. – Over the course of the past week, CPW wildlife officers have received several reports of snow geese displaying symptoms of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) near the towns of Brush and Fort Morgan in Morgan County.

After investigating and sending samples for testing to CPW’s Wildlife Health Lab in Fort Collins, CPW has received a presumptive positive result for HPAI.

“Now that we’ve had a presumptive positive test, we’re asking members of the public who find dead snow geese in Morgan County to presume it’s highly pathogenic avian influenza,” said CPW Wildlife Pathologist Karen Fox. “CPW and the Colorado Department of Agriculture are asking the public not to touch any dead birds they find.”

CPW and the CDA are continuing to investigate the outbreak in Morgan County.

Resources on HPAI
Please see the CDA’s website for more information and links to situation reports on the State Of Colorado Response to HPAI.

It is critical to report sick birds or unusual bird deaths.
  • Sick birds or birds that have died from unknown causes:
    • Call the Avian Health Hotline at Colorado State University (CSU): (970) 297-4008
  • Dead birds:
    • Submit to the CSU Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Fort Collins for HPAI Testing: (970) 297-4008 or (970) 297-1281
  • Multiple domestic sick birds or multiple unusual domestic bird deaths:
    • Call the Colorado State Veterinarian’s Office (303) 869-9130 or the USDA-Veterinary Services Colorado Office (303) 231-5385
  • Wild Birds (not domestic):
    • If you find three or more dead wild birds in a specific area within a two-week period OR if you see live birds showing clinical signs of disease, please contact your local Colorado Parks and Wildlife office. During the holiday or after hours, contact Colorado State Patrol at 719-544-2424 for the on-call wildlife officer.
“Some of the snow geese in Morgan County have shown signs of HPAI that include being too comfortable around humans, stumbling when trying to walk, and shaking,” said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Todd Schmidt. “But birds can be infected and not show any signs at all.”

Most wild birds that are infected with avian influenza viruses do not show signs of disease. However, HPAI strains can occasionally cause disease in some wildlife species including swans, diving ducks, gulls, geese, grebes, raptors, vultures, cranes and terns. In these birds, typical symptoms include swimming in circles, head tilt and lack of coordination. Game bird species such as turkeys, grouse, and quail may also be susceptible to HPAI with signs more similar to poultry such as swelling of the head, diarrhea, moving slowly, ruffled feathers, respiratory signs, and not eating. Some affected wild birds are found dead.

Wild birds can serve as vectors that can transmit HPAI to domestic poultry. For backyard or commercial poultry, HPAI is a very contagious, fatal animal disease that can decimate a flock in less than 48 hours. Domestic flock owners should protect their birds through good biosecurity practices, monitor flocks for signs of illness, and report suspicious disease or mortality events to the State Veterinarian’s Office at 303-869-9130.

Waterfowl hunters should take steps to minimize the risk of spreading the virus, such as not handling or eating sick game, field dressing the game, and wearing personal protective equipment while handling and cleaning game. When done handling game, wash hands thoroughly with soap or disinfectant, and clean knives, equipment, and surfaces that come in contact with game. Do not eat, drink, or smoke while handling animals. All game should be thoroughly cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit before being consumed.

In rare cases, avian influenza can pass to humans, especially those exposed to sick birds. Hunters are advised to monitor their health for any signs of flu-like symptoms within a week of handling birds. Anyone who feels ill, should visit their health care provider.

More information about HPAI is available on CPW’s website.

HPAI is a big deal in the falconry world. I'm not allowing anyone to accompany me on hunts, and those are sparse and on upland birds only. I've limited my waterfowling and make sure to not handle my bird until I've disinfected and cleared for a day. Locally, one falconer has lost his goshawk to it, presumably from a quail. It's 100% fatal for raptors.

