Chili

----

I think part of being a hunter is having a good chili recipe. I've always fought with mine, making it either way too hot or way too flattulent fuelish. This winter I think I've reached a happy medium and have done three pots with this current recipe with great results.

4 slices bacon
2 pounds diced ungulate meat
1 can red kidney beans
1 can chick peas
1 big diced white onion
2 diced bell peppers (I use green but any color should work)
1 can chopped tomato
1 can beef stock
1 can tomato paste
Chili powder
Garlic
Cumin

Cook bacon a little underdone, then brown diced meat in bacon grease. Chop up bacon, add to meat, and put in to crock pot or Dutch oven. Layer the rest of ingredients in, adding spices throughout. Cook all day on lowest setting.

I'd be curious to see your guys' recipes.

Mine is fairly similar except without the beef stock or bacon. I also do mine on the stove top in just a big pot.

Pretty much the same as yours other than I use a 1/2 can of beer for liquid and add a teaspoon of Hersheys Cocoa.

I think part of being a hunter is having a good chili recipe. I've always fought with mine, making it either way too hot or way too flattulent fuelish. This winter I think I've reached a happy medium and have done three pots with this current recipe with great results.

4 slices bacon
2 pounds diced ungulate meat
1 can red kidney beans
1 can chick peas
1 big diced white onion
2 diced bell peppers (I use green but any color should work)
1 can chopped tomato
1 can beef stock
1 can tomato paste
Chili powder
Garlic
Cumin

Cook bacon a little underdone, then brown diced meat in bacon grease. Chop up bacon, add to meat, and put in to crock pot or Dutch oven. Layer the rest of ingredients in, adding spices throughout. Cook all day on lowest setting.

I'd be curious to see your guys' recipes.

I use pinto beans and black beans instead of red beans and chick peas. I also use some crushed red pepper. I like the flavor of the added red pepper over straight chili powder. I like my chili thick and chunky so I also use some masa flour to thicken if the batch is a little thin when I am out of cooking time.

I would post Mrs. Fin's chili recipe, but sharing such long-crafted secrets could get me in trouble.

2 lbs of ground deer with Wick Fowler's 2 alarm. I never use ground elk, it's just too darn good unseasoned. Add a little extra cumin and thickening masa....just say no to beans.

2 lbs of ground deer with Wick Fowler's 2 alarm. I never use ground elk, it's just too darn good unseasoned. Add a little extra cumin and thickening masa....just say no to beans.

I'm actually with you on the beanless recipes, but I can't get the wife on board. That's also why there's no jalapeños in my recipe above.

I like the idea of thickening it up though, when do you guys add the masa? Do you add it as a roux or just the flour?

I add masa mixed with warm water last and simmer for about 30 mins. I halve the cayenne for a milder heat.

Seasons are over and we now talk recipes, masa, roux? You boys best check your man cards. :) :D

Ask yourself- What would Cam do?

Wolf season is open.

Mines not nearly that involved.

2# ground critter
1 onion
2 large cans diced tomatoes/jalepenos
1 large can crushed tomatoe
2 large cans chili beans (mild to hot depending on prevference)
2 packets chilli seasoning
1 TBSP cocoa depending on the mood

Brown the meat in a pot. Through the rest in and simmer. Easy peasy. Real easy in a slow cooker.

"Too Manly For Chili- The Autobiography Of The Bitterroot Brethren"

Chili is a staple of the "Bitterroot Brethern" Talking about the recipe isn't.

I do like to make mine out of the real kidney beans, soaked over night. Stewed tomato's and a can of minced are added to the ingredients to make it great. Have fun with your recipes! :D

Beano is not allowed.

Wolf! That, my friend, would be as bad going out as going in I'm afraid.
---
My elk chili recipe is pretty much the same. Have never used bacon, but brown up our deer sausage. BUT, because I haven't an elk or a deer in the freezer this year ( making a lot of tag soup this winter). Forced to buy a 1/4 beef for the 1st time in 20 years.
I throw in chopped up pickled jalapeño (my buddy puts up a few bushels), and 1/2 can of Dale's Pale Ale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back