MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Chili

Then you should be off the innernets and conversing with your bride and dog. :D

We're just snuggling waiting for the dinner bell...

55918271-2607-4DD1-8034-7DD9CD86F24D.jpg

Just pulled a pot off the stove about an hour ago. The Mrs was surprised the kitchen was clean and dinner ready when she got home. Just a slight splash too much of red pepper flakes for her taste, but not too much. I did forget a pinch of cumin when I posted up my last recipe though. Chili is always better the next day warmed up. JMHO

Here is a good chili recipe I have worked on for some time if anyone is interested in trying something new.....
First...4 slices of thick cut bacon rendered down leaving all the fat in the pot.
Next...Dice up 2 onions 1 red, 1green 1 Pasilla Pepper and sauté a few minutes.
Next...Add
3 tab.Ancho Chili powder
2 tsp Cumin
2 Tsp garlic powder
1.5 Tsp Coriander
1.5 Tsp of Hungarian Hot paprika (or to your taste).....
1 Tsp Mexican Oregano (crush it in your hands before you add it)
Salt and Pepper to your taste
Sauté all the spices with the onions, peppers and bacon to get the raw taste out of the spices.
Then add
1 Tab. of Hershey unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5Tab. Of brown sugar.
Cook for one minute
Add your meat...I use 3-1-1 3 lbs game meat 1 lb.ground beef and 1 lb. ground pork. I grind my beef and pork myself because I don’t want any other seasonings in the chili. Pork shoulder trimmings and chuck roast work well. Brown the meat and then add....and this is important
2 cans have crushed SAN MARZANO TOMATOS. They might be hard to find but they are the best tomatoes you can buy and in my opinion makes a difference.
Add 1 cup of beef stock (I make my own but you can buy it)
and 1 beer which ever kind you like.
Let that simmer on low for 2 hrs. Uncovered so it can reduce and thicken.

Now this is a guideline and peoples personal tastes differ but I do a lot of cooking and it’s the best one I have come up with. Now if you choose you can thicken it with a little masa but I don’t. Letting it reduce intensifies the flavors. As for the BEANS...LOL ...do what you like...I personally like beans but when I make it for my father in law I leave them out....he won’t embrace the bean either....I do not use canned beans because I do not like the texture...they are a pile of mush. I soak pinto beans in water overnight, cook them in beef stock until they are tender but firm and then add them to the chili.....enjoy.....I know I know...let the wise cracks begin for the city slicker with the chili recipe.....:cool:

This chilli is a multi-day affair - so I only do it about once a year. And the recipe is always changing a bit for fun. Maybe with the Super Bowl coming up I'll do a batch.

First - smoke some meat. I've done smoked brisket, pork shoulder and a hind quarter off a whitetail doe. If it's brisket - then I'll chunk it up into 1 inch cubes. Pork will get pulled. The deer meat can be a mix, depending on how it turns out from the smoker. After it's smoked I reserve some for the chilli. A couple of pounds is enough.

Second - make a chilli/pepper 'stock'. Here I take bunch of chilli's (I've used a bunch of different ones - dried, roasted, smoked and different chilli's - Poblano, Green, etc ). I cut them up so they are in small pieces. Put them in a blender with Chicken stock and a rough chopped onion. Blend to a smooth consistency. You can add heat to this (if the family allows). Just blend in a fresh hot pepper or 2, or 3 (habanero, jalepeno, serano).

Third - Start putting stuff together. Dice an onion, a few cloves garlic (leeks are good too). Saute in lard and then add seasoning. Paprika is always there. Cumin, Coriander etc. The spice mixes change every time.

After the onions are translucent, then I add stock (Chicken is good, but Beef is tasty too). I like to use Lentils over beans - so I add some Lentils and let those cook for a couple of hours. Then I add in the Chilli / pepper stock from step 2, cook for a bit (an hour or so).

After the lentils are done to my liking, then I'll add in the meat from step 1. Since the meat is already cooked, I just let the meat simmer in the chilli for about 30 minutes. If it cooks longer - the smoke flavor leaves the meat. The flavor is still in the chilli - but it's not as noticeable in the meat.

So mine's not really a 'recipe'. More of a rough guideline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPN
Back