Montana says hold my beer

Three juvenile grizzly bears tested positive for highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus this fall. The three bears, one near Augusta, one near Dupuyer, and another near Kalispell, were observed to be in poor condition and exhibited disorientation and partial blindness, among other neurological issues. They were euthanized due to their sickness and poor condition. These were the first documented cases of HPAI in grizzly bears. A fox and a skunk in Montana also tested positive for HPAI last year, and the virus has been found in raccoons, black bears and even a coyote in other states and countries.

“We suspect these mammals probably get the virus from consuming infected birds,” said FWP Wildlife Veterinarian Jennifer Ramsey.

Finding eggs in the stores around here is difficult right now. Apparently Tri-Cities up in WA got hit with it really hard.
I smashed an old lady with my cart and grabbed the last dozen off the shelf at Safeway the other day.

Unrelated question - can it be transferred to wolves? Asking for a deer friend of mine.

Go out to any local resevoir in CO that has open water and see the carnage. The number of geese with it is unreal and the coyotes are picking them up all day long,

Every time a flock takes off you will see 1-2 -3 birds fall like they were shotgunned.

CO Department of Ag gave an update to the CPW Commission a short while ago. They said CO has lost 6.3 million domestic poultry to HPAI, over 90% of the commercial egg-layers in the state.

View attachment 261204
And now the state has decided to double up on the Ag community and force them all to have “cage free” eggs which will take a toll as well…

CO Department of Ag gave an update to the CPW Commission a short while ago. They said CO has lost 6.3 million domestic poultry to HPAI, over 90% of the commercial egg-layers in the state.

View attachment 261204
From my understanding if you have a bird that tests positive you kill all your birds. Would be interesting if that many birds actually died from it.

Montana says hold my beer

Three juvenile grizzly bears tested positive for highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus this fall. The three bears, one near Augusta, one near Dupuyer, and another near Kalispell, were observed to be in poor condition and exhibited disorientation and partial blindness, among other neurological issues. They were euthanized due to their sickness and poor condition. These were the first documented cases of HPAI in grizzly bears. A fox and a skunk in Montana also tested positive for HPAI last year, and the virus has been found in raccoons, black bears and even a coyote in other states and countries.

“We suspect these mammals probably get the virus from consuming infected birds,” said FWP Wildlife Veterinarian Jennifer Ramsey.
Sounds like it’s hitting the front with force. Wonder what toll that’s taking on all the Hutterite poultry operations over there?

Normally I am a pretty avid waterfower especially this time of year, but I'm laying low this year. Just isn't worth the very small risk of getting sick or my kids sick.

Just when I start to get the itch and think maybe it's passed us by they'll report on a little group of birds they found somewhere near where I hunt and I put the decoys back up.

From my understanding if you have a bird that tests positive you kill all your birds. Would be interesting if that many birds actually died from it.

Commercial poultry disease protocol requires depopulation of all infected flocks. One could say that a flock isn’t dying only from AI but if it isn’t contained it will continue to spread throughout a locale.

There’s a lot of chances for cross contamination with feed trucks that go from farm to farm and personnel who are taking care of the birds.

Pacific flyway is getting hit hard with it too. Hunted a property where they made it clear to not touch the dead birds. Every road and check had dead snow geese on it, and there was a group there cleaning those roads up daily. Still shot a bunch of birds without an issue, but Ive never seen anything like it before.

And now the state has decided to double up on the Ag community and force them all to have “cage free” eggs which will take a toll as well…

How will that increase infection? Cage free chickens aren’t free range. They are still confined within the building.

Might be worth one minute to listen to Wayne East from the CO department of Ag on that subject yesterday. Video should start at the correct spot.

In my recent travels up & down the Rio Grande I have noticed shockingly low numbers of birds out there.

I worked with a client for several years that was in the layer hen business and had to visit their facilities several times a year. It was very interesting to see the transition in 2014-2015 with the precautions taken for bird flu. Before that I was able to walk into the barns with just some little booties and hair net. After that I had to strip down and go through a clean room and get UV sterilization. They had a euthanize some of their pullet barns but managed to avoid it in 2015. Based on some quick searches it looks like they may have avoided it for 2022.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back